Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea

you could go to 4 3 3 in which case Azpi or James would be under threat

james   silva tony chiller

kante jorgi mount

havertz Lukaku Werner 

or you could rotate werner/havertz/lukaku just picking 2 of them

Personally I like the wing back system but I like it much more when we play cho and or pulisic as the wing backs. I thought CHO was brilliant as LWB against arsenal, basically just about as good as Hakimi particularly if CHO could just put the ball in the net when he gets in position.

11 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

I reckon if Lukaku is keen, the deal will happen. Inter is in trouble financially, and with Conte gone there's nothing keep him there. There are 3 choices we have, pay over the top for a proven striker like Lukaku or Haaland , pay a lot for a good striker like Inglis or DCL, or do nothing and hoping the likes of Werner and Havetz will step up. Given we just won the big one, the best option is to go all out and get the proven striker. With 60 games a season, Werner/Havetz/Pullisic will still play hell a lot of football, so there's room for 1 more.

Inter apparently rejected a few of our bids already so that doesn't sound like they are in a financial trouble and they sold Hakimi to PSG already. I don't like Lukaku signing for us because it will take 1 bad game and the majority of the fan base will hate him and after that I doubt that he would have the mentality to keep going, too much mixed feelings involved.

We can also sign another young striker that just like Lukaku scored over 20 goals in Serie A for much less money, left footed Vlahovic that is being labeled as the new Vieri. Reports say he's about to sign the extension contract with Fiorentina with a minimal release clause of 60m which Spurs would pay if Kane is off to Man City.

I don't like this one bit. It must sound I have something against the big man. I don't. I actually like Lukaku. I just don't want us paying over 100m of a player that is 28 years old and is one of our old players. I feel if you use that much money you should make it an investment of some sort. Lukaku is not...

It is not your money! No it isn't but if he doesn't start scoring we will sack Tuchel who for me is at this moment much more of an asset than Lukaku is. I really hope Tuchel actually wants Lukaku and everything it brings with him. 

1 hour ago, evissy said:

I don't like this one bit. It must sound I have something against the big man. I don't. I actually like Lukaku. I just don't want us paying over 100m of a player that is 28 years old and is one of our old players. I feel if you use that much money you should make it an investment of some sort. Lukaku is not...

It is not your money! No it isn't but if he doesn't start scoring we will sack Tuchel who for me is at this moment much more of an asset than Lukaku is. I really hope Tuchel actually wants Lukaku and everything it brings with him. 

And if we bought Haaland for 200m and he didn't start scoring we wouldn't sack Tuchel in your scenario...?

11 minutes ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

And if we bought Haaland for 200m and he didn't start scoring we wouldn't sack Tuchel in your scenario...?

We would. We'd also have one of the best attacking talents in our team at 21. 

5 hours ago, timetowaste said:

Really looking forward to the prospect of Lukaku coming back here, I thought the deal was pretty much impossible a few days ago. The transformation since he’s left Man Utd is staggering, not just physically but his ability.

81AE6019-CDF6-4F71-8057-DD3EB38E4699.jpeg

I don’t trust any photos anymore, but that is certainly interesting. Is it real?

6 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Inter apparently rejected a few of our bids already so that doesn't sound like they are in a financial trouble and they sold Hakimi to PSG already. I don't like Lukaku signing for us because it will take 1 bad game and the majority of the fan base will hate him and after that I doubt that he would have the mentality to keep going, too much mixed feelings involved.

We can also sign another young striker that just like Lukaku scored over 20 goals in Serie A for much less money, left footed Vlahovic that is being labeled as the new Vieri. Reports say he's about to sign the extension contract with Fiorentina with a minimal release clause of 60m which Spurs would pay if Kane is off to Man City.

Watch Vlahovic move to Spurs as a replacement for Kane & rip up the league.

7 hours ago, axman2526 said:

I think Lukaku would cost Mount his spot in the team. He would become Havertz backup imo

Kante---Jorgi

Havertz----Lukaku----Werner

I am 100% sure it won't happen because basically you will play 3 st and 7 at the back with almost no connection between them

8 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

xG predicts that Werner should have scored 12 goals; he scored just 6. That should improve, but not by a huge amount. We're going to need goals from elsewhere.

I agree with you that it needs to be Havertz though. I saw enough of him at Leverkusen and at the back end of last season to show that his future as a top-tier player lies in him being able to play as a striker. 

Long term wise I completely agree but short term, I have massive doubt. I don't think  Havertz can survive playing as no 9 for whole season in pl right now. 

I think if this goes through its good for us. Modern football is all about squads now and depth. The last two teams to win the UCL have had insane squads (Bayern and us). The other two teams that reached the finals in those 2 seasons had insane squads as well (PSG and City). 

Yes Lukaku would be coming to be a starter but, that doesn't mean Tuchel won't see some games as an opportunity to rotate his attackers including striker. I've seen enough from Thomas to know that he wants and likes to rotate.

Furthermore be needs a target man in his squad, even when he had the strike force of Cavani, Mbappe, Neymar and DiMaria he still wanted a target man. Not necessarily Icardi but, he asked the PSG board for a target man.

Yes we have a fluid attack at the moment and an additional more typical striker would suggest this balance could be thrown off.

But, what some pople need to understand is what Lukaku would offer us is no different to what Haaland would offer as well.

Both would have a similar role for us up front, tasked with holding up the ball, at least pressing from the front when possible, running in behind and getting involved in the build up again when possible.

The difference between an elite number 9 and what we have is, the players we have can do all of these tasks but, we are in urgent need of someone that can also finish off our moves. Currently no body wants to wait in the box and score 1 touch finishes, headers etc. 

By all means complain about the Lukaku singning because he's not your preference, because he's older than Haaland, because his resale value isn't high, because you're not sure he will be as good in the prem as the Serie A. But, please don't sit here and say he wont fit our style of play and then turn around say that we need to sign Haaland.

For what it's worth I think if Lukaku does sign he will surprise a few. If Conte likes him that often means a player has tremendous mental strength and work ethic.

Conte turns his players into warriors. These are the kinds of players we need. Lukaku would return as the prodigal son.

We made mistakes with Salah, KDB and Lukaku. If we have the chance to sign one of them back and they're just as motivated as the others to prove the doubters wrong why would we not want this especially considering its not our money?

He's played in a back 3 system to great effect he's grown as a man and a player. He's won a league as the top goal scorer on his team and been valued the mvp in a league that consists of Ronaldo, Ibra, Dybala amongst a few other star names. 

I was only really sceptical about this deal because it appeared he didn't want to come, as this has now been reportedly debunked I'm all for this. In a world where all our rivals are strengthening, I think this is good for us. Not to mention the guy is a Chelsea fan and dreamt of being our new age Drogba since he was a kid. 

Edited by LongtimerLurker

2 hours ago, evissy said:

We would. We'd also have one of the best attacking talents in our team at 21. 

Haaland was the dream, he'd be like a Rooney to united investment where it looks expensive but over the course it was one of their best transfers. 

I'll take Lukaku though as he's the next best option

2 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

Haaland was the dream, he'd be like a Rooney to united investment where it looks expensive but over the course it was one of their best transfers. 

I'll take Lukaku though as he's the next best option

Maybe this is idiotic but for Champions of Europe I feel next best thing is something like Europa League. 

I feel this isn't fuelled by Tuchel but the club who has something sort of internal pressure to just sign someone to show their power. 

If the transfer happens I will root for Lukaku for sure as I like him as a player but I still think this is a mistake. 

Lukaku has extra pressure over the transfer sum, his history with the club and adding something to Champions of Europe. Media will make a meal of it. 

Not sure why I feel so negative about this. 

4 hours ago, evissy said:

I just don't want us paying over 100m of a player that is 28 years old and is one of our old players. I feel if you use that much money you should make it an investment of some sort. 

The investment is buying a player with a proven track record of scoring goals for a team that has struggled to score goals. 

When we bought Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink we paid a club record fee. He was about 28 years old and had previously played for a fierce rival of ours. 

But Chris Sutton had failed miserably and the goals Flo, Zola and Poyet were scoring weren't good enough for our ambitions.

And I'm sure I don't need to remind you of just how good JFH was. 

That's the investment we'd be making by signing Lukaku. 

I dont quite get the negativity around this transfer to be honest, like really.

If the Scums were willing to sell to us in a parallel universe, most of the guys in the forum would undoubtedly be happy if we were to spend 160m on Harry Kane, who is 28 as well. I would argue that Lukaku is the 3rd best pure striker in Europe, behind Lewa and Haaland with Kane behind him. I dont get the fuss around Kane who has done nothing significant in his career and in the 2 most important games in his life - CL and Euro finals, he was nowhere to be seen on the pitch. 

Ever since Lukaku joined Inter, he was pivotal in their Europa League final appearance and winning the Seria A. He is a proven goal scorer, which is exactly what we need, and Haaland was causa perduta from the get go. He had his sights set on Madrid or Barcelona, considers us a "small club" and a CL victory wont change his mind. We are not getting Lewa either so this negativity when we are actually buying one of the top strikers in the world is literally beyond me.

Tuchel wants him in the squad and that is enough for me. By getting Lukaku we would actually have some flexibility in the squad and select the starting 11 based on the opponent. I am actually hoping we wrap this up fast so that the focus can shift towards Kounde and a CM if possible. 

Don't see the problem either with adding a slightly older leader to our otherwise very young attack.

And is it not fair to say at least half the league press high these days? Certainly the top 6 and then you have at least Brighton, Southampton, Villa, Norwich and Leeds that tend to press you. To have an outlet like Lukaku in these games and not to mention the CL will be fantastic.

16 minutes ago, Hensi said:

I . I dont get the fuss around Kane who has done nothing significant in his career and in the 2 most important games in his life - CL and Euro finals, he was nowhere to be seen on the pitch. 

Kane has 166 goals from 242 premier league games and a bunch of assists as well. His record is outstanding. On the negative side he has been regularly injured and seems to have lost pace. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

The investment is buying a player with a proven track record of scoring goals for a team that has struggled to score goals. 

When we bought Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink we paid a club record fee. He was about 28 years old and had previously played for a fierce rival of ours. 

But Chris Sutton had failed miserably and the goals Flo, Zola and Poyet were scoring weren't good enough for our ambitions.

And I'm sure I don't need to remind you of just how good JFH was. 

That's the investment we'd be making by signing Lukaku. 

Good point!

1 minute ago, Hensi said:

I dont quite get the negativity around this transfer to be honest, like really.

If the Scums were willing to sell to us in a parallel universe, most of the guys in the forum would undoubtedly be happy if we were to spend 160m on Harry Kane, who is 28 as well. I would argue that Lukaku is the 3rd best pure striker in Europe, behind Lewa and Haaland with Kane behind him. I dont get the fuss around Kane who has done nothing significant in his career and in the 2 most important games in his life - CL and Euro finals, he was nowhere to be seen on the pitch. 

Ever since Lukaku joined Inter, he was pivotal in their Europa League final appearance and winning the Seria A. He is a proven goal scorer, which is exactly what we need, and Haaland was causa perduta from the get go. He had his sights set on Madrid or Barcelona, considers us a "small club" and a CL victory wont change his mind. We are not getting Lewa either so this negativity when we are actually buying one of the top strikers in the world is literally beyond me.

Tuchel wants him in the squad and that is enough for me. By getting Lukaku we would actually have some flexibility in the squad and select the starting 11 based on the opponent. I am actually hoping we wrap this up fast so that the focus can shift towards Kounde and a CM if possible. 

When you say Lukaku "was pivotal in their Europa League final appearance" what do you mean, exactly? In that final he scored an early penalty and then scored an own goal that ended up being a winner for Sevilla. 

I also have reservations about Lukaku's possible reaction to rotation. His impressive goal scoring record is mostly due to being prolific against fodder, against top sides he regularly struggles. Yet he's got a huge ego and I wonder how he'll take being left out of the first eleven when we decide to go with the false nine in certain important games.

Now, he does help us massively when it comes to goal scoring, which was our biggest problem last season. As much as I dislike his limitations, Lukaku certainly is a prolific scorer and is clearly better at it than anyone in our current squad. If he can buy into Tuchel's system and score his usual seasonal amount , it's difficult to see the downside to his arrival. I just hope that he stays fit and keeps his ego in check because it looks like it's actually happening.

I’m absolutely buzzed by this; the guy is world class; is an absolute warrior; I mean can you imagine being up against him in his prime as a defender? He’s going to get better and better. He’s working harder and harder on his physical attributes and his technique will improve under Tuchel even more. Anyone that thinks he’s not worth his price in today’s world is absolutely deluded and really ought to switch on a bit.

• Mod Stark changed the title to Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea