Saul Niguez

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

On 13/09/2021 at 18:53, ForeverCarefree said:

So why is it better to risk hoping Saul regains form that he's not shown for two years, playing in a league and a country that's completely new to him as apposed to showing faith in a midfielder who has put in a few MOTM performances for club and country in his limited senior career already. 

Why take a chance on Saul but not Gilmour? 

I hope Saul is a success at Chelsea, better for us that he is. I'm just struggling to wrap my head around this one at the moment. 

I personally prefer Gilmour to go on loan and get better rather than being part player for us. Any young player should not sit on the bench for season after season. 

I like Billy. He is already better forward passer than Jorgi. What he need is to get stronger physically and get a bit more Jorgi in him (play more conservative pass) 

Gilmour needs to be better off the ball, and to bulk up a bit, but he for sure fits into the team better than Saul did. He will be the better for a season with Norwich, but we may miss him. 

not sure when we’ll see Saul again but I sure hope he does better than last time. He may have wanted to leave, but that’s because he couldn’t get into the athletico midfield. Or at least that’s how it looks to me from a distance. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I was pretty underwhelmed by Saul again last night. 

Was an improvement from his first appeaance (not difficult). Still early days but still not seeing much to get enthusiastic about. 

Him signing for us in itself made me suspicious. If he was his best self why would he have come here knowing he'd have a fight on to even be the first substitute?

3 hours ago, Argo said:

Him signing for us in itself made me suspicious. If he was his best self why would he have come here knowing he'd have a fight on to even be the first substitute?

If Simeone felt he was up to the job to play in his midfield there is no way he would let him leave. 

But he was reduced to playing a bit part as a utility player for the last couple of seasons. 

He's gone from having a €100m buyout clause to being made available on loan with a sale value of €30m. 

Effectively we've (albiet low risk) gambled on hoping he might redescover form he hasn't shown for two years.  

18 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

If Simeone felt he was up to the job to play in his midfield there is no way he would let him leave. 

But he was reduced to playing a bit part as a utility player for the last couple of seasons. 

He's gone from having a €100m buyout clause to being made available on loan with a sale value of €30m. 

Effectively we've (albiet low risk) gambled on hoping he might redescover form he hasn't shown for two years.  

Yep was very wishful thinking that we would get the best Saul.

That said we with the three midfielders we have it isn't exactly an urgent requirement, just need him to get to a level where he can competently fill in when needed.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Yep was very wishful thinking that we would get the best Saul.

That said we with the three midfielders we have it isn't exactly an urgent requirement, just need him to get to a level where he can competently fill in when needed.

Depends. If he offers less than Ross or Ruben do in those positions then it was a waste of money bringing him here.

Shame he is a lovely guy it seems however I would trust RLC more in the Jorgi role and Barkley in the Kova role than Saul.

he had the balls to come to the most demanding league knowing he'll have to work hard to break into the team. he's best friend is Kepa so he knew how fuclking hard it'll be. looking at the progress and influence Tomas has had on Kepa self confidence hope he can help Saul back to his best. props to Marina for the loan with no obligation to buy.

59 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Depends. If he offers less than Ross or Ruben do in those positions then it was a waste of money bringing him here.

Shame he is a lovely guy it seems however I would trust RLC more in the Jorgi role and Barkley in the Kova role than Saul.

I very highly doubt either would be options for the 6 in any game of note.

Played better yesterday but still has a lot to do if he wants to break into the first eleven. I read his interview after his first premier league game and glad to see that he is determined to improve. His attitude is really what we need at the club unlike others who have come here from other leagues in the past and sulked when they dont play well or don't get game time. 

16 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Now finds himself behind Ross Barley. 

Remind me again why we didn't just keep hold of Billy Gilmour? 

Billy needed games, so a loan was a good option. 

Barkley and RLC should have offered enough as #4 and #5 midfielders for us not to need Saul though.

The fact that both have been used recently ahead of Saul, says to me that Saul is done here. Send him back to Madrid ASAP.

2 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Barkley and RLC should have offered enough as #4 and #5 midfielders for us not to need Saul though.

The fact that both have been used recently ahead of Saul, says to me that Saul is done here. Send him back to Madrid ASAP.

Behind Ross, Ruben and Trev in midfield.

3 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Agreed. He is clearly not impressing Tuchel. He had a couple of opportunities and looked very much off the pace. I think it will be hard for him to find his way back after such a poor showing, especially as a loanee.

13 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Agreed. He is clearly not impressing Tuchel. He had a couple of opportunities and looked very much off the pace. I think it will be hard for him to find his way back after such a poor showing, especially as a loanee.

Sadly I agree. Was against him coming in as if Simeone does not rate him after him being a key player was enough to tell me he would not work out.

Still hoping to be proven wrong but that seems more like false hope with every game that goes by. Looking like another Falcao or Pato.

I was for him coming in as we also got Kova on loan from Real Madrid (why would they let him go?) and he's turned out ok (though not impressed in his first season). It was a good option but hasn't so far done well enough to be in front of RLC imo. However, it is weird that last night Tuchel chose to bring on Barkley, who was not even on his plans, and that speaks a lot in itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably a good thing it was only a loan.

With RLC looking rejuvenated he probably won't be getting that many chances either.

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

Probably a good thing it was only a loan.

With RLC looking rejuvenated he probably won't be getting that many chances either.

Don't think we have the option to do so, but for him it would be better if he went back in Jan and found a club he would play at.

I wouldn’t be so quick to write him off. Not many thought RLC/Barkley would be featuring this season, but they’ve been doing quite well in their limited appearances. He’s only been here about 6 weeks and there’s a long way to go yet in the season with injuries/suspensions/loss of form. 

Edited by Dubair

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2021 at 15:28, Dubair said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to write him off. Not many thought RLC/Barkley would be featuring this season, but they’ve been doing quite well in their limited appearances. He’s only been here about 6 weeks and there’s a long way to go yet in the season with injuries/suspensions/loss of form. 

Given the depth of our midfield options, I certainly wasn't expecting to see #68 Harvey Vale on the bench last night LOL. There's hope for everybody in the TT regime :-) 

• 4 weeks later...

His birthday today.

At 27 he should be coming into his peak. 

Instead he finds himself behind Ross Barkley in the pecking order. 

Don't think we'll be taking up the option to buy somehow. Think it's a lot more likely that Gilmour and/or Gallagher take a place in the squad next year. 

Just hasn't take up his limited chances yet. I have no idea what he's like in training, but we have seen the likes of Barkley, RLC all getting game time out of no where and played nice cameos, but Saul just hasn't. He will get the odd cup games, but can't see him getting into first team