Marcus Bettinelli to Chelsea

-Rhod Gilbert voice- HERE IT IS! THE SIGNING OF THE SUMMER! Oh I can not wait to watch him pick his nose on the bench for 38 games. We were linked with Haaland; we were linked with Rice; Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson flew to space; but nothing compares to this. Signing of the century. 

-on a side note, good luck to him, I'd love to doss around for £40k a week and get paid to stay fit.-

1 hour ago, dansubrosa said:

Better than Donnarumma imo

If he can have a 100% clean sheet record for us like Donnarumma does for Milan I won't be complaining.

• Mod Stark changed the title to Marcus Bettinelli to Chelsea

32 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Ah goody, an English journeyman 3rd keeper ... following on in the fine traditions of Lennie Pidgeley, Ross Turnbull and Rob Green 🙂

Ross Turnbull - you might have just placed a cutout instead.

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Jumped the gun a little here eh @Mod Stark, not official yet you could be jinxing us...could be Spurs swoop in and steal him lol...

Ah I thought it being the great Sky Sports, it was done. I’ll leave it in the hope Spurs swoop in! Hopefully we’ve got the shirts printed already too.

(We take the piss but he could end up being a 5-pen saver in a champs league final)

Third choice keepers are always vulnerable to banter as they look so out of place on the rooster but from what i read on a Fulham forum they are shocked he's settling for such a role.

That must mean he's actually pretty decent relitevely speaking and he will probably actually get some cup games aswell as Kepa will become a league keeper for a month (when Edou goes to ACON) which means this guy will likely get the cup games in that period.

Speaking of Kepa, if we can by some miracle find him a new home ì wouldn't mind looking at two other ex Fulham keepers for the new number 2 role, Sergio Rico or Areola, atleast one will be made available by Paris given Donnaruma's arrival, both if Navas stays.

28 minutes ago, Argo said:

Third choice keepers are always vulnerable to banter as they look so out of place on the rooster but from what i read on a Fulham forum they are shocked he's settling for such a role.

That must mean he's actually pretty decent relitevely speaking and he will probably actually get some cup games aswell as Kepa will become a league keeper for a month (when Edou goes to ACON) which means this guy will likely get the cup games in that period.

Speaking of Kepa, if we can by some miracle find him a new home ì wouldn't mind looking at two other ex Fulham keepers for the new number 2 role, Sergio Rico or Areola, atleast one will be made available by Paris given Donnaruma's arrival, both if Navas stays.

Think an ideal would be accepting that rumored loan for Kepa to go to Lazio and hope he rebuilds his rep, and we loan Areola who looked good at Fulham.

10 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Ah goody, an English journeyman 3rd keeper ... following on in the fine traditions of Lennie Pidgeley, Ross Turnbull and Rob Green 🙂

I was there when Rob Green saved a penalty against Lyonnais, yessir :woohoo:

I have some very vague recollection of Bettinelli being terrible during Fulham's second-most recent disastrous Premier League campaign. Brilliant strategic move from the club to somehow sign someone even worse than Kepa to get his confidence up.

Either way, welcome to the club. May you continue the proud tradition of your hallowed ancestors.

I was curious how this signing helps us.  I suppose it makes sense for a 3rd choice keeper.  A guy that we all hope never see's the pitch during a meaningful game.

Hes there to hit the english quota.. But couldn't we have just done that with one of our academy keepers? 

My thinking is probably that it will kind of waste the career of a young upcoming keeper by just having him warm the bench, whereas at least an older 3rd keeper wont have that issue.

35 minutes ago, junkymunky said:

Hes there to hit the english quota.. But couldn't we have just done that with one of our academy keepers? 

My thinking is probably that it will kind of waste the career of a young upcoming keeper by just having him warm the bench, whereas at least an older 3rd keeper wont have that issue.

For many reasons.

As you have already touched on young keepers need game time. So they either go on loan or play with the U23, a full time gig in the first team means they can't get those level matches.

Also third keepers are also looked at for more ways than just their playing ability, as they clearly won't be doing too much of that they need to look at character and what type of wisdom they can bring to the dressing room. For example, Rob Green was clearly not going to be much help on the pitch but by all accounts he was fantastic in the locker room, a similar example is Carson at City who Pep can't praise enough.