Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea

With Giroud gone, Abraham being sold and Broja leaving on loan, we're left with only Lukaku as a lone centre forward. What happens when he's injured/tired/suspended? Do we go back to Werner as a CF, the role he didn't look comfortable with ordo we sign a back-up? Or do we keep going with a false nine system? Seems odd not to have a back-up for a long season ahead.

16 minutes ago, abramovich said:

With Giroud gone, Abraham being sold and Broja leaving on loan, we're left with only Lukaku as a lone centre forward. What happens when he's injured/tired/suspended? Do we go back to Werner as a CF, the role he didn't look comfortable with ordo we sign a back-up? Or do we keep going with a false nine system? Seems odd not to have a back-up for a long season ahead.

I don't think it's a big problem with all the backups we have for Havertz and Werner other positions. I think we will struggle to find better options that is willing to just be backup for 80%+ of the time.

I worry more about a long injury on Mendy, Kante/Jorginho/Kovacic, Chilwell or James.

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

How about his Belgium understudy Batman? 

1 hour ago, ozboy said:

Soccer fans are as critical as spectators at anything. Its always a lot easier in the spectator box. I used to sit right behind the ex coach of Sydney FC and I gave him lots of good advice and the  team did really well but he never acknowledged the advice and he got all the credit. I don't mind that's the way it is as a fan, you can say what you want and no-one gives a toss.

I think there are question marks around Lukaku particularly about whether he can do as well in the Premier League at 28 as he did in Italy at 26. You can question whether he will be happy just being part of a big team rather than the biggest part of a smaller team. He will probably have to rotate at Chelsea whereas he hardly missed a game in Italy.

You can point out how average he was at ManU and ask why that was and why it will be different at Chelsea. The hopeful answer is he wasn't that fit at ManU, probably had his head turned by the money or something. What we are getting is the finished article.

You can question if he is fast enough, or whether he does enough in defence, like pressing, or whether when playing back to goal if his touch is good enough (can't be much worse than tammy's though)

You can question what it means for our system and for the other players, someone's nose will surely be out of joint.

You can ask all those questions and probably lots more. 

I'm not completely sold, but I've come to the conclusion its not a bad bet. In the end it will make Chelsea even more interesting to watch this season. Its a bloody great time to be a chelsea supporter. I way prefer our players, manager and system to the other leading contenders. If Lukaku does even moderately well and we avoid major injuries then I think we will give the Premier League a good shove. I can't think any team will want to play us.

Can he do it in pl? What the hell are you talking about? Lukaku has scored 100+ goals in pl. 

Don't listen too much of those united fans who made failed compilation of him , i mean you can do the same for ronaldo and messi to make them look bad. 

Fact is, he was their best striker for the last 4 years, with 26 goals of all competition despite having sh*te first touch and sh*te season according to them  , something no other United attackers can do till today despite them playing the best, the most entertaining football under the great Ole.

I couldn't careless if he never scored against top 6 , couldn't careless with his first touch as long as he scored against anyone else , they talk as points scoring against top 6 gives you extra points.

Mourinho tried to bring perisic/willian to serve and link with him ,but idiots at the board thought rashy and martial should never leave there. a well served lukaku is 30 goals per season striker, others 2 bums arent

Edited by Wonmin

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

I think Havertz will be the go to when Lukaku doesn't play, with Werner 3rd choice to play through the middle. 

Werner is really effective coming off the left that I'd be surprised to see him not play the majority of games from there. 

I think between those 3 we're pretty covered for the season. 

The price we will pay for Lukaku really highlights how few top-class centre forwards there are in the game these days. Lukaku isn't a top-class player IMO, but I think he's amongst the 'best of the rest', and he should definitely improve our squad. I do find the idea of spending €115 million on a CF and getting Lukaku kind of disappointing, but it's preferable to going into next season with only our current lot.

Who knows, maybe he'll be a beast and completely win the fans over, and in a few years time he'll be held in a similar regard as somebody like Drogba. Or he could be another of many expensive flops. Nobody knows, but despite my misgivings, I will be 100% behind him as a Chelsea player.

13 minutes ago, bluedave said:

The price we will pay for Lukaku really highlights how few top-class centre forwards there are in the game these days. Lukaku isn't a top-class player IMO, but I think he's amongst the 'best of the rest', and he should definitely improve our squad. I do find the idea of spending €115 million on a CF and getting Lukaku kind of disappointing, but it's preferable to going into next season with only our current lot.

Who knows, maybe he'll be a beast and completely win the fans over, and in a few years time he'll be held in a similar regard as somebody like Drogba. Or he could be another of many expensive flops. Nobody knows, but despite my misgivings, I will be 100% behind him as a Chelsea player.

tell me anyone else who has over 250 career goals and not a top class player , i feel like the disrespect toward him are too much , you can count strikers who ends up having more goals than him in their career with your fingers, if anyone ask me to bet who is going to be EPL top scorer next season , this guy is my first pick , couldn't give a f about his first touch or bla3x bollocks 

Edited by Wonmin

6 minutes ago, Wonmin said:

tell me anyone else who has over 250 career goals and not a top class player , i feel like the disrespect toward him are too much , you can count strikers who ends up having more goals in their career with your fingers

Kežman?

You must have a lot of fingers, by the way.

Edited by bluedave

54 minutes ago, Wonmin said:

I couldn't careless if he never scored against top 6 , couldn't careless with his first touch as long as he scored against anyone else , they talk as points scoring against top 6 gives you extra points.

It effectively does as you're not only getting 3 points but taking a further 3 from a competitor. 

59 minutes ago, Argo said:

It effectively does as you're not only getting 3 points but taking a further 3 from a competitor. 

a sh*te united team lead by dinosaur manager finished 2nd with 81 points  with him as main striker , 8 more points than what they got last season with their firewood cavani, greenwood, martial , rashford ,and great manager ole ,  also only scored 5 more goals ( even though they batter soton with 9 goals )  , what you have to do is to stop listening to the media or to twitter fans , and start looking at the actual facts

1 hour ago, bluedave said:

Kežman?

You must have a lot of fingers, by the way.

almost forgot that man exist, but he did perform well when necessary and were part of our dominating chelsea team

Edited by Wonmin

2 hours ago, Wonmin said:

Don't listen too much of those united fans who made failed compilation of him , i mean you can do the same for ronaldo and messi to make them look bad. 

Fact is, he was their best striker for the last 4 years, with 26 goals of all competition despite having sh*te first touch and sh*te season according to them  , something no other United attackers can do till today despite them playing the best, the most entertaining football under the great Ole.

Mourinho tried to bring perisic/willian to serve and link with him ,but idiots at the board thought rashy and martial should never leave there. a well served lukaku is 30 goals per season striker, others 2 bums arent

We don't need him to beat the top 6 sides, we do pretty well on that score anyway. Its all the rest we need to be able to beat. Those that don't attack us.

2 hours ago, bluedave said:

The price we will pay for Lukaku really highlights how few top-class centre forwards there are in the game these days. Lukaku isn't a top-class player IMO, but I think he's amongst the 'best of the rest', 

Who do you consider as top class player? 

5 hours ago, abramovich said:

Sounds mad till you look at city.

6 hours ago, abramovich said:

How about this:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2021/8/10/22617937/for-some-reason-chelsea-still-looking-at-vfb-stuttgart-striker-sasa-kalajdzic-too-report

4 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I think Havertz will be the go to when Lukaku doesn't play, with Werner 3rd choice to play through the middle. 

Werner is really effective coming off the left that I'd be surprised to see him not play the majority of games from there. 

I think between those 3 we're pretty covered for the season. 

Werners best position last season was playing inside forward , not hugging the wing, not central, but in between, either left or right, he made it really uncomfortable for big defenders as they were being pulled away from their position. Loads of examples of him doing this and creating space for players to exploit, including the winning goal in the final, and the goal against RM in the semi.

He could play the same role either side of Lukaku in a 3-4-2-1, drop Mount back in Jorginhos place with Kante for the games we dont need 2 holding.

Azpilicueta----Silva----Rudiger

Jame                    Kante                             Chilly

Mount

Havetrz             Werner

Lukaku

1 hour ago, coco said:

Werners best position last season was playing inside forward , not hugging the wing, not central, but in between, either left or right, he made it really uncomfortable for big defenders as they were being pulled away from their position. Loads of examples of him doing this and creating space for players to exploit, including the winning goal in the final, and the goal against RM in the semi.

He could play the same role either side of Lukaku in a 3-4-2-1, drop Mount back in Jorginhos place with Kante for the games we dont need 2 holding.

Mount

Lukaku

This always sounds lovely but Kanté Mount has simply never been able to compare to Kanté Jorginho, regardless of the opponent. I'd rather we just drop Azpi and play 4-2-3-1 in such a game

2 hours ago, coco said:

Mount

Lukaku

Think it is a waste to restrict Kante to being a sitting only midfielder. 

As much as we love Mount it is not worth sacrificing Kantes game to get Mount in the side.

2 hours ago, coco said:

Mount

Lukaku

We have tried playing Mount as double pivot multiple times under Tuchel and it never works. 

If you want to play timo

It will be

Werner - Lukaku 

Mount/Havertz 

2 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Think it is a waste to restrict Kante to being a sitting only midfielder. 

As much as we love Mount it is not worth sacrificing Kantes game to get Mount in the side.

Yup, you really don't want to go back to Lamp problem of fitting too many attackers on the field. If you want to play Werner+Lukaku drop Mount or Havertz 

• Mod Stark changed the title to Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea