Arsenal v Chelsea (PL) Sun 22nd Aug 2021 16:30 GMT

coco

11 hours ago, TheGreatestGame said:

What's the deal with James and  Chilwell getting little to no playing time? Neither one played much during the Euros this Summer. Clearly they are better than Azpi and Alonso. Both James and Chilwell are far superior overall players, including crossing to Lukaku in the box. Why spend all testimony on Lukaku and not get him the ball? 

Calm down for a minute. It was just one game and the two offenders played great. 

Couldn’t find any other posts related so asking here, I’m going behind enemy lines on Sunday. Managed to get two tickets in Arsenal end, should be interesting… I’ve never been away to Arsenal before, can anyone suggest the name of a good pub before the game?

1 hour ago, jrshugo said:

Couldn’t find any other posts related so asking here, I’m going behind enemy lines on Sunday. Managed to get two tickets in Arsenal end, should be interesting… I’ve never been away to Arsenal before, can anyone suggest the name of a good pub before the game?

I went to Drayton Park last time I went. Google it!

Lukaku should and will start, him just being on the field will scare them. We don't want him to come as a sub to rescue us during his first time, let him start and get into the game. I could see Arsenal block us out the team we played last Saturday, but Lukaku will add another dimension to our game. Who will make way for him it's the big question.

5 hours ago, jrshugo said:

Ive heard they haven't sold out their tickets. 

How on earth can they call themselves the biggest london club if they can't sell out against us. 

I imagine you won't be the only Chelsea fan in the arsenal end 

3 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Talk of TT wanting a support forward to partner with Lukaku, is that where the back 4 comes in or do we switch to a 3-4-1-2?

Havertz, Werner, Pulisic already make the sorts of runs and plays that they should be considered 'support forwards'. Whether we are 3-atb or 4-atb, they will always be playing off Lukaku as the target man. Lukaku actually prefers to drift wide right and cut in, so rather than having two forwards either side of him, we would be looking at the forwards making runs wide left or through the centre. That suits our bunch really well.

One thing about Lukaku is that he's really improved his hold-up play outside the box and his ability to attract defenders and hang on the ball for a few extra seconds gives valuable time for the other forwards to get up in support. Werner is not that sort of striker and Abraham was inconsistent at doing it. Giroud's target-man play was excellent but his lack of speed meant he was either target-man or a body in the box, rarely both. 

The back four allows us to push another body forward to occupy a defence but it comes at a significant cost of losing that central CB position. So much defensive and possession play goes through the player in that position. Jorginho could handle the offensive side but would struggle with the defensive responsibilities, Kante vice-versa. Both would be wasted in such a position. Unless we sign a defensive midfielder, I doubt Tuchel will look to permanently move to a back four. However, it is an interesting tactical option against some sides, particularly chasing a lead against a side that sits deep.

If we sign Kounde we could play a 4-3-3 without problems because he covers a lot of ground and is very good on the ball so even if James would still learn to position himself defensively Kounde would be capable to cover for him.

Chilwell T.Silva Kounde James

and the midfield would have both Mount and Werner, the only drawback is Havertz going to the right but he is very good so it doesn't matter.

Jorginho

Kante         Mount

Havertz      Lukaku      Werner

Edited by Gol15

Don't really care how we line up or who with; if we can't beat this pathetic Arsenal side then the players and manager need their balls cut off.  Go for the jugular from the KO, press high and overwhelm them...4-0 to the team in blue and make a big statement to Utd, City and Liverpool

We should win this game no matter what players we field. It's important to have the best possible team fit and in form against Liverpool. So Lukaku should play for at least 60minutes imho and Chilwell and James should both also start. Thiago I guess could still be rested given his experience.

4 hours ago, Gol15 said:

If we sign Kounde we could play a 4-3-3 without problems because he covers a lot of ground and is very good on the ball so even if James would still learn to position himself defensively Kounde would be capable to cover for him.

Chilwell T.Silva Kounde James

and the midfield would have both Mount and Werner, the only drawback is Havertz going to the right but he is very good so it doesn't matter.

Jorginho

Kante         Mount

Havertz      Lukaku      Werner

Jorginho

Silva - Kounde

Defending counter, It will be a bloodbath. I have seen this story before and everyone will start complaining that our cb is simply noy good enough. 

Looking forward to this one. Managed to get tickets for me and my son and hoping we can avenge last season's defeat which apparently kick started their campaign only to be another false dawn for them once again. Have a feeling we will simply outclass them.

31 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Jorginho

Silva - Kounde

Defending counter, It will be a bloodbath. I have seen this story before and everyone will start complaining that our cb is simply noy good enough. 

That myth that we are conceding goals because of Jorginho was buried a long time ago... But T.Silva and Kounde would be more than good enough together, a perfect partnership and a good mix of experience and talented young blood. 

4 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

That myth that we are conceding goals because of Jorginho was buried a long time ago... But T.Silva and Kounde would be more than good enough together, a perfect partnership and a good mix of experience and talented young blood. 

I would'nt bank on getting much more out of Silva, we'll be lucky to get 20 games from him this season, probably his last at the top level.

34 minutes ago, coco said:

I would'nt bank on getting much more out of Silva, we'll be lucky to get 20 games from him this season, probably his last at the top level.

If he doesn't get injured he'll get more than 20 games, Tuchel adores him.

I personally think he may well go for

Mendy

Chalobah       Silva         Rudiger

Dave    Kante   Jorginho         Chillwell

Mount                     Havertz    

^               Lukaku            ^

Edited by terraloon

Looks like Odegaard isn't eligible to play on Sunday owing to visa issues and both of their strikers might not make it due to Covid-19 concerns...can't see why we would play 3 at the back when they are clearly going to just park the bus?

4 hours ago, doctorblue said:

Looks like Odegaard isn't eligible to play on Sunday owing to visa issues and both of their strikers might not make it due to Covid-19 concerns...can't see why we would play 3 at the back when they are clearly going to just park the bus?

How easy is it for a team to just change a formation that they are accustomed to playing in for one game?

And I am not sure I would count on them parking the bus.  If you count on that and they get really aggressive, even with backup attackers it could backfire.