Euro 2020 (played in 2021)

Was only half watching the other night, yet noticed Broja was playing for Albania and Mount for us and started to get interest.

Albania played smartly with a lot of men behind the ball and looked threatening on the counter.

Very impressed with Kane's headed goal and nice to see Mount take his goal smartly too.

Southgate said afterwards he expects Mount to be a regular and can't explain the hate Mount received for playing under Lampard at Chelsea yet not for England.

• 2 months later...

Just now, Strider6003 said:

There will be injuries though hopefully not too many and it may not be England we need to worry about yet perhaps our German contingent and I see the USA are also playing friendlies.

I somehow dont think we will miss puli as much as we would miss any of the english trio. Maybe chilly because Alonso would step in but we have a whole host of people that could cover puli

4 RBs is bloody strange, maybe one will play RCB in a 3? I agree there's been too much talk about Trent as if he's our Messi or something.

Lingard must be devasted, to be one of the most in form players in the league and not get a callup.

1 hour ago, 2211 said:

The media coverage for Trent Alexander!

Good player obviously,  but that was the main headline when I turned on the radio and even bigger headline when I got home and turned on the TV.

You’d think he was prime Messi or some world class game changer!

Trippier: won La Liga.

Walker: won the Premiership

James: won the Champions League

Alexander Arnold: Played well against Villa at Anfield. 

1 hour ago, 2211 said:

The media coverage for Trent Alexander!

Good player obviously,  but that was the main headline when I turned on the radio and even bigger headline when I got home and turned on the TV.

You’d think he was prime Messi or some world class game changer!

Alexander puts in some superb crosses yet needs the right defenders along side him for the counter attacks.

So the real question is which right back starts or will he play two ala Dave and RJ?

I think he'll play Walker at RCB and then it's down to the pre-tournament friendlies who plays at RWB. 

18 hours ago, OneTommyLangley said:

Maguire - Injured

Henderson - Injured

Sterling - off form

Rashford - off form

Southgate might know what he is doing but i dont.

This has been the downfall of many an England manager in tournaments. If they're injured they shouldn't be picked, simple as. Keegan, Brooking, Robson Beckham to name but a few who we have been over reliant on when they got injured.

6 minutes ago, charierre said:

This has been the downfall of many an England manager in tournaments. If they're injured they shouldn't be picked, simple as. Keegan, Brooking, Robson Beckham to name but a few who we have been over reliant on when they got injured.

Rooney, too. I remember him breaking his metatarsal at the Bridge and being rushed back. From memory he was awful in the tournament.

15 minutes ago, charierre said:

Sterling isn't injured and probably the only one that is relevant on that list is Maguire

48 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Sterling isn't injured and probably the only one that is relevant on that list is Maguire

Henderson hasn't played since February. He would probably start if fit.

18 minutes ago, charierre said:

Henderson hasn't played since February. He would probably start if fit.

Agree but I think Southgate will have no problem playing Philip/rice over unfit Henderson. 

Maguire is the bigger concern imo. 

1 hour ago, Bob stark said:

Agree but I think Southgate will have no problem playing Philip/rice over unfit Henderson. 

Maguire is the bigger concern imo. 

I think your missing the point. Southgate like other England managers has picked two players who are unfit with the hope that they maybe fit later in the tournament. This in the past hasn't been the best idea, Keegan and Brooking didn't get any game time till the last 15 mins of a must win game and were still clearly unfit. Better to just write off players who are unfit at the time of selection.

I heard somebody say this is the best group of England players we have had since we last won the world cup............yeah right. 

The so called golden generation was the best, they were just mismanaged.

I think if you look throughout every team in the world, they are much weaker than they were in the 90's and 2000's. In terms of quality, I think this is the weakest era in a long time. Player fitness is a lot better than it used to be, but the quality of football is pretty average.