Jump to content

Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea


Recommended Posts

On 02/10/2021 at 20:34, Argo said:

Why can't it be both? Naunce can exist.

 

Both is the correct answer. Kante is the best presser and tackler in the team, but it means nothing if he is the only one doing it. We saw this under both Sarri and Lampard. Arguably the biggest tactical change Tuchel brought was actual organisation to the press, something that both Sarri and Lampard unfortunately failed at.

Kante was repeatedly criticised for ball-chasing and being out of position. With no structure to the press, however, it was doomed to fail regardless of what he did. A Kante who isn't winning the ball upfield is a neutered Kante. 

Getting that effective press back has to be Tuchel's priority. We're playing way too deep a defensive line which gives the opposition too much space on the counter-attack. Our xG against has suffered this year despite our amazing defensive record - more a testament to the quality/confidence of our individuals in defence rather than the team's organisation as before.

In attack, Lukaku is receiving the ball too deep to be effective and there are few runners close to him to receive his layoffs when he does hold the ball up. Werner is receiving the ball and running at defenders instead of attacking the space behind. The net result is that few players are able to break the opponent's lines/shape and it's all too easy to defend. In saying that if Ziyech was in top form and hitting those deep crosses he is capable of we'd be laughing but it seems silly for a team to hang their fortunes on an inconsistent player.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I don’t know why roberto Martinez irritates me so much really think he is a class A clown.. I know it’s not his fault but luakaku injury is bad for us .. 

ruined their golden generation.. didn’t win a single match of consequence a complete fraud 

Edited by Jangz
Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I just googled Lukaku's name and it says muscle fatigue.

Ah probably that groin injury he has been carrying and managing for a while. Probably will need to stop for a bit to let it heal at some point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/chelsea-cristiano-ronaldo-issue-tuchel-21824477

Lukaku is the 3rd lowest presser in the league in front of only Ronaldo and Maximin. I'm sure we could see that since he's played our press hasn't been nearly as effective and this isn't a dig at him or the way Tuchel is using him or intending to use him.

However, perhaps he does need to work a bit harder off the ball to involve himself in the play. After all pressing high is often where dangerous turnovers are made and goal scoring opportunities arise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/chelsea-cristiano-ronaldo-issue-tuchel-21824477

Lukaku is the 3rd lowest presser in the league in front of only Ronaldo and Maximin. I'm sure we could see that since he's played our press hasn't been nearly as effective and this isn't a dig at him or the way Tuchel is using him or intending to use him.

However, perhaps he does need to work a bit harder off the ball to involve himself in the play. After all pressing high is often where dangerous turnovers are made and goal scoring opportunities arise.

This is pretty shocking tbf. And im certain Tuchel hasent instructed him to just finish off chances and do nothing else. His overall play isnt good at all, he still looks like hes playing with two left feet and cant run with the ball without it bouncing off him everytime. What he is the best at is finishing when through on goal and turning defenders with his physical presence. However, what really worries me is this doesnt work against the biggest teams, and if hes not pressing at all, this will actually hinder us majorly, especially in the big tournaments like the Champions League.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/chelsea-cristiano-ronaldo-issue-tuchel-21824477

Lukaku is the 3rd lowest presser in the league in front of only Ronaldo and Maximin. I'm sure we could see that since he's played our press hasn't been nearly as effective and this isn't a dig at him or the way Tuchel is using him or intending to use him.

However, perhaps he does need to work a bit harder off the ball to involve himself in the play. After all pressing high is often where dangerous turnovers are made and goal scoring opportunities arise.

Taken from the article:

"The strongest metric we have to analyse the level of pressing for a team comes from PPDA (Passes per defensive action) a metric to quantify high press intensity, introduced by analyst Colin Trainor in 2014. PPDA only takes into account pressing in the final 60% of the pitch."

Some of the newer football stats are so conceptual. It's stats based on a premise rather than a tangible action (goals, assists, tackles, dribbles etc). 

Not everything in football can be evaluated by sticking a number against it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Oli said:

His overall play isnt good at all, he still looks like hes playing with two left feet 

Got to disagree with that assessment. 

He's shown a lot of ability when recieving the ball with his back to goal, holding up play and bring others into attacking moves. 

He's never going to be a player to pick the ball up 40 yards from goal, go around 4 players and slot it into the back of the net. But then again neither were Drogba, Costa or JFH. They were players who came alive in and around the 18 yard area and Lukaku is no different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Got to disagree with that assessment. 

He's shown a lot of ability when recieving the ball with his back to goal, holding up play and bring others into attacking moves. 

He's never going to be a player to pick the ball up 40 yards from goal, go around 4 players and slot it into the back of the net. But then again neither were Drogba, Costa or JFH. They were players who came alive in and around the 18 yard area and Lukaku is no different. 

He cant run more than 5 yards with the ball without falling over it, forget about beating 4 players. I want him to do well, we all really do, but hes yet to strike me as a big game player yet. That was always one of his criticisms. Theres no denying hes a great one touch finisher, and I agree his hold up play is good when backing into a defender, but hes not someone who has any technical ability, and against the better teams, they know hoe to limit him shooting on goal. Lets see, the season is long, I hope he can be more influential especially in those crunch games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Got to disagree with that assessment. 

He's shown a lot of ability when recieving the ball with his back to goal, holding up play and bring others into attacking moves. 

He's never going to be a player to pick the ball up 40 yards from goal, go around 4 players and slot it into the back of the net. But then again neither were Drogba, Costa or JFH. They were players who came alive in and around the 18 yard area and Lukaku is no different. 

Drogba could have influential MOTM performances even when not scoring (ala that 4-1 at Anfield), Costa had elite movement which meant even when he wasn't playing well he could still draw defenders and provide a catalyst for Hazard or Pedro to create havoc.

Hasselbaink is actually a good comparison because him arriving (at the exact same age) and being our main man coincided with a dip in the overall team performances for a couple of years. Not to mention Mourinho instantly decided he wasn't for him but Gudjohnsen was despite him having a much better goal record than the Icelandic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Argo said:

Drogba could have influential MOTM performances even when not scoring (ala that 4-1 at Anfield), Costa had elite movement which meant even when he wasn't playing well he could still draw defenders and provide a catalyst for Hazard or Pedro to create havoc.

Hasselbaink is actually a good comparison because him arriving (at the exact same age) and being our main man coincided with a dip in the overall team performances for a couple of years. Not to mention Mourinho instantly decided he wasn't for him but Gudjohnsen was despite him having a much better goal record than the Icelandic.

If he is a Hasselbaink then we won't win anything till he leaves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 12/10/2021 at 14:42, ForeverCarefree said:

Got to disagree with that assessment. 

He's shown a lot of ability when recieving the ball with his back to goal, holding up play and bring others into attacking moves. 

He's never going to be a player to pick the ball up 40 yards from goal, go around 4 players and slot it into the back of the net. But then again neither were Drogba, Costa or JFH. They were players who came alive in and around the 18 yard area and Lukaku is no different. 

I think he has struggled a lot with his back to goal, some good touches, but i was expecting a lot more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At 6ft 3 people expect a target man but, that's just not him. He can do it, he can play with his back to the goal but, he will always look best how he played vs Arsenal and the other game where he has space to run in behind (Palace I think). Why do we continually buy players that suit a certain playstyle and then tell them to do the opposite ahaha.

Jokes aside Lukaku is now the complete striker and for us to get the best out of him, we need to not only use him as a target man. Yet, bouncing the ball of him in the box is the best way our other fwds are going to get chances at scoring goals. I think he likes to lay the ball of in a crowded box for another player to hit first time or take a touch and bury it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Painful to watch when things aren't going well for him. I'm not having the "we aren't playing to his strengths" excuse. I have seen that excuse so many times over the years for strikers that struggle for us. I didn't think we played to Werner's strengths last season, but he was still offering something even if he was sh*t in front of goal. Lukaku doesn't offer anything if he isn't scoring. It shouldn't be much to ask a supposed world class player to do something more than what he is currently offering.

I am still yet to see this changed player that people like to go on about.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Painful to watch when things aren't going well for him. I'm not having the "we aren't playing to his strengths" excuse. I have seen that excuse so many times over the years for strikers that struggle for us. I didn't think we played to Werner's strengths last season, but he was still offering something even if he was sh*t in front of goal. Lukaku doesn't offer anything if he isn't scoring. It shouldn't be much to ask a supposed world class player to do something more than what he is currently offering.

I am still yet to see this changed player that people like to go on about.

 

He's playing infront of players that created chances at will last season.

For that reason alone i won't have the service excuse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!