Chelsea v Zenit St Petersburg (CL) Tues 14th Sep KO 20:00 BST

coco

12 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Need to set down a marker ahead of facing Juve that is for sure, but also take the opportunity to offer some game time to others in need.

Kepa

Chalobah

Silva

Alonso

James

Jorginho

Saul

Chilwell

Ziyech

Lukaku

CHO

No way we play this. We rested players against villa  so we could play a strong team against zenith and Spurs. Zenith are the champions of Russia and have some good Brazilian players. We need to start the defense of our Trophy with the right attitude

Mendy

Azpi.    Christensen.  Rudiger

James.   Kovacic.    Jorginho.     Chilwell

Mount

Lukaku.          Werner

2 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

No way we play this. We rested players against villa  so we could play a strong team against zenith and Spurs. Zenith are the champions of Russia and have some good Brazilian players. We need to start the defense of our Trophy with the right attitude

Mendy

Azpi.    Christensen.  Rudiger

James.   Kovacic.    Jorginho.     Chilwell

Mount

Lukaku.          Werner

Key word you used there is attitude. With the right attitude the team I picked would beat Zenit. All depends on attitude.

Important to start with a win in the CL. 

Tuchel has made some positive rotation despite not a promising performance against Villa but we can play our top players.

I'd like to see this lineup:

---------------- Mendy ----------------

-- Azpilicueta - Christensen - Rudiger -

James --- Kovacic -- Jorginho --- Chilwell

----- Mount -------- Werner ----------

-------------- Lukaku -------------

We're coming as winners of this competition. Let's prove this for another year! COME ON CHELS!!!

8 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Key word you used there is attitude. With the right attitude the team I picked would beat Zenit. All depends on attitude.

I agree with your point about attitude but after yesterdays performance with a rotated squad but I am sure Tuchel will go with a familiar line up. Most people are under estimating Zenith because they know nothing about them but they won the Russian league last season and are top of the league this season.  They and Juve are our real threats in the group especially with the fact that we have to go to Russia in December when the temperature will probably be sub zero 

38 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

I agree with your point about attitude but after yesterdays performance with a rotated squad but I am sure Tuchel will go with a familiar line up. Most people are under estimating Zenith because they know nothing about them but they won the Russian league last season and are top of the league this season.  They and Juve are our real threats in the group especially with the fact that we have to go to Russia in December when the temperature will probably be sub zero 

Tuchel will prioritise the CL again, same as Pep, the only two managers in the league who will/can. So expect a very strong team.

7 minutes ago, coco said:

Tuchel will prioritise the CL again, same as Pep, the only two managers in the league who will/can. So expect a very strong team.

I agree but I think Tuchel should prioritise the league over everything else. If he wins the league he will probably be our greatest manager ever since he has won the UCL , Super cup and hopefully the club World cup in December. Pep needs to prioritize the UCL because it will be an asterixis on his time at City if he doesn't win it.  Thankfully we have the UCL monkey off our back, I just need the Premier League title back were it belongs

11 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

I agree but I think Tuchel should prioritise the league over everything else. If he wins the league he will probably be our greatest manager ever since he has won the UCL , Super cup and hopefully the club World cup in December. Pep needs to prioritize the UCL because it will be an asterixis on his time at City if he doesn't win it.  Thankfully we have the UCL monkey off our back, I just need the Premier League title back were it belongs

This is the difference between the fans and the clubs goals. Probably because financially its better to win the CL and finish top 4, than win the EPL and get to the QF's of the CL. When i was a kid the FA cup was more important than the league for fans, and the club because it meant bumper gates and more games resulting in more money.

Fair points, discounting Malmo as a threat then?

1 hour ago, The Don Antonio said:

To be fair here if TT delivers a second CL it would not matter if we finished 10th in the league he would still be our greatest ever manager.

20 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Need to set down a marker ahead of facing Juve that is for sure, but also take the opportunity to offer some game time to others in need.

Kepa

Chalobah

Silva

Alonso

James

Jorginho

Saul

Chilwell

Ziyech

Lukaku

CHO

Even if we are playing against a small team, we still need a cracking performance. So, our best players must play. I don't think this is time for rotation. Against small teams in the premier league, we can rotate.

This might not be as easy as it appears to be. Zenit are in great form and have literally nothing to lose here. They certainly have the ambition to get past the group stage, and considering Juventus are in a shambles at the moment, that may be achievable.

We can't allow ourselves to underestimate them. One defensive mistake and their lethal attacking duo (Azmoun - Dzyuba) could punish us. Some improvement needed over the Villa game in that area.

Mendy

Azpi       Christensen    Rudiger

James       Kovacic     Saul       Chilwell

Mount     Werner

Lukaku 

7 hours ago, wizardous said:

Mendy

Azpi       Christensen    Rudiger

James       Kovacic     Saul       Chilwell

Mount     Werner

Lukaku 

Agree about this except that I see Havertz starting over Werner ( though more of a 50/50) and Jorgi starting over Saul.

4 hours ago, weetee said:

Agree about this except that I see Havertz starting over Werner ( though more of a 50/50) and Jorgi starting over Saul.

That is what I would like to see. Werner needs to regain his confidence and this game could be a fresh start for him. Also it would be beneficial if Jorginho gets some rest but I don't really think that is going to happen.

5 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

Tuchel obviously doesn't agree with your assessment and neither do I seeing as Alonso started against Villa and was made captain..

I was terrified of Salah and TAA ripping Alonso a new one in anfield but he held his own and even offered some support to the attack regardless of being a man down

I prefer my coach making decisions based on performances in training and not reputation. Alonso has been by far our best wingback this season and I am sure Chilwell recognizes this. He will get his chance sooner or later but for now I prefer the false 3

Time will tell . To be fair Alonso had a head start due to being involved in pre season since day 1. I am fine with either player to be fair.

18:45