Arsenal v Chelsea (PL) Sun 22nd Aug 2021 16:30 GMT

coco

On 19/08/2021 at 12:48, doctorblue said:

Time to go to a back 4 to accommodate Lukaku up front...

Mendy 

James Christensen Rudiger Chilwell

Kante Jourinho 

Pulisic Havertz Werner

Lukaku 

With Pulisic out do we bring Mount or Ziyech in?

4 hours ago, Valpo said:

How easy is it for a team to just change a formation that they are accustomed to playing in for one game?

And I am not sure I would count on them parking the bus.  If you count on that and they get really aggressive, even with backup attackers it could backfire.

They're professional footballers led by a CL winning manager...I think they'll cope...and if they don't park the bus then great, hit them on the counter with our pace...

Edited by doctorblue

13 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

What's the about a covid outbreak at the Arsenal?

We have RLC and Pulisic out with Covid, when missing for them?

Heard that their strikers tested positive and couldn't play last Saturday but Aubameyang might be back for Sunday...

Possible that kante and lukaku will feature,

I would go with the following 

mendy 

chalobah christensen rudiger 

azbi Kante jorginho alonso 

Mount 

lukaku Werner 

can’t underestimate arsenal they seem to get the better of us when they are down 

On 15/08/2021 at 03:59, Luiz4Chelsea said:

------------Lukaku------------

------Mount-----Havertz------

Alonso-Kovacic-Jorginho--Azpi

----Rüdiger--AC4--Chalobah--

------------Mendy-------------

Agree with this selection.  TT will be cautious against Arsenal, as much as I'd like to see slightly more attacking players in certain positions, including Werner, Havertz and Lukaku all playing while still including Mount.

Quietly confident but the team will have to play to its highest level to subdue them I believe. They haven’t beaten Chelsea in the league thrice since 2003-2004.  Nothing short of a point or three is acceptable imo to avoid such a reoccurrence.

Don’t be lulled into a false sense of security by the 🐝 s turning them over a week ago, they’ll be up for it just like last season. 

Come on Chelsea! 

If we play our game and match/exceed their effort, we win.  They'll be up for it, and first home game owe the fans a performance after last week.  We need to be the wall they immediately run into, and show our credentials as the "hunters" TT described earlier this week.

We maintain our level from last week, and with the inclusion of Lukaku we will win comfortably. Against the big teams, Arteta just put up a team playing like they were in the bottom half fighting for survival. They had a few successes, including the double over us last year, but ultimately it should and will backfire. We just need to treat them like one,  control the midfield, work them over and hopefully with a better finisher we will make them pay.

Not sure Arsenal will not sit back too much. They dont really have the defence to do that. Their best option would be to use Saka and Maitland Niles to run at us

2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

What goal against Arsenal was your favourite?

There were some beauties such as Essien, one of Drogba’s 1865 goals, Eden magic but absolutely nothing tops Wayne Bridge for me!!!

That goal was so special, it was the first time we had beaten Arsenal in 5 years!!!

image.jpeg.86539793da46d9727ca514111f1653fb.jpeg

If we don't pull our finger out it may be 5 years before we beat them again!

16 hours ago, Valpo said:

How easy is it for a team to just change a formation that they are accustomed to playing in for one game?

And I am not sure I would count on them parking the bus.  If you count on that and they get really aggressive, even with backup attackers it could backfire.

How many teams in pl do you know that constantly changing formation? 

Teams tweak formations all the time, depending on how the game is going. One example is the 4  3  3 quickly becomes 4 5 1  

These things are worked on the training ground and sometimes fans don’t see the subtle changes in formation.

8 hours ago, Bob stark said:

How many teams in pl do you know that constantly changing formation? 

I think most teams in the pl tweak formations all the time. Most just go 622 (bus parking) when they know they can't beat the other team. City and Pool is quite fluid

19 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

What goal against Arsenal was your favourite?

There were some beauties such as Essien, one of Drogba’s 1865 goals, Eden magic but absolutely nothing tops Wayne Bridge for me!!!

That goal was so special, it was the first time we had beaten Arsenal in 5 years!!!

image.jpeg.86539793da46d9727ca514111f1653fb.jpeg

Tammy’s winner in Boxing Day is up there for me. Last away game I went to before covid - starting with the same fixture for the first which is a weird coincidence.