Away goals to be scrapped in European competitions?

• 4 weeks later...

Confirmed: https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/026a-1298aeb73a7a-5b64cb68d920-1000--abolition-of-the-away-goals-rule-in-all-uefa-club-competitions/

Initial thought is - considering what's happened this season (and will surely happen again the season after next considering the corrupt ill-advised decision to host the World Cup in Qatar), is it really a good idea to impose rules which will extend the length of knockout games?

I agree with Plokoon that it isn't a good decision. We don't need more game time. Players play too much as it is. Also on another note, I quite enjoyed the tactical element the away goal rule added.

If its not broke don't fix it!  Although it went against us, is there anything more dramatic than Iniesta's equaliser? Removing the jeopardy from games takes the tactical element out of second leg  and will probably bring more stalemates in the first leg.

Personally I'm not too disappointed. I agree the away rule added extra drama but, in modern football away and home advantage just isn't what it used to be. 

Imo there should have been a revision that effected extra time. It's fine to play 90 mins of away goals but, as soon as we go to the extra half an hour every goal should count as equal regardless of which team scored.

Otherwise the team that played away in the second leg always had an advantage. Fair play though if they decided to just go ahead and scrap the whole thing. As a big fan of penalty shootouts (I just love the drama...mainly when it's not us) this just means the possibility for them more often.

8 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Imo there should have been a revision that effected extra time. It's fine to play 90 mins of away goals but, as soon as we go to the extra half an hour every goal should count as equal regardless of which team scored

Totally agree with this.

not a fan of this move.. one of the rationales being given is that it will make the game more attractive and attacking.. but honestly defending is also a part of football and i for one enjoy a crunching tackle as much as a solo dribble or a long ranger... 

as always stupid people disconnected with reality making decisions for everyone.. If football is a product and Fifa officals product managers they would have been sacked 3 times over now for not taking into account any consumer feedback.