Saul Niguez

8 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Many would know I have been saying we should buy him for a long time. For me a loan is a bit of a no brainer, noting that we would likely end up playing a 50+m fee to buy him next season. 

Naturally there have been question marks about why Atleti want to sell him and also why he wants to leave. I'd simply say that he didn't have a great season last year and he is probably their most saleable asset. He can do things that are very valuable to other teams but not as valuable to Simeone who asks for a more defined role from his players. How he is being offered on loan is beyond me, but it makes me think he also wants out.

For mine he brings some key things even if he is out of form:

1. A winner's attitude and energy: A bit like Dave in this sense. His bad games will be 7 out of 10s because he does all the little things regardless. He's not a slink into his shell type. You'll also find that he would match the high energy style needed from Tuchel. In games like the weekend for example where we struggled without Kante he'd be perfect. There will be no Kovacic type of issues about tracking back either. He'll be hurtling back to cover counters.

2. Left foot: We've lacked a midfielder who opens up options with a left foot for a long time. We have several up field but this can be massive in terms of changing angles in the build up and playing out of trouble.

3. Versatility: I think he is almost the perfect Tuchel player. Has the skills to play virtually any role apart from striker and possibly right wing back. Gives you options everywhere.

Those are the basics we'd be getting based on last year, you get more based on every other year of his career. I also think he has more in his kitbag that hasn't been required or used in Simeone's style. The reason he has a 150m buyout is because Barca were willing to throw the kitchen sink at Atleti a couple of years ago thinking he was the perfect fit for their style. He has that Spanish midfielder DNA as well, which he often showed playing for the national team, but wasn't required at Atleti.

A loan for a player with elite mentality and workrate who has played in and won big matches is exactly what you're looking to do to strengthen for a title run. I suspect he would be a bit like Dave at the start here. He'll be in the team somewhere, even if it isn't in a CM spot, simply because his quality and workrate demands it. Speaks English also.

Finally for those advocating for Camavinga or Tchouaméni as an alternative I'd simply say that these players have potential but they would need to fulfil that and more to get to Saul's level. Don't mistake looking good as a young player in a poor league for being the finished product. 

Atleti and Simeone have confirmed that Saul asked the Club to let him leave and they told him that they'd accept a fee of about 50m€. He told the club he wanted to leave because he was not happy being played in different positions, Simeone confirmed that he thought Saul was very versatile and did play him even as LFB. He has played this season's first two games in his preferred position in the midfield and has, as far as I know, one assist. He is a hell of a midfielder and if the loan is a possibility, we should try it out without a hesitation. I think he'd bring more danger to our midfield than what we actually have.

3 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

I'm a massive fan of Saul but he is not the same player he once was, and there is a real chance he may never hit those heights again.

Saul has opened up in January about how his injuries have affected his perspective and the mental aspect of the game. Diego Simeone confirmed this in a recent interview. Physical and technical ability are one thing, but once your mental ability and desire for the game have gone, they are incredibly hard to recapture. 

On the upside though, there is a reason why so many top clubs have been linked with him. Saul is the perfect midfielder and in our system he can cover Kante, Jorginho or Kovacic's role with ease. He also offers one thing that all the others cannot - the ability to see and execute defense-splitting short passes through packed defenses. There is a reason why Barcelona wanted him when Iniesta was on the wane.

For some former prodigies, a change is as good as a holiday. Kovacic is a good example, and his time at Chelsea has utterly revived his career. For others, a change makes the mental battles all the worse - see Ross Barkley. 

All fair points. You're right about the fitness aspect and that remains the key question in my mind. We will see what happens, we won't lose anything from taking him on loan in my view. 

Think getting this deal done might be more important then you think at first glance.

He can fill in/compete with Jorginho and as of right now we have no one who can do that really. And three midfielders for a season of between 60 and 70 games when one is injury prone would be madness in any case.

Manchester United also interested in him apparently. 

Any loan would apparently carry a "sizeable loan fee" for the player and would be expected to cover the full cost of his £6m p/y wages (roughly £115k per week). Which would put him amongst the top earners in the squad.  

19 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Other than he is the Heart of ‘Atletico Madrid’, not RM,  he is a superb experienced international player, who is probably, no is an upgrade on Kovacic!

Niquez can't even start for Athletico Madrid. He is a backup player at this point of his career. Tchouameni would only cost about 25 million pounds and he could pair very well with Ksnte. The price may even drop further if Monaco gets eliminated from the Champions League tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, RMH said:

Atleti and Simeone have confirmed that Saul asked the Club to let him leave and they told him that they'd accept a fee of about 50m€. He told the club he wanted to leave because he was not happy being played in different positions, Simeone confirmed that he thought Saul was very versatile and did play him even as LFB. He has played this season's first two games in his preferred position in the midfield and has, as far as I know, one assist. He is a hell of a midfielder and if the loan is a possibility, we should try it out without a hesitation. I think he'd bring more danger to our midfield than what we actually have.

He has played the first two games as left wing back. I’m just watching a replay of the second one. 

7 minutes ago, ozboy said:

He has played the first two games as left wing back. I’m just watching a replay of the second one. 

You're right, he played as LWB, I don't know why the google page shows him in a midfield 2 with De Paul.

Screenshot 2021-08-24 at 14.19.17.png

41 minutes ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Niquez can't even start for Athletico Madrid. 

He has started and played 90' in the two first games this season.

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Manchester United also interested in him apparently. 

Any loan would apparently carry a "sizeable loan fee" for the player and would be expected to cover the full cost of his £6m p/y wages (roughly £115k per week). Which would put him amongst the top earners in the squad.  

For a loanee? Surely we can shop better than this for that sort of money.

52 minutes ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Niquez can't even start for Athletico Madrid. He is a backup player at this point of his career. Tchouameni would only cost about 25 million pounds and he could pair very well with Ksnte. The price may even drop further if Monaco gets eliminated from the Champions League tomorrow. 

I read somewhere Tchouameni and club have settled personal terms quite a while ago and I can't see Monaco demanding such a huge price that we'd shy away completely. I could imagine that if Monaco makes the CL we buy and loan him back immediately and after that secure Saul for at least a year and if they don't make the CL we buy and keep him with Saul going some place else. 

That said, I really dug Saul a couple of years ago but I somewhat would prefer a young and hungry player where I know he'll do everything 150% the manager says over a guy that comes from years of Simeone coaching on a rather negative note and has to adapt to another extremely nitpicky and highly demanding coach. But I also wouldn't complain if we have a midfield of Kovacic, Kanté, Jorginho and Saul to chose from... Could be worse.

This deal reminds me so much of the Kovacic deal. Saul is a bit older now than Kovacic was when we loaned him. But shades.

The responses are even similar amongst the posters. Personally, I love the loan move. I don’t really want it to be made permanent at this point, but if he performs well then so be it. A loan is very low risk on our side for a player of his quality.

Saul was a good player, i dont know what happened to him.

He needs a fresh start, the guy clearly lacks confidence right now and maybe he's tired of Simeone putting him out of position all the time ?

Right now, is he really that much better than Barkley and Ampadu ? (probably yes)

I would be ok with a loan move but with Billy and Conor coming back next season i wouldnt activate the buy clause unless he can score 10 goals.

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

Also not forgetting Saul was part of the none existent Atletico midfield that let us run through them time and again last season.

He saw Kante smile and everything was clear for him after that. Just let them through. 

Anyway a loan deal is pretty safe for us. You also have to remember Azpi is our captain and he can ease Saul into the team. I think this is a good move. Not for Ruben but for our ambitions. 

1 hour ago, evissy said:

He saw Kante smile and everything was clear for him after that. Just let them through. 

Anyway a loan deal is pretty safe for us. You also have to remember Azpi is our captain and he can ease Saul into the team. I think this is a good move. Not for Ruben but for our ambitions. 

Time will tell. So long as he does not upset the applecart. He is a big name on big wages.

51 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

I imagine the club still has one eye on Rice next summer which is why they are choosing to loan rather than go all out for a midfielder this summer.

And if we end up activating the buy clause, then he’ll have been a big success. A winner/winner situation imo.

21 minutes ago, evissy said:

I like doing deals with Atletico. Diego Costa, that left back, Morata sale. What's not to like. 

You mean Felipe Luis.. lol..  I remember bcoz i got his jersey but he didn't hang around for long... Just like when i bought the Del Horno jersey even though that jersey got the desired effect being a college kid on campus at the time. lol

From what. I saw Saul loooked in good touch and was fir  in his last game. He was steady without being at all spectacular. Doesn’t really look pacy enough for wing back but hard to tell much in what I watched.  A loan lets us h[get Kounde as well. Saul has in the past been good for a few goals although never getting to 10 in the league. 

13 hours ago, RMH said:

You're right, he played as LWB, I don't know why the google page shows him in a midfield 2 with De Paul.

Screenshot 2021-08-24 at 14.19.17.png

The last thing that Chelsea needs is another left footed WB. They just loaned out Emerson and Chilwell can't get any playing time with Alonso getting the bulk of the playing time.