Euro 2020 (played in 2021)

38 minutes ago, erskblue said:

I don’t do the Scotland v England rivalry.

A good few of my work colleagues were wanting England to get beaten tonight. So this win will quieten them down😀

Me neither - I just don’t want Gareth Bale to do well because of obvious reasons. 

10 minutes ago, coco said:

Mason is having an absolute sublime season, i just keep thinking of those pictures of him as a little boy, and now look where he is, in the thick of it, fighting for tackles, crossing the ball for goals. No wonder the kid keeps on smiling.

His tracking back to stop Yarmalenko in the first half was as important as the goals.

31 minutes ago, coco said:

I always support the home nations and Ireland, get more fun out of life that way, rather than a belly full of poison.

I support England, I don't support the others, but I'm not wishing them to get knocked out either, I just don't care about them 😆

56 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Same. If England ever win a final, I'm sure I will feel differently, but right now, I don't have the same sense of joy I got when we beat Atletico and Real in the Champions League.

I don't know if I'm alone but I find the "coming home" stuff really off putting.

It's staggering arrogance from a nation who have won f**k all for so long.

7 minutes ago, Argo said:

I don't know if I'm alone but I find the "coming home" stuff really off putting.

If you listen to the song it came from, it’s actually very tongue in cheek and self deprecating. Basically a we’re sh*t and we know we are, but we can dream. 

must admit, I’m in the minority. I found the song and the chant it generated irritating when it first came out in 96 and still do. Similarly bored of the ‘please don’t take me home’ dirge.

8 minutes ago, Argo said:

It's all light hearted, nothing wrong with being optimistic..........Having said that, are we (England) the Spurs of international football? 😄

Just now, The Brit said:

If you listen to the song it came from, it’s actually very tongue in cheek and self deprecating. Basically a we’re sh*t and we know we are, but we can dream. 

must admit, I’m in the minority. I found the song and the chant it generated irritating when it first came out in 96 and still do. Similarly bored of the ‘please don’t take me home’ dirge.

Prefer 'World in motion' myself 😄

Happy England won and a much better performance. Still don’t think we’ve played anyone that great and I include Germany and Croatia in that. Certainly shouldn’t take a win over Denmark for granted - they’re a good side.

As for Southgate, hard to criticise a coach that’s winning…but must say his treatment of Chelsea’s two cl winning wing backs very odd. Left Reece out completely, ignored Chilwell on the bench even when cruising.

shaw has raised his game the last one and a half games and you have to say fair play. Still think Chilwell could have done the same job, if not better, from the start of the tournament.

as for Kyle Walker, it’s a good job he’s quick. Not sure what else he’s got. He was our worst player tonight, terrible on the ball and when his speed couldn’t bail him out, looked clueless defensively. 

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

No. Southgate could have bought him on for Shaw, but played Trippier (a RB) instead. 

Still don't know what Chilwell has done to lose not just his starting spot but even back up position in this England team.

He plays for us. See us also Reece James being dropped while Walker starts lmao.

Good second half from England. I think that the final is almost in the bag, it would have to go horribly wrong against Denmark for England to go out. It’s a semifinal and anything can happen, but England is very tough to break and Denmark has as much fire power as the Ukraine, none. It should be an interesting final England v Italy.

4 hours ago, ashwin said:

England has been a terribly boring team to watch. Did you really find them more entertaining than Italy, Denmark, even Spain or Germany?! Frankly, the only team that has played trash turgid football and has progressed is England. This skillful set of players deserves a better manager.

Southgate (like Martinez) seems to have no clear attacking ideology. With Italy and Mancini, the benefits of a good coach come out so beautifully.

I dont rate Southgate but i think they have been better to watch than the Italians who aren't a patch to watch on Conte's team and tbh did not have the better chances against Belgium. 

Spain and Italy have this same monopolise the ball at all costs approach and I hope either the Danes or English bust them in the final.

3 hours ago, The Brit said:

Happy England won and a much better performance. Still don’t think we’ve played anyone that great and I include Germany and Croatia in that. Certainly shouldn’t take a win over Denmark for granted - they’re a good side.

As for Southgate, hard to criticise a coach that’s winning…but must say his treatment of Chelsea’s two cl winning wing backs very odd. Left Reece out completely, ignored Chilwell on the bench even when cruising.

shaw has raised his game the last one and a half games and you have to say fair play. Still think Chilwell could have done the same job, if not better, from the start of the tournament.

as for Kyle Walker, it’s a good job he’s quick. Not sure what else he’s got. He was our worst player tonight, terrible on the ball and when his speed couldn’t bail him out, looked clueless defensively. 

C’mon Shaw is a better LB than Chiwell.

11 minutes ago, ducavis said:

C’mon Shaw is a better LB than Chiwell.

I don't think there is much between them. Chilwell is a better defender for me, Shaw is better at crossing and set pieces. Running forward with the ball, I think Chilwell is better, Shaw tends to pass backwards once he gets on the ball which slows down attacks, Chilwell will pass it forward and continue his run. I think Shaw is better at overlapping. 

It reminds me of the early days of Wayne Bridge and Ashley Cole's career. There wasn't much between them.

7 hours ago, coco said:

Have you actually listened to the words ? it's anything but arrogant.

The lyrics may be tongue in cheek as mentioned, but I'm not sure all England supporters know this. My guess would be for them the song confirms their chest-thumping sense of entitlement. Rest assured, they're not alone in this. One of the reasons I always want Oranje to be knocked out is the boastful talk of some supporters about being champions after winning one group match.

Belgium was never going to win with Lukaku up top.

Hope the win pushes the English lads to believe but not get too hung up on it that they can't focus

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

The lyrics may be tongue in cheek as mentioned, but I'm not sure all England supporters know this. My guess would be for them the song confirms their chest-thumping sense of entitlement. Rest assured, they're not alone in this. One of the reasons I always want Oranje to be knocked out is the boastful talk of some supporters about being champions after winning one group match.

We sing Chelsea are 'by far the greatest team the World has ever seen', we don't literally mean it, it's just bravado, if we have no bravado fans, it would be a very quiet stadium.

17 minutes ago, coco said:

We sing Chelsea are 'by far the greatest team the World has ever seen', we don't literally mean it, it's just bravado, if we have no bravado fans, it would be a very quiet stadium.

We don't mean that :shok: ? Next you'll be telling me the world isn't a pancake! You're so silly sometimes @coco

3 hours ago, Valerie said:

The phrase means that football was 'invented' in England and when we hosted it in 96, it was like football has come back to it's origin point.

The rest of the song was basically 'please win England even though we're not always the best but there is quality there'

But you're right, in modern day not many people know what the song was really about and is just a pure chant of 'England are going to win the trophy'

But I think people find it particularly offensive for England fans to have this kind of bravado since England have gone through the golden generation and bottled it every time. It's like how dare you have any level of optimism when you are the definition of Spursy!

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, just said:

Greatest football song ever. 

Eminem and Snoop Dog owe a lot to John Barnes for inventing rap!

Rap was invented by Sir John Rapper in 1862. 

Edited by Munkworth

15 hours ago, sonic90 said:

Mount has an awful singing voice lol

Lol noticed that too. He certainly doesn’t have a future in music when he’s done playing football. Nor does Kane 

13 hours ago, RMH said:

Good second half from England. I think that the final is almost in the bag, it would have to go horribly wrong against Denmark for England to go out. It’s a semifinal and anything can happen, but England is very tough to break and Denmark has as much fire power as the Ukraine, none. It should be an interesting final England v Italy.

Denmark could win, decent striker, good crosser, some good midfielders and defenders. Their manager has been good with the tactics, so far.

Yes I fancy England with Kane back on form and Maguire now scoring think we will be too strong yet we have to play the game and focus and watch those challenges.