Fixtures

very tough start with Arsenal (A) Spurs (A) Liverpool (A) and City (H) in the first 6 games!

In some ways though, I prefer to get the tough ones out of the way early in the season when results are a bit more random.

If we can get 12 points say from the first 6 games, we should be well placed to start making a push.

Totally agree, nightmare start but a think Arsenal and spurs are average at the best of times so should get results with them games, liverpool and City will be the hard ones but in saying that City haven't beaten us yet so all could be good. As long as we don't drop points. 

Despite some dodgy results last season in the league, we should be beating Arsenal, Spuds, Villa.

City v Chelsea is close on paper, but then you remember it's Pep v Tuchel, which is no contest.

Liverpool worry me more because they finished strongly and will have their main man back.

We should be fighting for the title no matter what.

1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

Nightmare fixtures and probably played in half full stadiums the thought of losing to Arsenal and Spurs in a couple of weeks is gut wrenching.

Don't think it then :wink:

It's completely pointless to moan about when we're playing what club. You never know when it's the right time to play an opponent. So many times there have been posts like "Why didn't we play [insert club] at the start of the season when they were sh*t" or similar. If we want to win the league, we have to play well and beat any opponent that's in front of us.

It's a tough start but then again we will play easier fixtures in Christmas period except for the Dippers on the 1st of January. We also have a tough schedule in January-February.

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

Don't think it then :wink:

It's completely pointless to moan about when we're playing what club. You never know when it's the right time to play an opponent. So many times there have been posts like "Why didn't we play [insert club] at the start of the season when they were sh*t" or similar. If we want to win the league, we have to play well and beat any opponent that's in front of us.

I'm old school Chelsea we always fear the worse even now 😁.

If you look at the fixtures which look tough at the start and at the beginning of the next year the positive in this that there won't be any Champions league games during this period.  Team would be able to exclusively focus on winning this big fixtures, while when we play Champions league games we would have an "easier run" of games. Also, lower chance of having too many injured players at the beginning of the season than later.I think those fixtures might play into our favor in the long run of the season.

So, "on paper" we have a tough start, and will play Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and City before the end of September. January looks interesting too, but we still only play 38 games, the same as everyone else.  With one or two changes, nobody will fancy playing us, least of all City.  We will be favourites or second favourites for the title and must perform as such, like we did under Mourinho. Sweep teams  like Spurs, Arsenal, Villa, Everton aside and reserve our best performances for United, City and Liverpool, who will remain in the top 4.

2 hours ago, RMH said:

It's a tough start but then again we will play easier fixtures in Christmas period except for the Dippers on the 1st of January. We also have a tough schedule in January-February.

Facing the best teams while Mendy is away at the ACoN...

16 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Facing the best teams while Mendy is away at the ACoN...

Yes, I didn't realise the Afcon will happen Jan-Feb '22. But don't worry, Tuchel trusts Kepa.... :Troll_Face:

I'm not too worried about the first set of big games being played in the first two months but I'm very worried about the second set being played when Mendy goes to the ACON.

f**k how it will look having a record signing as 3rd choice, we need an adequate back up urgently.

Even with that start and start on the new year runs we still have Everton, Leeds and United as our last 3 away games lol.

7 minutes ago, Argo said:

I'm not too worried about the first set of big games being played in the first two months but I'm very worried about the second set being played when Mendy goes to the ACON.

f**k how it will look having a record signing as 3rd choice, we need an adequate back up urgently.

Mendy being away and Kepa in goal means about 5 points from 18 coming in that time, or 6 in 21 if he misses that many.

6 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Even with that start and start on the new year runs we still have Everton, Leeds and United as our last 3 away games lol.

Mendy being away and Kepa in goal means about 5 points from 18 coming in that time, or 6 in 21 if he misses that many.

I wouldn't go that far but it certainly would have potential to derail any title bid especially if City and/or Liverpool start putting up relentless numbers again.