Chelsea v Zenit St Petersburg (CL) Tues 14th Sep KO 20:00 BST

coco

On 11/09/2021 at 18:36, The Don Antonio said:

No way we play this. We rested players against villa  so we could play a strong team against zenith and Spurs. Zenith are the champions of Russia and have some good Brazilian players. We need to start the defense of our Trophy with the right attitude

Mendy

Azpi.    Christensen.  Rudiger

James.   Kovacic.    Jorginho.     Chilwell

Mount

Lukaku.          Werner

Have considered it more and the longer gap we have to Spurs I agree with you aside from 2 selections. 

I would keep Trev in and move Dave to wingback, and start Saul with Jorgi to see how the pair works against a good, European side.

6 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Have considered it more and the longer gap we have to Spurs I agree with you aside from 2 selections. 

I would keep Trev in and move Dave to wingback, and start Saul with Jorgi to see how the pair works against a good, European side.

I honestly am undecided wether to start Kova or Saul next to Jorginho. On the one hand i feel like Kova needs protection because he played 270 mins on International duty and then played 90 on Saturday and is at risk of an overload injury but Saul is honestly one bad performance away from having his confidence shattered and the media putting unnecessary pressure on him. 

I would say start Kova then bring on Saul at half time or just start  Chalobah in midfield next to Jorginho. 

20 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

I honestly am undecided wether to start Kova or Saul next to Jorginho. On the one hand i feel like Kova needs protection because he played 270 mins on International duty and then played 90 on Saturday and is at risk of an overload injury but Saul is honestly one bad performance away from having his confidence shattered and the media putting unnecessary pressure on him. 

I would say start Kova then bring on Saul at half time or just start  Chalobah in midfield next to Jorginho. 

To be fair Saul could have a run of good games but if he followed them with another shocker like Villa his confidence would be hit.

Silva was appalling at WBA twice but came back strong twice as he had the mental toughness for it. Saul is needed here as Kova cannot be risked if he is at risk of injury. 

If Saul falters we have Barkely, RLC,James or Trev who can step in.

On 12/09/2021 at 20:28, coco said:

This is the difference between the fans and the clubs goals. Probably because financially its better to win the CL and finish top 4, than win the EPL and get to the QF's of the CL. When i was a kid the FA cup was more important than the league for fans, and the club because it meant bumper gates and more games resulting in more money.

Yes most team will probably pick winning cl over pl because of the money but it is difficult to prioritize cup competition. You can beat everyone 8-0 then you get to knockout stage, one injury to your key player, all the good work that you have done mean nothing. 

Hope we give a strong account of ourselves in our CL defence, and go as far as we can. Who knows, maybe we could achieve back-to-back trophies with a bit of luck.

I was disappointed we didn't advance beyond the group stages in 2012/13, the season after our first CL success.

2 hours ago, Jezz said:

Hope we give a strong account of ourselves in our CL defence, and go as far as we can. Who knows, maybe we could achieve back-to-back trophies with a bit of luck.

I was disappointed we didn't advance beyond the group stages in 2012/13, the season after our first CL success.

Dave was there when we faced Juve and another side from a similar area to Zenit in Shaktar. Hopefully he impresses on the group how important it is to start by beating Zenit.

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

Dave was there when we faced Juve and another side from a similar area to Zenit in Shaktar. Hopefully he impresses on the group how important it is to start by beating Zenit.

We are the only Defending UCL champions not to make it out of the group stage. I don't think Azpi will let that happen again