New CB?

Gol15

Despite the fact that we're once again defensively strong I'm still convinced that we simply must sign a new quality CB, specially now that we're Champions Of Europe again.

T.Silva is most likely going to sign the extension so he'll still be here for next season but he's simply not supposed to play most games. In order to be able to play with a back 4 in the future we need a more stable CB for that formation. Rudi and Christen are great in a back 3 but their quality falls down in a back 4 and Zouma can be a bit insecure with the ball.

I agree with Reece James that our squad will only get better as several of our key players are still young but Tuchel does need new signings for the new season.

I'm thinking that PSG simply won't let Marquinhos to go in a similar fashion like they stopped Verratti from joining Barcelona... Liverpool will sign Konaté, Bayern is getting Upamecano...

Here are some potential names (last year I had a list of some players we could sign and Pep bought Dias, Lampard bought Chilwell for example)...

Let's take the advantage of being the best club in Europe and secure a nice CB for the future!

Jules Koundé - 22 y/o from France, playing for Sevilla. Defensively really strong and would fit in the PL instantly. (Don't worry about the titles of videos that start with "welcome to Le'Arse" and so on).

Edmond Tapsoba - 22 y/o from Burkina Faso, playing in Leverkusen.

Any other potential quality defenders out there?

Hopefully not Süle!

Not that keen on Varane as well. Boateng could work since he's not going to need to play each and every game but adds one hell of a passing game and could probably work well in a back 4 alongside Rüdiger or Christensen (Thiago not so much imho). Would be only a short-termish solution for 2-3 years at max. Tuchel wanted him at PSG two years ago - and that was when Boateng was seemingly past it but he well recovered from that.

1 hour ago, weetee said:

Hopefully not Süle!

Not that keen on Varane as well. Boateng could work since he's not going to need to play each and every game but adds one hell of a passing game and could probably work well in a back 4 alongside Rüdiger or Christensen (Thiago not so much imho). Would be only a short-termish solution for 2-3 years at max. Tuchel wanted him at PSG two years ago - and that was when Boateng was seemingly past it but he well recovered from that.

Boateng? God no! He is good on the ball but defensively he is suspect. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Boateng? God no! He is good on the ball but defensively he is suspect. 

Nah, disagree. He's been quite good defensively - best defender overall from Bayern this and last season. He will look a different beast within a system like Tuchel since Flick played his all-out attack last season where everybody could look bad as a last defender when opponents counter-attack (like Diaz or Stones looked pants lately as well..) and then Bayern lost all compactness and form this season leading to an uncanny amount of goals against - Kimmich and Goretzka are great going forward but underwhelming at actually defending - as could be said for Alaba as well since he ain't no real CB or at least not the best overall fit to Boateng. I'd say Boateng could be brilliant in a 343 and structured team like Chelsea. But he's kinda injury prone and who knows if he can keep his level for about three years - so far from a no-brainer.

Anyway, not saying he's the best fit because that would be Marquinhos or someone like him who could play in a 433 / 343 and CB or CDM just the same without any drop in quality. But Boateng is available and was connected to Tuchel before (like Rüdiger or Kanté before) so I guess he has an idea about how to play to his strengths.

Edited by weetee

I like Kounde and Tapsoba, but both really young. 

We have been linked to Varane who I like and Sule, who im not too keen on. 

Not too worried about the centre back situation, we have been solid at the back for most of the season, even under Lampard we were okay in a 4. 

I think its clear Tuchel is a better coach than Lampard, so what is to say he cant get a back 4 defending as well as this back 5, especially in games we are expected to win, and also if we bring in another defensive midfielder. We can always switch to the 5 in the big games, as its been very successful this season in those games.

Marquinhos is obviously the one centre back i would want 100% but PSG dont sell players, only way a top playerleaves that club, is at the end of their contract. 

Sounds like Thiago has resigned. Pretty much means we won't be looking for a new CB, especially not Boateng (who'd I'd agree is a good player but is largely a direct Silva substitute). 

I think if anyone is leaving it will likely be Zouma. That saddens me as I think he is the best out and out CB we have but the three doesn't suit him as well, same as the two doesn't suit Christensen. 

My preference continues to be a proper left footed CB. It may be that Sarr comes back in as an option on the left.

22 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

That Tomori bloke at AC Milan has been doing well...

I saw somewhere that AC Milan wants to pay the full price for him that's on the contract, around 25m. If they do that there's nothing we can do about it. Hopefully Tomori wants to come back that's the one thing...

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

My preference continues to be a proper left footed CB. It may be that Sarr comes back in as an option on the left.

I think Ampadu is most likely to be in the squad next season if Zouma leaves. His versatility means he could be a good option as he can play in a back 3, in midfield and at a push at fullback. 

He might replace someone like Emerson who I would imagine will leave this summer. 

If we bring in a bigger name CB, I hope it’s Varane. If we bring in a bit younger option that has the potential to be a top player in a couple years time, either Kounde or Lacroix could be good.

If Thiago has resigned, combined with the reborn top player of Rüdiger, I think we are ok at CB. Bring 2 of the following in to compete for a spot: Sarr, Guehi, or Tomori (think Milan buy him though). Probably sell Zouma (I’ll sadly miss Happy!). The counter argument to this thought is this: are we better off bringing in a top CB or a high potential CB so that we can better manage Thiago’s minutes and avoid those muscular injuries? Is a back 3 of Rüdiger-Christensen-Azpi good enough? I think it can be.

And here’s a final thought: what do we think about Tuchel’s experimentation with Reece at RCB? Azpi can’t play forever. If we stick with the 3 CB 2 WB formation, maybe Tuchel likes James at RCB long term and in that case, we bring in a new RWB rather than a CB.

In my opinion, Reece is going to be a top, top RB/RWB and really there’s a strong case he already is. So I wouldn’t mess about there. 

One thing that worries me about Varane is his ambition after he's won basically everything there is to win. I don't follow La Liga so this is based on a few CL games I've watched, but haven't been overly impressed with him the past few years after the World Cup. 

He made some huge blunders against City last season, and somehow his body language against us (and Inter on group stages) was just meek, Militão showed much more spirit against us.  

He's a good player, I just wonder about his desire, although a change of scenery may do him some good. 

I'd like us to either give Guehi/Ampadu a chance, and besides the names already mentioned there's also Pau Torres whom Utd are interested. I'd say we could take a look at Bastoni, but he just signed a new deal with Inter. 

One thing for sure is we shouldn't compromise here.  In a back 3, any of the younger names can also be given a chance (Sarr, Guehi).  That said, we need the experience.  Look at the difference Silva made, and when you look at VVD or Dias at Liverpool or City, it is a different prospect.  I'm just not sure that player is out there.

Posted (edited)

Sven Botman for me. Plays for Lille who just won the French league with only 23 goals conceded. Could slot in the middle of the back 3, cover for Rudi at LCB, or slot in at LCB if we need to play with a back 4.

Not seen any rumours we're linked with him but Real Madrid, Inter, Man U, Liverpool all rumoured to be interested.

Edited by the special one

Feels pretty daft that we might spend 60m on a centre back after selling Tomori.

Of course, Sule, Varane, etc are on a completely different level to Tomori but wouldn’t we be better off phrasing Tomori into first team while Silva gets older?

11 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Feels pretty daft that we might spend 60m on a centre back after selling Tomori.

Of course, Sule, Varane, etc are on a completely different level to Tomori but wouldn’t we be better off phrasing Tomori into first team while Silva gets older?

At this point it already reached that Tibo situation in which our player is as good as gone and his replacement will effectively cost X-25m. We just gotta hope it will work better than Kepa. 

It wasn't a mistake loaning Tomori out, but that low redemption fee was. Plus he feels valued at Milan as a key player already, even displacing the captain Romagnoli. 

Posted (edited)

I don't think we need a new CB next year, just buy a proper DM like Franck Kessie and put him infront of Christensen/Silva and Rudiger in a back 4. That solves two problem areas, because we can rest a CB while playing a back 4. We can also rest players like Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic (injury prone).

Milan wanting Tomori is great. F.Kessie has 1 year left on his deal and Theo Hernandez, who is lightning fast, would be a far better option then Alonso and Emerson.

Edited by comtrend

Whoever Tommy thinks would suit our style of football best I'm happy with, providing he gets his first or second choice. 100% we need to go for the best cb on the market this summer. Ideally at an age where he can play at least 3-4 seasons of top level football. 

My pick would have been Varane purely for age, experience and availability.

• 4 weeks later...

2 hours ago, ozboy said:

I did think that myself but Puyol wasn’t that tall.  

4 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

178cms. Too short for the Premier League. Next. 

Could be well suited to the azpi rcb position. And keep James at rwb rather than signing hakimi or whoever second choice is (Adama traore)

8 hours ago, ozboy said:

I did think that myself but Puyol wasn’t that tall.  

Puyol also played in Spain where that isn't really an issue. 

For mine if you're not at least 6ft1/185cms with great ability in the air then you're potentially a risk, particularly if we go back to a back 4 at some point. We're buying a player for at least 5 years we need to consider that possibility.

A few years ago and unlike the Premier League the ball was more often played on the ground than in the air.

Puyol played with a taller CB whose name escapes me yet think both together would have struggled with a corner played to Andy Carroll.

5 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

A few years ago and unlike the Premier League the ball was more often played on the ground than in the air.

Puyol played with a taller CB whose name escapes me yet think both together would have struggled with a corner played to Andy Carroll.

Puyol was a right back to start with. I think the night we beat them in the CL Oleguer played with him. He was tallish. Not good enough in the air to stop JT powering home that corner for the win though!