Liverpool v Chelsea (PL) Sat 28th Aug 2021 17:30 GMT

coco

Regarding the referee in general as I didn't get to watch the game but got text updates. As unbiased as you can be, and forgetting the main incident aside, did he treat us differently today ?

A couple of the updates suggested leniency towards Liverpool players ?

Just to add, I think it was the correct decision and I'd expect no less if an opposition player did the same to us.

Thought we looked good until the penalty. Might even had scored a second if we were more clinical. Bit of a mess up between Alonso and Mendy in the lead up to the penalty. Reece James was unlucky to get sent off for that.

Solid performance second half. Tuchel made the right calls. Silva and Kovacic were terrific. A determined team performance all round. Everyone did their bit. Not sure Lukaku could do much more on his own upfront. Had very little support. Slightly worrying to see Kante injured again. I wonder if Chalobah is now seen as the fourth midfielder.

Overall, a well-earned point that felt like a victory.

8 minutes ago, Carloseyebrow said:

Regarding the referee in general as I didn't get to watch the game but got text updates. As unbiased as you can be, and forgetting the main incident aside, did he treat us differently today ?

Let's just say that if this had been an FA Cup Final, Liverpool would have as many as us, and Mr. Taylor would have as many as Sheffield Wednesday and West Ham.

11 minutes ago, Carloseyebrow said:

Just to add, I think it was the correct decision and I'd expect no less if an opposition player did the same to us.

I'd say the first half was rather messed up by the ref, very lenient with Liverpool but extra harsh imho with e.g. Mendy's yellow. Also made himself look like a tool running 15sec to the telly for watching a still for a sec in front of the whole world. I have no clue anymore about the official ruling but my gut tells me a pen without a red would have been sufficent.

Second half was actually quite good, ref didn't fell for a lot of stuff and even "gifted" us fouls in some situations that could have gotten very dangerous otherwise (1x Jorgi, 1x Alonso).

Gutsy performance. Some real steel after having a player sent off. We probably should have one it prior to then if Mount had squared to Havertz.

Red card for me is a farce. Hand by his side or certainly not in an unnatural position, block is made with his thigh as much as anything. I'm not even sure its a penalty.  Taylor makes a huge mistake, after looking at the footage for a second. Not quite sure how he is regarded as the best referee in England.

Edited by Spiller86

9 minutes ago, andy said:

That as well 

seems the football world has conveniently forgotten last years debate, the rule changed 

going to shut up now, I am ok with a point ………. Next   

They conveniently forgot the moment Liverpool were involved as usual. I'm also happy with a point given the circumstances.

Missed the game from midway through the first half due to the 'outlaws' coming round. Watched the entire game tonight.  As suspected Liverpool attacked our left side all game and for the most part Alonso was pants and f**ked up leading to the chaos that resulted in the penalty. Said it before, you can't play Alonso against high pressing teams or teams with pace, he's just not a capable defender.   Kante had a so so game, as did Mount Jorghino is lightweight against fast pressing teams as they smother him.  Definitely need some muscle in the middle of the park though, finesse is one thing but when we keep getting pushed off the ball its worrisome. Mendy saved our arse more than once, Kepa would have let at least 2 of those in.   Back to wall performance in the 2nd half reminds me of many of our European cup games against Barcelona. Christensen , Siva , Dave and Rudi were the standouts.  A well earned point in the end.  

Contend with the point, but should have been more, if not for the most popular man at Anfield - the referee. It's a great show of characters and fights from the team, couldn't fault anyone, even James who was desperately unlucky. It's an accidental HB, penalty is acceptable, but sent off is ridiculous. The only kind of HB deserves a red is the likes of Suraez sticks an arm out to block a shot on goal. Most of the teams would have folded, but we barely gave them a clear cut chance in the second half. I'm going to go a step too far there by saying that's the stuff of the champion, to survive and didn't let our main rivals get what they need. At HT Klopp be thinking this is easy 3 points, yet at FT he probably relieved he got a point. Unlike that game last season where we completely lost it after a man down against WBA, Tuchel made the change and we coped with the numbers brilliantly. Not sure whether whether Kante off was tactical or injury, either way Kovacic did his job, although could have done better with the late chance. That's probably the only downside is we couldn't steal one off the counter attack as they were clearly frustrated, we need that extra midfielder with a bite going forward, whether that's a new signing or one of the RLC\Barkely is for another discussion.  That Havetz goal was forgotten after HT, it's a piece of brilliance deserves another 10 replays. We did such a good job, the only positive Klopp and the media could find is the "brillance" of Elliot, provided he did Ok, if the sent off didnt happen nobody would mentioned him post match.

6 hours ago, STATS said:

Kovacic was absolutely brilliant when he came on second half. Christensen getting better and better. He was on the field from beginning so can see why pundits gave him MOTM but Kovacic done so well in keeping the ball, and his ability to play himself out of difficult situations is really underestimated. Will take that. Almost feels like 3 points.

A point for us. Plus we took two points off them. That makes three.

I missed the game as my younger had a game. I listened to the last 30 minutes on Sirius XM Soccer Channel. One of their announcers is a Spurs' fan. He said Taylor was far to lenient for the Spurs, including letting Fabhinho get away.with at least offenses which should have warranted yellow cards. Taylor also overreacted with giving Mendy a yellow card when Henderson had no business getting in his way after the PK. 

Even with 10 we still created the best chances in the second half. Lukaku very unlucky his effort was blocked.

Pretty bummed by the result. Should have won, if only Mount got his head up for Havertz tap in or Kante and Havertz played simple passes to put Lukaku in. Really poor analysis of their respective situations.

Ah well, got a couple of midtable no hopers  we need to beat before we play City.

6 hours ago, Carloseyebrow said:

He was awful. 2 players should have been booked for Liverpool early on for deliberately breaking up a promising attack of ours. Late in the first half, Salah got angry and kicked the ball away after giving away a foul and Taylor just ignored it but booked Mendy for the same thing after the penatly. Liverpool should have had at least 4 bookings today, but they didn't even get 1. We ended up with 2 and 1 red card and we didn't even make one bad foul in the whole match.

If Reece hadn't of scooped his hand up he wouldn't have been shown a red card. The ball hit his thigh and then arm initially which would have been fine.

That's a really good point considering the circumstances.

9 hours ago, andy said:

if the ball hits another part of the body then hits the arm or have then it is not hand ball - that is the rule

Is that still the case? The current IFAB handball rules don't mention it:

Handling the ball

For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit. Not every touch of a player’s hand/arm with the ball is an offence.

It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

• scores in the opponents’ goal:

• directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

• immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental

Missed the 2nd half, but checked the updates every 5 minutes. Thought we were the better team in the 1st half and should have added at least one more before their equaliser - if only Marcos Alonso had not interfered with that ball... 😞 Mendy basically had it in his hands. But a gutsy performance after the break, but seriously there is how many BIG games now since Tuchel took charge that Chelsea look like they've been playing together for decades??? At this point I feel Tuchel can be challenged in every aspect of the game and opposition managers can throw everything at him and he will find a way to beat them and do it by looking like he has got the total control. We truly got one of the finest ones in charge.

I had the chance to watch the game for 10 minutes or so. In that time Taylor made 3 mistakes. 1 major, 2 minor.

Reece James's red you can give if you are a total c**t. That is due to the after-movement of his arm. The ball was stopped by his thigh and arm but after that he still swinged his arm toward the ball although it was already stopped going in. So you can all imagine that is incredibly harsh considering all this happens in 0,001 seconds. 

Salah booted the ball after a whistle in frustration which is an automatic yellow. Not given. 

Third one was a clear foul on Jorginho. Not given. This one is 50/50 but it greatly benefited Liverpool as the ref didn't want their pressure period to end. 

Anyway might be sour grapes but the double-f**kery ended the contest. 

Taylor and the scum couldn’t break us down. One point is good knowing how much Taylor tried to give the dippers the win. That ref is a disgrace, not just because of the red card to James but because he showed a total bias and leniency towards the scum players. Can’t we ask that he never referees us again? That Fabinho did not receive a yellow in the second half is pure mafia.

Now that I've cooled off and sobered up, the result was a point gained rather than 2 dropped. 

Ref will have clangers throughout but the resoluteness of the lads gave me some confidence. Need to release the anger by tonking the next teams after this

20 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Got to admit i'd take a point right now, to early to be over confident at a packed Binfield?

I’m more than happy with a point, time is when Liverpool would of smashed 10 men, what a collective of brilliant fighting for the cause..