Chelsea v Man City (PL) Sat 25th Sep 2021 12:30 GMT

coco

24 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

I agree to an extent about the wingbacks, fact is Chillwell is more defensively sound and 100% should have started this despite Alonso great recent form and even getting the winner vs City in the league last season. The James injury cannot be underestimated since it effected the way we played. I'm sure his athleticism would have made a difference on counters and whipping in crosses. When Andreas plays on the right he doesn't offer as much attacking threat as Azpil.

These are all factors to be considered so TT cannot be completely blamed the team lacked intensity from the first whistle it's not like he wouldn't have motivated them I'm not sure why we were so bad in transition today, first touches and final balls went a miss.

Playing 3 cms and 2 strikers means that we lacked a creative force and that is reflected in the shooting stats from us. I'm sure TT had his reasons but I agree with you Ziyech or Havertz in hindsight would have been better than a trio of 6s or what I assume was supposed to be one 6 and 2 8s.

Again though despite the peppering we only lost by a deflected shot, probably should have been more but realistically that was a game we should have drew or potentially won had we created more chances

James injury should certainly effect that formation.

1 minute ago, Faisal said:

No disrespect but that type of mindset is not the type to help lift up the team. Yes we lost and have to lick our wounds but we move on hopefully we learned our lesson on not becoming to passive and complacent, onwards and upwards 

It's a worse mindset to believe that going forward will be easier. Recent history shows that it's when we think we have it easier that we end up slipping up the most. It's up to the players to show they have grown and they can go on a 6-7 game winning run. We will have to do it this season eventually if we hope to compete for the title, because you can be sure that Liverpool and City will do it.

23 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

I don't think Timo can be blamed for this result he offered a lot on the counter today if anything the team didn't supply him with any clear cut chances and the times he did get in, he put in a few dangerous balls across the goal

What is wrong with Chelsea fans? It's only Chelsea fans that have a player misfiring and they will still want the coach to be playing him. Didn't we watch the champions league final, and saw how this Werner was misfiring and it is thesame Werner that people still want us to be using. If it was Man Utd fans, if any of their players is misfiring, they won't want the coach to use him again.

On 22/09/2021 at 19:05, axman2526 said:

I think we all know what a big deal this game is. 

Liverpool and City are the bench marks, all of the last 4 titles won by them, 3 for City. We held pool with 10 men in their own back yard despite the ref being in their pocket.

Now we need to show both our metal and our quality. If we are seriously going to win the title we need to lay down a marker here.

Have to beat them and show how determined we are to be at the top. City know a draw looks great for them and the pressure is on us. I hope we show we can not only handle that, but thrive on it.

Lack of quality and no metal apart form last ditch defending. If you don't provided the basic things of desire and fight you don't beat the best sides. 

We worked our tails off and badly wanted a result at Liverpool. Today? Not at all.

4 minutes ago, hephzibah said:

What is wrong with Chelsea fans? It's only Chelsea fans that have a player misfiring and they will still want the coach to be playing him. Didn't we watch the champions league final, and saw how this Werner was misfiring and it is thesame Werner that people still want us to be using. If it was Man Utd fans, if any of their players is misfiring, they won't want the coach to use him again.

Probably because Chelsea fans are f**king brilliant people who actually support their players (continuing long after they’ve left too) and Man United fans are a bunch of fickle c**ts. 

9 minutes ago, hephzibah said:

When people are talking about service to Werner, they are talking about the service so he can help create chances for others. They weren't expecting him to score goals himself.. Our best chance of the game came from his ball across the box. That was what he was bought in to the team to do today, but the midfield and wing backs didn't offer him any support, so he couldn't do it.

28 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

No shots on target at home against anyone in unacceptable imo. To lose to a really great city aide who has won 3 of 4 titles can happen and there is no disrespect in that, but failing to get shots on target is simply not good enough.

TT got it wrong badly and the team did not bail him out. Sadly another big game where Lukaku does not dominate. City look far more hungry for another title than we do to win one today.

I agree but this isn't on the players. Tuchel thinks that he can win every game 1:0. Which team will have the better odds of creating something, a fluid attack with creative players such as KDB, Grealish, Foden that are players that make runs and tons of assists or a team with Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic that at their best have less than 5 assists per season each?

I thought that for once Tuchel will want to have an open game where his back 3 will actually influence the game but nope. Pep's team just moves around, our formation with 0 creativity can't solve that, sure Man City gets some yellow cards but this is why I was dissapointed when I saw that Hakimi was going to PSG, our current system is based on discipline and running and a good team like Man City just needs to stay calm for about 15 minutes out of 90 in order to not concede. Playing 50-50 games will look like this more often than not because as long as Lukaku is being shut down we don't have the fire power to score goals and that's disappointing.

With Kounde we could have switched to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 but Tuchel is going to die on this 3-5-2 hill no matter what happens.

No disgrace to be beaten by team like city,but it's the way we played that was the most disappointing for me.All our frailties were laid bare by a  very good team.Alonso,Jorginho,Werner,Kova and even Lulu looked lost at times.Don't forget we a had a physically weakened Kante,we also missed an on form Mount.Football has fine margins,and today we missed those things that would have caused a spark in our play.Did TT get it wrong?,why did he change the system?,maybe he thought he had to, given the fullyfit players he had available.We need attention to midfield as usual.Sorry but I have little confidence in Havertz or Ziyech who lack consistency,and Jorginho who plays well when surrounded by players who are playing well.TT may have got it wrong today,but I think the problem lies deeper.

We should all agree today that Tuchel did badly. Simple. Eventually if we won the league, that is the experience that all of us want to have. To be happy that our team is the champion of England. No one wants another team to be champions. No one wants other fans to make jest of him.

So Tuchel did badly and there is always consequences for doing badly. He should be ready for it. If he continues to do badly, There will be consequences. We saw what happened to Frank Lampard.

I expect some people to say that I am wrong for saying that. There was no reason to have Werner in the starting line up. No reason to have Alonso. Kai Havertz's creativity is very important to the team. But they don't start him. Ziyech is also needed to assist Lukaku. Instead of working on Ziyech and Havertz and making sure they play well together with Lukaku, you bench them. They can only get better when they play together. I'm not getting this at all.

1 hour ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Let's just put this to the side. No matter what Tuchel did, losing to City is a strong possibility. They are coached by the best manager ever imo. Don't worry and lets move on.

I agree, accept the best manager ever is Eddie McCreadie 

1 hour ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Let's just put this to the side. No matter what Tuchel did, losing to City is a strong possibility. They are coached by the best manager ever imo. Don't worry and lets move on.

Take away his investment and the fact that he inherited the team of Barcelona that could win regardless of who was the manager and he's not really among the top 5.

“We are two great teams with great players and great ambition. Every game is different and every competition is different. We lost our chance to get three important points. Now we have to analyse what we didn’t do that well and move on to the next game. We didn’t lose the league today. If we’d have won we wouldn’t have won the league today either.”

-César Azpilicueta

Pep had to beat TT at some point and I just had a feeling it would be today - especially once I heard Mount was out.

If not for Mendy it could have been worse, so we'll just have to take it on the chin and hope TT learns from today and bounce back stronger. Need a good performance and win against Southampton next week and City play the dippers so points will be dropped by someone.

Tuchel got it wrong today from the start. He should take the majority of the blame, but also Kovacic should be singled out.

Everyone could see Alonso was going to be a bad choice for this game, BUT no blame on him, we knew it, Tuchel should have seen that coming. Chilly should have started.

I can't blame Tuchel for going with the defensive midfield, Kante and especially Kovacic were poor today, lost count how many times he gave up the ball.

Without a very strong backline and keeper we would of lost comfortably on the scoreboard as well as the pitch.

I'm confident Tuchel will learn something from today.

The 3-5-2 didn't work today and he probably should have sticked with Harvertz or Ziyech in a 3-4-3 but that is hindsight. 

Our wingbacks weren't able to push up mostly bc we lost the midfield battle. Lukaku seemed lost too only Werner was able to do something. 

I think we should not bin the 3-5-2, for now it was the wrong game bc Man City are kinda special and had the perfect set up and performance from the players further we were on their revange list. 

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

Take away his investment and the fact that he inherited the team of Barcelona that could win regardless of who was the manager and he's not really among the top 5.

That is such a bitter comment. Just because you have the most money it doesn't guarantee anything. When he took over from Rijkaaed, Barcelona were on the wane. He brought them back up. Not many other managers would win 4 out of the last 5 prems with city in the fashion they have as Pep has done playing such attacking football. The guy is a genius.

Edited by KonaKai Blue

3 points dropped is a shame, the mental damage of being afraid of City, playing with that fear and being defeated before a ball was kicked is far more damaging. 

Would have hope the CL win would have boosted confidence. Not enough, we played with more fear than Southampton did against them last week. Am sure @Munkworth won't appreciate that lol.

3 hours ago, The Brit said:

Can’t lie, I didn’t have a problem with the team picked. But I didn’t think our midfield three would be so poor, plus our wing backs were hopeless too. It meant Werner and Lukaku had no service. Those two against city’s defence could have wreaked havoc if someone could pass the bloody football to them.

Another thing to look on the bright side, we have had a pretty brutal fixture list. Only palace at home was what you’d call an easy game, villa showing again today why they’re a good side. 
hopefully we can rediscover our mojo against the ‘lesser’ opponents coming up (without taking anything for granted). 

When has Werner wreaked havoc on any team?  Let alone that Man City defense. 

8 minutes ago, Liam said:

That was embarrassing today. I was prouder of the team in the 6-0 loss under Sarri than that capitulation. In fairness Tuchel's assessment was fairly accurate. 

Agreed you can lose games, but there are ways to lose them and we looked like a small team, with a small mentality afraid of the big bad City.

29 minutes ago, Browerkid said:

When has Werner wreaked havoc on any team?  Let alone that Man City defense. 

He wrecked havoc on them 3 times last season. His movement is so underrated. Against teams like City we need a mobile striker that can stretch their defence. Lukaku didn't really make runs but i can't blame him because our team lacked any sort of creativity 

6 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

He wrecked havoc on them 3 times last season. His movement is so underrated. Against teams like City we need a mobile striker that can stretch their defence. Lukaku didn't really make runs but i can't blame him because our team lacked any sort of creativity 

Agree, but we can blame Lukaku for his awful first touch, he has to improve that first touch it's embarrassing for him.

1 hour ago, coco said:

Tuchel got it wrong today from the start. He should take the majority of the blame, but also Kovacic should be singled out.

Everyone could see Alonso was going to be a bad choice for this game, BUT no blame on him, we knew it, Tuchel should have seen that coming. Chilly should have started.

I can't blame Tuchel for going with the defensive midfield, Kante and especially Kovacic were poor today, lost count how many times he gave up the ball.

Without a very strong backline and keeper we would of lost comfortably on the scoreboard as well as the pitch.

I'm confident Tuchel will learn something from today.

It is all about a minor tactical decision that can make or break a game like this. Today it just didn't work out. Almost everything was wrong, starting from the tactics, players selection, even the subs were strange. What was Ziyech doing on the bench when we were chasing a goal? 

What worries me is the second half. In the first half we didn't look so shaky at the back. Yes they had the possession but they looked nowhere near scoring. In the second half we allowed them 3 clear chances. When James got out they were easily creating space on that side of the pitch, literally the same thing they did on the other side where Alonso was exposed. They were tearing us apart from the flanks every single time.

But it is okay to make mistakes. It happens to the best of coaches and to the best of teams to have a bad day when nothing goes right. I wouldn't call this a 'reality check' but rather an anomaly. Tuchel has already said he is well aware of what happened today and which mistakes were made. Hopefully we can bounce back on Wednesday and then we have a good run of fixtures. 

No panic.

Still way too early in the season.

Everyone is losing points.

We've had by far the hardest fixtures so far.

Keep your faith.