Spuds v Chelsea (PL) Sun 19th Sep KO 16:30 BST

coco

I think the way Spuds started caught everyone out. I expected them to park the bus, watching how they’ve played this season and having Nuno as manager. We weathered the storm well, and then just showed our class in second half. Kante was fantastic second half but what a signing Silva has been. Masterclass by both. I think this is my second Silva MOTM vote this season so far.

And totally delighted for Kepa. Strongest No2 in the League and I really don’t fear him being selected.

Edited by goose

3:0 , played without a GK ( no disrespect Kepa), bossed them into submission in the second half. The second half performance was one of the best 45 in years. Spurs took it to us in the first half, but we stood firm and took their heavy punches, Kante and Tuchel changed the game, and they had no idea how to handle us in the second half.

Superb victory.  Reality is we could have won 5-0 if not for some woeful finishing and front play.  But hard to criticize a 3-0 away win in London derby.  Effectively shut down Kane and Son, and similar to Villa game, once we rebalanced midfield, there was only one outcome.  After the first goal we were like a snake squeezing its prey.  Just dismantled Spurs.

great second half performance from the team. the personnel change was more than necessary and a big heads up to James and especially Mount if they want to stay in the starting line-up. like a poster said you don't want to be too critical after a great win like that, but some of our play when we get towards the box is sloppy. impressed with Alonso at the moment, his lack of pace is being masked excellently by TT's tactics

2 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Our front 3 are struggling right now, that include Lukaku although in general play Lukaku is simply undroppable. 

Mount, Havertz, Ziyech, werner all of them are not in good form. 

Werner hasn't played as much as the others so I'm not sure why you roped him in. Timo also came on and contributed pretty well, and provided the assist for Rudiger.

Edited by Malcolm9

I had suggested before about a midfield 3 of Kante, Kova and Jorgi. Why? Because the latter two are in brilliant form and Kante is always brilliant. In theory they should dominate every single midfield they face as nobody in world football can put out a harder working or better technical midfield than that.

Add to that that none of our wide forwards are offering more than 4 out of 10 and it opens the possibility more. Mount, Ziyech and Harvertz have had many chances and been woefully off form, bar that one amazing havertz header. Pulisic should walk back in to the side.

Ah if Werner knew how to score, what a player he would be. As a playmaker he offered more than Mount and Havertz combined did.

Most importantly TT picked our best back 3 and they made sure Kepa had little to do. I did worry that Kane shot was going to go under him. Otherwise credit to him for the one big catch and block on Son's run. Still while he is in goal the less shots on target the better.

You can see Lukaku is better at hold up play than the player that left united and less selfish too. Nice to show we can win without him scoring.

Silva and Alonso were brilliant. Well done lads 🙂

16 hours ago, Valerie said:

Three weeks :backsaway:

maybe he’ll be available for City

“We tried throughout the week and yesterday in training it was so-so. It comes from the last-minute kick against Zenit in the Champions League. It is very painful and did not feel 100% comfortable going for a full stretch or to land on it. He didn’t feel comfortable at fight at set-pieces or corners.

“So we decided to go with 100% and that was Kepa and have Edou with us to be supportive and have good energy. I’m happy Kepa a crucial role today and kept a clean sheet. This is what he deserves and I am happy that he could.”

2 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

Werner hasn't played as much as the others so I'm not sure why you roped him in. Timo also came on and contributed pretty well, and provided the assist for Rudiger.

Rudiger's movement for that goal was superb, together with Werner's pass suggests something that was practiced on the training pitch.

Alan Shearer: Chelsea’s title challenge already looks hard to stop

The Premier League title race is only just getting started, but Chelsea already look like they will be very hard to stop.

Thomas Tuchel's side look seriously impressive right now, but they have done since he took charge in January.

Even when they are not playing well or things go wrong - like it did when Reece James was sent off at Anfield last month - Chelsea still give very little away.

As they showed in their brilliant 3-0 win at Tottenham on Sunday, the Blues have an extremely strong squad and a very good manager to

Tuchel changed it up at half-time, and brought on N'Golo Kante for Mason Mount, which gave Chelsea more presence in midfield and allowed their two wing-backs, particularly Marcos Alonso, to push further forward.

There had not been much in it in the first half, but they stepped on the gas in the second half and absolutely battered Spurs.

Chelsea were so strong all over the pitch and, once they got their first goal, it was just a case of how many they would end up with. 

It could have been six or seven by the end, and would have been if not for poor finishing and some good goalkeeping.

When Spurs did threaten in the first half, both Chelsea centre-halves looked extremely solid, particularly Thiago Silva, who I thought was the man of the match. He got their first goal to start everything off, and just looked so assured in everything he did.

We are only five games into the new season but Chelsea have already gone to Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham and taken seven points from those matches.

The time they did drop points, in their draw at Liverpool, they played with 10 men for the entire second half. That shows you how strong they are mentally as well as being so well drilled defensively.

Before a ball was kicked in this campaign I picked Chelsea to be champions because I thought Romelu Lukaku would make the difference in attack after they missed too many chances last season.

Lukaku is not the only reason they are so formidable - they won the Champions League in May without him - but his arrival means they don't have a weak link in their team, and they have such strength in depth too. 

Being able to bring a player as good as Kante off the bench against Spurs was another example of that. Their manager is not only able to see where things are not working in a game, but he has the quality on the bench to change things around and make a difference.

Chelsea's next test is against Manchester City at Stamford Bridge on Saturday, but that won't faze them.

They beat City three times under Tuchel last season, including in the Champions League final. He will be ready for Pep Guardiola again, I'm sure.

Great second half performance. 

Still early days but with TT at the helm, with his exceptional game management, ANYTHING is possible. Even when we are not close to being 100%, we are VERY hard to beat.

This should silence the doubters..................!

wheres waldo 90s GIF