Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea

That was a performance of everything I feared when we signed him. It’s a one off and he was unplayable against Arsenal but these are the games he was criticised for not turning up in, in the past. He’ll need to be much better than that for us in big games going forward. I don’t think any of our attackers played well.

One point from this game I'd take about him is his dribbling was pretty awful, but his movement was good, he could get few good balls. 

Mount, Kante and Havertz could put him a good ball but took the wrong decision. 

I'd take that performance, especially when we were playing 10. 

Bought back down to earth after that game. It's amazing that any time he comes up against the very top defenders he looks nothing like the bully we know he can be, the top defenders just aren't afraid of him.

He was tripping over the ball, his decision making was poor (should have played Havertz in for a 1v1 chance) he lost the physical battle multiple times, he wasn't tracking back to help the team. He had one or two decent moments with his hold up play, but overall, it was same issues with Lukaku in these types of games. 

The one team that had a pair of CBs that towered over him. 

He's not as good in the air, bad at properly harassing the CBs and has a habit of pointing but he tried. I can give him credit for effort in keeping the scoreline locked at 1-1

Hope the best is yet to come from him!

18 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

That was a performance of everything I feared when we signed him. It’s a one off and he was unplayable against Arsenal but these are the games he was criticised for not turning up in, in the past. He’ll need to be much better than that for us in big games going forward. I don’t think any of our attackers played well.

You got to be joking. 

Lukaku was playing as lone st against 3 player by himself. You can't expect Lukaku to be messi and just beat 3 player one on one. 

Edited by Bob stark

2 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

You got to be joking. 

Lukaku was playing as lone st against 3 player by himself. You can't expect Lukaku to be messi and just beat 3 player one on one. 

In the first half? I expect him to have a first touch, make good decisions OR maybe win a physical duel against someone for £95m. You can’t seriously be saying you thought he played well in that first half? Jesus Christ. 

Don’t really see how anyone can fault Lukaku for this game. Had he been played in properly he scores twice at least. Yes he stumbled when dribbling once or twice but so does everyone. Better decision making from our other players and he could have been the hero today. He was constantly making the runs and you could see he was annoyed at the ball not being played for him. Good point in the end and he will be back to terror Villa on the 11th!

5 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

In the first half? I expect him to have a first touch, make good decisions OR maybe win a physical duel against someone for £95m. You can’t seriously be saying you thought he played well in that first half? Jesus Christ. 

He played against matip n vvd, predominantly vvd not some scrub cb. VVD is the best cb in the world by some margin. If he can win all his duel against him, Lukaku is definitely the best player on the planet. 

5 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

He played against matip n vvd, predominantly vvd not some scrub cb. VVD is the best cb in the world by some margin. If he can win all his duel against him, Lukaku is definitely the best player on the planet. 

Who said all? I’d take one. He was dominated and pocketed by both of them. He’s a f**king £95m striker. He should he capable of competing with players of that level. Bury your head in the sand if you like but that was a poor performance. 

Edited by EdinburghBlue

4 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Who said all? I’d take one. He was dominated and pocketed by both of them. He’s a f**king £95m striker. He should he capable of competing with players of that level. Bury your head in the sand if you like but that was a poor performance. 

Considering the circumstances, he should get a pass. We had no right to get a point after that red. Fantastic display. Buzzing!

He wasn't terrible in the first half, made a couple bad passing decisions but was playing his role fine. If the game continued normally he would've got something right eventually.

2nd half on his own though... he was never going to do anything amazing but did get a shot away, better chance than they had all half.

Edited by sonic90

Just now, Sindre said:

Like when he turned Matip and put Mount through on goal with Allison to beat in the first half?

Or when he held off Van Dijk and sent Kovacic through for a goalscoring chance in the second half?

You sound like you have an agenda here.

Nope. Lukaku need to completely dominate VVD. 

It is VVD for god sake, he is by far the best cb in the world with some margin. 

Just now, Sindre said:

Like when he turned Matip and put Mount through on goal with Allison to beat in the first half?

Or when he held off Van Dijk and sent Kovacic through for a goalscoring chance in the second half?

You mean when he should have put Havertz clean through on goal through the middle and instead took the wrong decision and went to Mount wide? 

You can think what you like, I praised him for his performance against Arsenal, but today I thought he was poor even at 11v11. 

Just now, EdinburghBlue said:

You mean when he should have put Havertz clean through on goal through the middle and instead took the wrong decision and went to Mount wide? 

You can think what you like, I praised him for his performance against Arsenal, but today I thought he was poor even at 11v11. 

Or when Kante should passed to Lukaku that was clear though on goal instead to Havertz. 

Or when Mount should have passed nstead of taking shot. 

Mount was awful. Kante was also very2 bad. 

3 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Lukaku did great in both those situations, the only big mistake he did was not passing Havertz through on goal. Mount did that same mistake with his big chance, so Havertz could have had a hatrick. 

2 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Could have gone for Havertz too but Van Dijk would have had a chance of intercepting that. It was a massive chance for Mount in the end.

Anyways, you wanted one example and I gave you two where he beat Matip & Van Dijk. And there were obviously more examples as well.

Just now, Bob stark said:

Or when Kante should passed to Lukaku that was clear though on goal instead to Havertz. 

Or when Mount should have passed nstead of taking shot. 

Mount was awful. Kante was also very2 bad. 

Is this the Mount or Kante thread or are you deflecting? 

To answer though, Havertz also could have easily made that pass to Lukaku after getting the ball from Kante from shooting as well.

But I’ve already stated I thought the attacking decision making was poor in my original point, so you’re just agreeing with what I said in that regard.
Re; Kante being poor, at that pass, yes I agree but if you mean in the first half in general, I suggest you rewatch it and look at who was breaking up play in the middle of the park - more relevant for his thread though.

2 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Could have gone for Havertz too but Van Dijk would have had a chance of intercepting that. It was a massive chance for Mount in the end.

Anyways, you wanted one example and I gave you two where he beat Matip & Van Dijk. And there were obviously more examples as well.

Like I said - if you’re happy with that performance in a big game from a world class centre forward - more power to you, I’m not. I expect much better from a player of his standing and for the money we paid.

He was heavily criticised the last time he was in England for not turning up in big games, this was a chance to put a marker down that proves things have changed. I’m yet to be convinced they have, like I said - mitigating circumstances given the sending off & early in his return but two moments, one of which he then made the wrong decision doesn’t convince me.

I hope I’m wrong and he scores a hat-trick against City next month, we shall see.

15 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Is this the Mount or Kante thread or are you deflecting? 

To answer though, Havertz also could have easily made that pass to Lukaku after getting the ball from Kante from shooting as well.

But I’ve already stated I thought the attacking decision making was poor in my original point, so you’re just agreeing with what I said in that regard.
Re; Kante being poor, at that pass, yes I agree but if you mean in the first half in general, I suggest you rewatch it and look at who was breaking up play in the middle of the park - more relevant for his thread though.

You gave example of Lukaku making bad decision, I gave you example of mount and Kante bad decisions. Do I think any of them played poorly ? Not at all

Edited by Bob stark

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

Bought back down to earth after that game. It's amazing that any time he comes up against the very top defenders he looks nothing like the bully we know he can be, the top defenders just aren't afraid of him.

He was tripping over the ball, his decision making was poor (should have played Havertz in for a 1v1 chance) he lost the physical battle multiple times, he wasn't tracking back to help the team. He had one or two decent moments with his hold up play, but overall, it was same issues with Lukaku in these types of games. 

He should have also been played in twice. One from Kante and other from Havertz I think it was. First half he caused problems and looked dangerous. I don't think most other CF would have fared much better today, especially in the circumstances.

16 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Like I said - if you’re happy with that performance in a big game from a world class centre forward - more power to you, I’m not. I expect much better from a player of his standing and for the money we paid.

He was heavily criticised the last time he was in England for not turning up in big games, this was a chance to put a marker down that proves things have changed. I’m yet to be convinced they have, like I said - mitigating circumstances given the sending off & early in his return but two moments, one of which he then made the wrong decision doesn’t convince me.

I hope I’m wrong and he scores a hat-trick against City next month, we shall see.

I really don't care about Lukaku proving his doubters wrong. All I care is for him to help us win. 

Lukaku is signed because we need a true no 9 who can occupy cb rather than running away from them, give us box presence and still provide us with speed of running behind. Plus we need him to link up with our two am. What Lukaku did today feeding Mount and Kova is exactly what we need 

Edited by Bob stark