Euro 2020 (played in 2021)

My take on the final:

110% Southgates fault!!! Forget all this rubbisj about we done well to get this far blah blah. Lets be brutally honest, we played almost every game at Wembley, we had an easy draw on paper and got very lucky in a couple games, especially vs Germany.

People saying this squad is more together than our 2006-2010 golden era. Our golden era wouldve certainly won this tournament not being up against greater sides like Brazil, Spain and Germany in those years.

What i saw from England in Euro 2020 was painful football that i saw at times under Sarri, Lamps and even Tuchel on a few occasions. The thing is when you set up defensive, it better pay off as most fans would rather lose to excitement.

Subs were so late and he set up Rashford and Sancho to fail. Who the hell saves that amount of attacking talent just to take pens?

The conspiracy theory tells me Southgate planned this so it now overshadows his 1996 penalty miss. Now it will be about Saka now and in the future.

6 hours ago, KonaKai Blue said:

People saying this squad is more together than our 2006-2010 golden era. Our golden era wouldve certainly won this tournament not being up against greater sides like Brazil, Spain and Germany in those years.

Nope, talent wise you can have a debate which one is better but this England team is better team than the golden generation one. 

This England team is much more solid defensively which is what international tournament all about. 

8 hours ago, Valerie said:

@Scott Harris said it much better than I can.

About England's bright future: they are probably more Belgium than France, especially if Southgate stays on 

Nah. England team is very2 complete, you can have an argument that they are the 2nd best team in this tournament after France. 

Belgium on the other hand never have good fb. It is the story of international football, your weaknesses is far more important than your strength because they are usually very glaring and you simply can't fix it. 

This is what happen with Argentina. Even with Messi who can cover so many weakness, they were unable to win anything for years because defensively they were bad plus their gk was just awful. Everything change when a  certain German gk got injured and it turned out that Martinez is very2 good. 

Edited by Bob stark

13 hours ago, ashwin said:

It's just appalling, all the racist abuse that Saka and co are getting online.

And some people feel that they take the knee because they align with some abstract movement in another continent? Racist abuse is part of every non-white person's life in white majority countries even today and this will hopefully help some people get out of their bubbles and see why athletes and institutions must continue to take a stance. People who boo an anti racism gesture must simply be banned from attending matches.

And this is likely the same fan base that's been such an embarrassment to England throughout this tournament.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-tyrone-mings-racism-patel-24520124

5 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Nah. England team is very2 complete, you can have an argument that they are the 2nd best team in this tournament after France. 

Belgium on the other hand never have good fb. It is the story of international football, your weaknesses is far more important than your strength because they are usually very glaring and you simply can't fix it. 

This is what happen with Argentina. Even with Messi who can cover so many weakness, they were unable to win anything for years because defensively they were bad plus their gk was just awful. Everything change when a  certain German gk got injured and it turned out that Martinez is very2 good. 

I watched a bit of the Copa America Sunday night and Messi was well marked.

It reminded me a bit of England v Scotland as the teams know each other so well, good goal by Di Maria.

I think Argentina should make the semis at the WC though notice once again they have Nigeria in their group stage, that's normally a decent group game. 

1 hour ago, ashwin said:

Their has been a massive reaction in this country to the few racists who abused our players on social media. I doubt you would see such a reaction in many other countries. We're not a racist nation, people are largely free to live their lives without discrimination. 

5 hours ago, Bob stark said:

The point is that with Southgate it's a big question if England can ever be the best team at any tournament even with the massive potential and good talent. There are strong teams on paper, that alone isn't enough. The comparison is more about the fact that Belgium couldn't win with a great generation while France managed to win a World Cup with their own strong team.

Argentina reached the World Cup final in 2014 not only because of Messi/Di Maria but also due to them having a strong defense.

37 minutes ago, coco said:

Their has been a massive reaction in this country to the few racists who abused our players on social media. I doubt you would see such a reaction in many other countries. We're not a racist nation, people are largely free to live their lives without discrimination. 

Agreed. The massive reaction bodes well I think.

There's no doubt whatsoever that everyday discrimination is far far less in England than, say, in Italy or most European countries. And it's a real credit to the nation that the reaction to discrimination is so strong. But there is still enough discrimination that most people who live for extended periods in England face this at least a few times. Given the ideals to aspire to, this racist section of fans must be weeded out completely. As opposed to condoning discriminatory actions like booing anti-racism gestures which only serves to encourage them.

38 minutes ago, coco said:

I think England have done well despite Southgate, not because of him, may seem harsh as he's a nice bloke, but it's true.

Yeah, he's clueless as a coach. A team with this quality deserves more than just a nice person and people manager.

29 minutes ago, ashwin said:

But there is still enough discrimination that most people who live for extended periods in England face this at least a few times. Given the ideals to aspire to, this racist section of fans must be weeded out completely. As opposed to condoning discriminatory actions like booing anti-racism gestures which only serves to encourage them.

Totally agree, it's here no hiding it, but were not infested, and the few hateful bastards we do have here that can't keep their gobs shut better be worried, because a prosecution is looming for them if they don't, a quick google search and you'll find more and more incidents of people being arrested and prosecuted for online abuse.

50 minutes ago, ashwin said:

As opposed to condoning discriminatory actions like booing anti-racism gestures which only serves to encourage them.

Who condoned that?

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

The point is that with Southgate it's a big question if England can ever be the best team at any tournament even with the massive potential and good talent. There are strong teams on paper, that alone isn't enough. The comparison is more about the fact that Belgium couldn't win with a great generation while France managed to win a World Cup with their own strong team.

Nah, to have a great national team you need a complete team. You can produce 20 wc attacker but produce 0 cb and you will never win anything. 

Belgium team is never complete whereas this France is super complete. You simply don't see any weaknesses in their squad. This is the key in all international team do you see any glaring weakness. 

Edited by Bob stark

3 hours ago, ashwin said:

Yeah, he's clueless as a coach. A team with this quality deserves more than just a nice person and people manager.

That clueless coach has taken us from being beaten by Iceland to 4th place, 3rd place then losing a final. Thats progression. He ballsed up the final but he has done very well with a national team that has been failing for nigh on 50 years now. Some of the stick he is getting is ridiculous. I suppose he only did well because we played rubbish teams, got lucky etc....

8 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Yes and they’re running the country - a massive encouragement to your average common moron and their moronic ways such as racism. 

They are in a minority, a very thick and vocal minority but a minority none the less. I think people really need to be careful with some of these sweeping statements throwing in right minded people who are condemning this abuse in with these neanderthals, just because we happen to have been born in the same country. I`m seeing some frankly disgusting things being said about us English at the moment, we aren`t these vermin.

Edited by dkw

6 minutes ago, dkw said:

They are in a minority, a very thick and vocal minority but a minority none the less. I think people really need to be careful with some of these sweeping statements throwing in right minded people who are condemning this abuse in with these neanderthals, just because we happen to have been born in the same country. I`m seeing some frankly disgusting things being said about us English at the moment, we aren`t these vermin.

I agree but maybe that should inspire more average people to call out their local f**ktards and put a stop to their stupidity?

35 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

I agree but maybe that should inspire more average people to call out their local f**ktards and put a stop to their stupidity?

I can only speak for my area but thats what has happened, our local Tory MP (Ex UKIP, ex BNP) gets hammered for all the things he says, and hopefully has absolutely no chance of getting back in the next election. He got in on the back of Brexit and, like all the Torys played on the mess that has been left for poor bastards in sh*tty towns who are unable to get work and are shown images of immigrants living it up etc.