Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea - and gone again!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

https://sempreinter.com/2021/08/05/suning-accept-chelseas-obscene-lukaku-offer-as-inter-directors-failed-to-meet-financial-objectives-italian-media-report/

"Adding to this the fact that the likes of Alexis Sanchez, Ivan Perisic, and Arturo Vidal are currently set to stay on at the club, and the ownership is still displeased with the financial situation at the club even after Hakimi’s sale."

The irony of Inter's finances being f**ked up because of Conte's expensive has-beens, do people still think we should have given this guy a blank cheque?

45 minutes ago, evissy said:

Plan B for me would be to trust what we have. I don't understand why we can't give Tammy a glimmer of hope and trust Kai, Timo and Hakim to multiply their numbers in terms of scoring. 

I thought Ziyech looked good playing more centrally though it was a friendly.

The Inter thing now looks messy, the important thing is get someone in, even if not a striker like that Seville defender Kaunde (spelling?).

If we stay as we were no-one is kept on their toes and the squad can become complacent.

Apparently we're pushing to get this deal over the line by Sunday. Ideally so we can have big Rom signed up before the deadline for the super cup. 

I think we'll get it done I'm just not sure it will be in time for the super cup but fingers crossed. After that we need to be just as quick to finalise Kounde. Then we can just wait til next summer and sin Rice.

3 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I thought Ziyech looked good playing more centrally though it was a friendly.

The Inter thing now looks messy, the important thing is get someone in, even if not a striker like that Seville defender Kaunde (spelling?).

If we stay as we were no-one is kept on their toes and the squad can become complacent.

I don't agree with you, yes we won the Champions league, but we should be aspiring to win the premier league this season, and I don't think the team is good enough to win the premier league. We are not on top of the world, we must be winning big every season, and that's the way it is.

We need I think a striker, a central defender and a defensive midfielder.

You see my frustrations now, how many years will it take Chelsea to make an improved bid for Lukaku now. When was the last day they made that last bid, I think that's some days ago. How many minutes will it take the board to add something to the bid and let's hear the news again.

We need to move forward. Let's finish this deal and focus on next season.

8 hours ago, evissy said:

Glen Johnson is not completely sure about buying Lukaku.. If his words have any weight...

However, former Chelsea defender Glen Johnson doesn't think a return to Stamford Bridge would be the best idea for the Belgium international due to the pace of the Premier League.

"I’m not so sure the Premier League suits Lukaku to be honest," Johnson told Betting Odds. "Obviously he’s a big, powerful lad, quite physical but I just think the Premier League’s a bit too quick for him.

"So no, I wouldn’t like to see him return.

"But in certain leagues, he is going to get goals, albeit at a slightly slower pace."

A bit too quick? 🤔🤔

So, if we get Lukaku and Tammy goes to Atalanta, or where ever really. Who slots in to be the backup striker? Broja appears to be headed on loan which is smart and him being third choice currently would slow his progress... I guess I'm just wondering who our striker options would be if Lukaka needs a week off or worse

I was really hoping we'd keep Tammy and let him be behind Lukaku but for whatever reason Tuchel doesn't seem his style fits, i guess

15 minutes ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

So, if we get Lukaku and Tammy goes to Atalanta, or where ever really. Who slots in to be the backup striker? Broja appears to be headed on loan which is smart and him being third choice currently would slow his progress... I guess I'm just wondering who our striker options would be if Lukaka needs a week off or worse

I was really hoping we'd keep Tammy and let him be behind Lukaku but for whatever reason Tuchel doesn't seem his style fits, i guess

I think either Werner or havertz. Our attacking players all seem to be pretty positionally flexible so I think Tuchel will have no problem making something work if need be. 

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

He cuts an unhappy figure when things do not go perfectly for him.

The pressure of being a record signing both for us and uk transfers will also be huge.

This is how I feel as well. The latter part. 

I actually think he is a good person. He has that hunger in him...what worries me a bit he is friends with Pogba. That energy is not good. 

1 hour ago, hephzibah said:

Zappacosta plus Emerson Palmeri plus Marcus Alonso plus cash for Lukaku, hahahahahaha..... I laugh.

Chelsea have got a lot of dead woods. Please let's add Bakayoko and whoever is a dead wood again.

We best slow down otherwise we'll need a left back!!

Actually, reading between the obvious lines, perhaps both are leaving.  Tuchel says pre-season is to try things, and Pulisic at LWB is probably no coincidence.  Addressing a bigger gap.

1 hour ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

Please who is Werner? Is he a striker or a winger? Because it's like people want to kill me with all these comments about Werner. Why did we buy Werner when we bought him? I think we had Pulisic in the team before we bought Werner. And I think Pulisic was bought to come and play left wing- the position that Hazard left. So did we buy Werner to come and play thesame left wing that Pulisic is already playing? Or Werner was brought in to be our striker?

Because when you are asking who our back up striker will be after Lukaku, definitely Werner. 

I keep asking that what position was Werner playing when he was in Leipzig to understand where he should be playing for us. He was playing on the left wing when he was at Leipzig, then when we already had Pulisic, why did we buy him? Then since we already had Pulisic, and we bought him, then we wanted him to come and be our striker.

Please he is a striker for us. Then this obsession of people with goals, I don't understand. People don't mind to ask a player like Jorginho to top strike for them if maybe he fortunately scored two goals in two consecutive matches, some people may think he should come and start top striking for us.

Before you put players in positions in football, they must be able to play that position, they must have the skills to play that position. How can we be mentioning Havertz to be our top striker? 

When we switched to the direct 433 formation under Lampard last season, and played Havertz, Mount and Kante in the midfield, that is Havertz real position, he cannot play any other position in football. You would see how he played in that formation, his job is to give passes to wingers and strikers. Yes he may score goals also in a match if he has the chance, that's normal, afterall, Lampard also scored goals, and he was a midfielder, and you won't say that because Lampard scored goals, that he should go and strike for the team.

Havertz is just like an Iniesta, or a David Silva or a Xavi, or a Cesc Fabregas, they are not strikers, they are midfielders. Havertz is an attacking midfielder, a creative midfielder, he's to play with the striker for goals to come, he's to give passes to the striker to score, and also score at times when he has the chance.

Please let's stop mentioning Havertz to be a striker. I feel the best way we would have got the best out of Havertz would have been to have two very strong defensive midfielders behind him. But in this Chelsea team now, we already have Jorginho and Kovacic, and for me they are not very strong DMs. Assuming we have a very DM to play with Kante behind Havertz, they would have allowed him to have a lot of space to give his passes to the striker. But because either Jorginho or Kovacic does not boss the midfield enough the way they should do, Havertz does not have enough chances to give the striker.

I feel we should have built this team around Havertz, if we had had someone like Declan Rice to play with Kante behind him, then maybe it would have been good for us.

9 minutes ago, PhilH930 said:

We best slow down otherwise we'll need a left back!!

Actually, reading between the obvious lines, perhaps both are leaving.  Tuchel says pre-season is to try things, and Pulisic at LWB is probably no coincidence.  Addressing a bigger gap.

No, I don't think Pulisic will play wing back. Certainly one of Emerson or Alonso will stay, I want Emerson to stay.

Edited by hephzibah

1 hour ago, edewaarb said:

I think either Werner or havertz. Our attacking players all seem to be pretty positionally flexible so I think Tuchel will have no problem making something work if need be. 

Honestly, one thing about our front three last season I really enjoyed - whether Havertz, Werner, Pulisic or Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech or any combo of them - they all seemed to be playing in a more fluid system in terms of no one was set as LW, ST or RW... Saw it all the time where Ziyech would drop deep Havertz or Werner would rotate positionally etc. So, I imagine you're right that we would roll with that. It would just be nice to have a player that can play and focus solely on being a striker. 

8 hours ago, Argo said:

https://sempreinter.com/2021/08/05/suning-accept-chelseas-obscene-lukaku-offer-as-inter-directors-failed-to-meet-financial-objectives-italian-media-report/

"Adding to this the fact that the likes of Alexis Sanchez, Ivan Perisic, and Arturo Vidal are currently set to stay on at the club, and the ownership is still displeased with the financial situation at the club even after Hakimi’s sale."

The irony of Inter's finances being f**ked up because of Conte's expensive has-beens, do people still think we should have given this guy a blank cheque?

That man made us buy

Emerson

Zapacosta

Barkley

Bakayoko

Drinkwater

I really hope we know what we are doing. I feel we are buying a second choice player for our record fee. Now some might argue he is merely a second choice for me wanting Haaland (who is unattainable) but I think the club wanted Haaland and has this compulsory idea we just need to buy an attacker no matter what. 

Not sure how they are selling this idea to Lukaku. Does he feel he is the fallback player? If so he has no chance. The soft heads we have brought over the years to lead our line in Drogba's shadow is just a running joke. Torres and Morata in particular. That characteristic might even show in Werner although jury is still out. In his case I think his ceiling is a bit lower against the high demand of this league. 

This is a major risk. I really hope it works out. 

Even the mixed comments inside our community (Chelsea fans) indicate this is not a match made in heaven. Bringing out videos where Lukaku then 18 is at the Bridge sort of a wish this is a love affair. It feels forced.