Arsenal v Chelsea (PL) Sun 22nd Aug 2021 16:30 GMT

coco

Wow. Totally bossed that game. From defence to attack. Lukaku literally fits in the missing piece of the puzzle. Pace, power, everything. He is going to scare the life out of the opposition this season. Mount very good too. Should have too assists to his name really, bar a top class save from Leno. James top class too. Goal and assist. He is criticised for his productivity in the final third, but good to see he is working on that. What a finish. I was worried when I saw Alonso in the team, however he held his own. It is amazing how Tuchel has transformed our defence. Christensen was so good out there. Literally not one bad thing to say about the performance. The squad depth is so good too. Good to see us end our mini-hoodoo against the Gooners too.

7 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Football fans all over the country delighted to be back in the stadiums and yet Arsenal fans boo their own team sums those tossers up.

They didn‘t play that bad either as well - especially those 7-10 mins before halftime. Could have easily be a pen too in their favor too. Maybe a lot of fans still underestimate the coherent power of the Chelsea team either - it may look easy to defend from the outside but it certainly ain’t.

But I guess those boo chants are more about the general state of the team/manager and less about the actual game vs us. At least they can boo it live now instead of just smashing their tv‘s

4 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

3-0 to us, so so so confident

Sorry couldn't get the score right, but i was right to be confident, plus i'll give Lukaku half a goal for the bullet header, lol...

On another note, when Lukaku was asked on SS to assess his performance he uttered the now going to be immortal 'Dominant'...... oh f**kin yes

Great win.  Professional performance and had so much more to offer.

Positives:
- Lukaku.  What can you say that hasn't been said.  So impressed with what he can offer this team
- We look strong, all over.  Squad is improving immensely also.  Look who we brought off the bench, and who was still sitting there
- Players know the system and roles so well
- Never got out of 2nd or 3rd gear in second half - had more if needed

If I were being critical:
- We should kill teams off more. Could have easily scored 4 today
- Against fast counter attacking sides Jorginho concerns me.  When introduced, Kante seemed to clean that up
- Still a little wasteful in final third.  It will come, but one day I'd love us to actually exceed our xG!

Arsenal are not bad and will improve. So I think. Great result. Thought Jorginho looked tired, his game was just that bit off, particularly forward passing. Mount I really needs to be better and more consistent in front of goal. James was my man of the match. Lukaku delivered. Alonso was good and he has to be to keep Chiller in the cold. Next week the true test. 

3 hours ago, Bob stark said:

It really wasn't azpi fault. 0 protection from James in the 1st half 

Ah, I wasn't really blaming him for anything tbh. I know Reece isn't the best cover out there, just felt like Azpi was a little bit off on a personal level, like someone who plays on a flu or lacking some sleep. Like Valpo said, there were some balls that went past him that Azpi himself looked a little bit surprised, one sec late to react... 

The 2nd half though proved to me that there wasn't anything to worry about him, no flu, no lack of sleep, aged legs or whatsoever haha keep it up, captain!

Brilliant first half. Not as good afterwards. Probably a bit lucky that pen wasn't given against James to get them back in to it, but in the end we really could have won by more.

That said, can't complain too much about beating that mob with Kante playing 20mins. That is a huge improvement over recent games against them.

I said we needed to be beating that dross to be contenders and we did. On to the next test!

Great result, could have won more but 2:0 with us playing third gear for most of the game was satisfying.  Lukaku showed us what's the fuss was all about, 2 big chances scored 1 and should have scored the other if not for a great save and luck of the game post & bar. He's offering the extra dimension of holding the ball up, and attacking the crosses. It's only his first game, now with the first goal out of the way, he's going to have a huge season. Bit disappointed Chaloabh missed out, but none could argue James' performance today. We aren't rushing players back, which is good as we have another 50+ games to go, this is the time to ease players back ( while winning), not pushing too hard. Arsenal had a go at us, but we stood firm, their best chance was a dodgy penalty call, said it all.

4 hours ago, weetee said:

They didn‘t play that bad either as well - especially those 7-10 mins before halftime. Could have easily be a pen too in their favor too. Maybe a lot of fans still underestimate the coherent power of the Chelsea team either - it may look easy to defend from the outside but it certainly ain’t.

But I guess those boo chants are more about the general state of the team/manager and less about the actual game vs us. At least they can boo it live now instead of just smashing their tv‘s

Agreed. Arsenal weren't terrible for the quality of players they had on the field, their pressing game was actually pretty good, it's just that they came up against a better team with better players.

Arsenal fans need a reality check., because nobody in their starting 11 today gets into any top 4 starting 11. Tierney, Smith-Rowe and Saka are all decent players, but that is all they are. The rest of that starting 11 is bang average mid table footballers. Souness often talks sh*t on Sky Sports, but he was spot on before the game. He basically said that if Chelsea turned up, then there is no way this Arsenal team gets anything out of the game. That is the reality Arsenal fans need to accept, their squad would needed to have played the game of their lives to get anything out of this game. 

Edited by Scott Harris

Sh1t fans, that's what happen when they drink drink the cider from AFTV or Troopz show. Anything  bar a miracle or we play 3 Werners upfront, Arsenal would have lost. They weren't terrible, could have been a couple had they not improved since the first half. They just aren't that good a team, and their fans are too blind or too proud to see that. Their season is no longer judged by matches against the top 6 teams, but the teams in the second half of the table. Their biggest issue is spending over 100M, yet apart from Oggard none of them are top 6 team materials, and Oggard wouldnt have signed if he had a choice.

Unfortunately only caught bits of the game live but watched the entire game later. Can't complain about the score line; Good first half and should have been 3 up before the break. 2nd half not so good and allowed Arsenal back in it.  2nd game of the season so there is going to be room for improvement.  For me I would not play Azpi, Alonso and Jorghino against a side with pace in the middle and down the sides.  For the most part the Arsenal midfield ghosted past Jorgi all game, we definitely need a midfielder with legs and I'm wondering if Mount could fulfill that role?  The balls over the top of Azpi had me worried all game with Arsenal exploiting it a few times; we'll be punished against Liverpool next week if that's allowed to continue.  We all know Alonso is good at getting forward and more often than not gets caught up field and struggles to get back as he did a few times today; I'd take him out and put Chillwell in against the tougher opponents so we have some defensive cover on the LH side.   In defence, Christensen and Rudi were great, Reece was very good as was Havertz and Mount linking up with Lukaku, who was everything today that we had been lacking over the last few seasons. Earlier crosses by Reece would have netted a couple of more goals more for him I'm sure.    Tough game next week, followed by a break and 3 tough opponents again , Villa / Spurs and City..the results of these games will set the tone I think for the rest of the season.

5 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Brilliant first half. Not as good afterwards. Probably a bit lucky that pen wasn't given against James to get them back in to it, but in the end we really could have won by more.

That said, can't complain too much about beating that mob with Kante playing 20mins. That is a huge improvement over recent games against them.

I said we needed to be beating that dross to be contenders and we did. On to the next test!

I think the only thing we were lucky with was that Holding missed that sitter of a free header. Has to score that.

First half we passed well, moved the ball quickly and were clinical. 

Second half we went through the motions, got real lucky on that header and should have scored more.

Lenos save from Lukaku was outstanding, however Havertz and Ziyech had glorious opportunities and wasted them.

Glad to finally get another win over them and a good performance. Lukaku played very well, probably man of the match.