Arsenal v Chelsea (PL) Sun 22nd Aug 2021 16:30 GMT

coco

With City coming up it's tempting to prioritise their fixture over this one, but getting 6 points against Arsenal this season is essential. Man City will likely take points off fellow rivals, but they along with United, Liverpool and Leicester are unlikely to drop points to Arsenal as the season progresses. That means we need to beat Arsenal just maintain parity, whereas points against City are likely to just be a bonus.

Arsenal are the kind of team that can really bypass Jorginho's influence as they play wide and direct on the counter-attack, and don't care about ceding possession in midfield as they are good at blocking passing lanes and intercepting.

For some reason, Kante has also had horrible showings against them in his last few outings. Kovacic, with his ability to carry the ball through the lines, is key here, as would Mount or Pulisic's ability to run with the ball and disrupt Arsenal's shape.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

these used to be nailed on 3 points for us when the bid Drog was around. Hope Lukaku improves on his poor goal record against them. Looking at their team  - they look to be their for the taking. Having said that ESR is a decent player and we need to be careful off him.

8 hours ago, ozboy said:

Not sure Rom will start. Good form bring him on after 60 minutes.

Team that played against Palace would do fine. Might be inclined to start Havertz in front of Mount who I thought was only ok in the palace game.

Totally agree with not starting Rom. We have him for 5 years and there is no need to rush him into the starting lineup considering he hasn't had a full preseason and also had a week off due to the transfer and quarantine. Let's get him used to our system first before he starts. Even though we play the same 3 at the back like inter our teams have totally different philosophies. 

Inter play with a low block and play direct with fast counter attacks , while we play a possession game with a high block and a high press.

Mount on the other hand has to start. He was brilliant in the first half but faded in the second due to fatigue and a lack of preseason. This week's training will do him the world of good.

I say we start the same team like against Palace but switch pulisic with Havertz and Kova with Kante

is a Lukaku hat-trick to much to ask for? Recent form against Arsenal has been poor, they always seem to use us as a trampoline to bounce back from humiliation only to then lose the following week. I'm praying it doesn't happen again this time. Three points is the only positive outcome from Sunday.

If Lukaku starts it'll be because Tuchel thinks he's ready, not just fit, but technically informed with what his duty will be in the team.

I think he may well play him from the start because we have some tough fixtures coming up and if he can get Lukaku bed in against Arsenal it will give Tuchel a lot of options.

38 minutes ago, jrshugo said:

is a Lukaku hat-trick to much to ask for? Recent form against Arsenal has been poor, they always seem to use us as a trampoline to bounce back from humiliation only to then lose the following week. I'm praying it doesn't happen again this time. Three points is the only positive outcome from Sunday.

Exactly.... Especially with them playing City after us.  Lets bash them,hopefully they wake up against city and then return to their NATURAL HABITAT

Could we see a change in system for Lukaku?

Potentially 2 up top with Werner and Havertz/Mount in behind. We are so top heavy in terms of attacking talent and its going to be a tough job for Tuchel to keep people happy.

1 hour ago, Sheva said:

Could we see a change in system for Lukaku?

Potentially 2 up top with Werner and Havertz/Mount in behind. We are so top heavy in terms of attacking talent and its going to be a tough job for Tuchel to keep people happy.

Giroud and Abraham have now left the team. So I dont see a big issue here for Tuchel. It is easier for him than last season.

45 minutes ago, TheGermanOne said:

Giroud and Abraham have now left the team. So I dont see a big issue here for Tuchel. It is easier for him than last season.

I meant more as in our attacking midfielders. We potentially have 7 to fit 2 positions. I know we have alot of games coming up but 7 of those players are young and ambitious and want to start every game.

Mount, Havertz, Werner, CHO, Ziyech, Pulisic, RLC

Its a good problem to have and Tuchel seems to handle it well though its still a problem.

RLC may get sold or loaned but I think Callum will be the likely one not to feature alot this season unless a few injuries pile up.

Edited by Sheva

3 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

Totally agree with not starting Rom. We have him for 5 years and there is no need to rush him into the starting lineup considering he hasn't had a full preseason and also had a week off due to the transfer and quarantine. Let's get him used to our system first before he starts. Even though we play the same 3 at the back like inter our teams have totally different philosophies. 

Inter play with a low block and play direct with fast counter attacks , while we play a possession game with a high block and a high press.

Mount on the other hand has to start. He was brilliant in the first half but faded in the second due to fatigue and a lack of preseason. This week's training will do him the world of good.

I say we start the same team like against Palace but switch pulisic with Havertz and Kova with Kante

We have the world's best flat track bully and benching him is a bit of a letdown for me.

I agree with all of your points

3 hours ago, jrshugo said:

To score a hat-trick in the first game on his return to the PL would be great but I don't really expect it to happen. Lukaku is probably ready to start the game but I'm not sure if we can score an early goal unless it's a penalty or something like a corner for Mount. Some individual quality performance would help like Alonso's free kick vs Palace just to start the game well but IMO the squad is far away from being in a top form.

I do expect us to have 60% possession and on paper it's possible that James comes in with some nice crosses for Lukaku for easy goals but it's also possible that we struggle in the final third and that the first half finishes 0:0. For me it looks like we started the season slow and some of our players are not fully ready yet but despite that we won the Super Cup and easily dismantled CP so a win against Arsenal shouldn't be a problem...

3 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

To score a hat-trick in the first game on his return to the PL would be great but I don't really expect it to happen. Lukaku is probably ready to start the game but I'm not sure if we can score an early goal unless it's a penalty or something like a corner for Mount. Some individual quality performance would help like Alonso's free kick vs Palace just to start the game well but IMO the squad is far away from being in a top form.

I do expect us to have 60% possession and on paper it's possible that James comes in with some nice crosses for Lukaku for easy goals but it's also possible that we struggle in the final third and that the first half finishes 0:0. For me it looks like we started the season slow and some of our players are not fully ready yet but despite that we won the Super Cup and easily dismantled CP so a win against Arsenal shouldn't be a problem...

Yeah hat-trick was/is wishful thinking but still a possibility. Couldn’t care if he didn’t score at all as long as we win to be honest.

I think we need to start him though. I get that he hasn’t had much time etc etc but his job is still the same, get on the end of something and score. If he starts, he scores in my mind. 

games still a week out and I’m already going through the motions of nerves and optimism, and waffling

13 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

With him being a striker and scoring all 7 of his in Italy I wonder if he will want to take the number 1 spot.

Werner wanted that, didn't work out.

1 minute ago, Gol15 said:

Werner wanted that, didn't work out.

Think we are all hoping Lukaku is far more deadly that Werner in all aspects.

Just good for a strikers confidence if he takes them well. Like Kane or Salah.

31 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Hmm I wonder if there is any truth we will go to 4 at the back for this one.

Mendy

Dave

Christensen

Rudiger

Chilwell

Jorginho

Kante

Havertz

Mount

Lukaku

Werner

You could replace one of Mount/Werner/Havertz with CHO giving the option of using the more familiar 3-4-3 whilst being able to change to a 4-3-3 without changing personnel. 

25 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

You could replace one of Mount/Werner/Havertz with CHO giving the option of using the more familiar 3-4-3 whilst being able to change to a 4-3-3 without changing personnel. 

True true.

Just wanted to know where you guys factored Pulisic in once Lukaku is on the field full time. Tuchel's pet Timo Warner ain't going anywhere, neither is Mount. I see Christian being relegated to the bench in his "super sub" role. Thoughts?

Edited by USATim