Euro 2020 (played in 2021)

1 hour ago, reparto corse said:

Why? We have Chilwell.

Why not? He has one year left on his contract and we can get him cheap. We are going to play close to 60 games next season, might be better to have a 100% fit Chilwell play 30 of those, instead of a fatigued Chilwell struggling to play 40+ games. We might be unlucky and get an injury on Chilwell as well, who knows...

While Chilwell is a good all round left back/wingback, Robin Gosens is a better attacking wingback, wich is an important option to have against low block teams. I'm certain if we were abel to add Hakmi and Gosens as our wingbacks, with 30+ goals/assists between them, that would be just as good as getting Haaland for our attack.

35 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Germany were very good today.

Re Portugal they kept going and I was impressed with their subs, even though they lost today they look too good for England.

If I heard right Pepe is 38!

They might get kicked out, they have to win vs France which nobody has done...

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

When do England ever get a decent manger?

However I agree let's smash the Czechs and face whoever it is.

That’s a fair point, last one I can think of is Capello but he never really worked out, in fact he was sh*t.

Graham Potter is perfect for England IMO but not sure if he’d want the job.

I saw posts on Gosens, I agree I’d love him here but we are heavily linked with Hakimi who seems to be as good, if not better. He can play both sides too.

1 hour ago, ducavis said:

Like I said Goosens is a must buy if we can get rid of Alonso & Emerson, and insist on playing 3 at the back.

Output is ridiculous, pacy and delivery is brilliant.

I think we have already agreed to sign Hakimi and he can play on both sides.

40 minutes ago, mojo said:

Morata  :bow::bow::bow:

mora.gif

If there ever was a single player that can make a good team look weak that's Morata, Spain has really good technical players but they would change for Italy's Immobile any day of the week.

1 hour ago, dansubrosa said:

That’s a fair point, last one I can think of is Capello but he never really worked out, in fact he was sh*t.

Graham Potter is perfect for England IMO but not sure if he’d want the job.

I saw posts on Gosens, I agree I’d love him here but we are heavily linked with Hakimi who seems to be as good, if not better. He can play both sides too.

Capello might have been unlucky re the JT racist allegations making him unavailable and Rooney was probably past his peak yet with no obvious replacement. Still we did not improve and he needed to work that out.

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

They might get kicked out, they have to win vs France which nobody has done...

True, I was expecting Bruno Fernandez to show his class like he does for Utd though so far have been disappointed with him.

Those German crosses today really caught out the Portuguese defence,

2 hours ago, mojo said:

Morata  :bow::bow::bow:

mora.gif

I was surprised he didnt miss the tap in earlier!

How good would it be for Spain to crash out? Their tippy tappy rubbish with no cut through is a disastrous use a of a talented squad. They're playing a series of virtually identical players in midfield, with the only midfielders with cutthrough,  Llorente and Ruiz either playing out of position or on the bench.

Enrique thinks he's managing Barca with Messi as striker and all they have to do is have 90 percent possession and they'll win. Instead he's got Morata at striker :laugh2:

BBC were basically saying Spain are boring to watch, which is true. The thing that made me laugh though was Lineker saying they weren't boring when Xavi and Iniesta played for them and they were doing the same thing. I disagree massively, Spain were boring back then too. They were the best in world, but they were also really boring to watch.

Spain are basically a mirror of La Liga right now, slow and dull. I think tiki taka can be fun to watch, but not when it's 90+ minutes of it played at a snails pace. Argentina played tiki taka in 2006 and scored one of the greatest goals I have ever seen, but they weren't boring.

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

BBC were basically saying Spain are boring to watch, which is true. The thing that made me laugh though was Lineker saying they weren't boring when Xavi and Iniesta played for them and they were doing the same thing. I disagree massively, Spain were boring back then too. They were the best in world, but they were also really boring to watch.

Spain are basically a mirror of La Liga right now, slow and dull. I think tiki taka can be fun to watch, but not when it's 90+ minutes of it played at a snails pace. Argentina played tiki taka in 2006 and scored one of the greatest goals I have ever seen, but they weren't boring.

All about movement off the ball to make it interesting. Spain under Aragones when they won in 2008 played a similar style but weren't boring because the movement was lively and peak Torres gave them a different focus. In 2010 and 2012 they played a much more stagnant form of tiki taka. 

Passing football can be great but too often it is focussed on retention of the ball for retentions sake. Arsenal in their prime v Arsenal in the latter part of the 2000s is a great example.

P.S. that Cambiasso goal is still the best I've ever seen at any level.

On 19/06/2021 at 02:44, RMH said:

The only way to understand Southgate leaving Sterling on for 90 minutes is by looking at the crosses of the round of 16. The first of the group plays the second of the France, Germany, Portugal group, while the second of England’s group plays the second of the Spain, Sweden, Slovakia, Poland group. It pays off to not top the group.

Sterling is a joke for a football player. I don't understand what for instance Guardiola sees in him letting him play so much for a team that is the second best In Europe. Every time he gets the ball he starts to make it towards the goal without seeing anything or anyone else and normally he looses the ball.