Chelsea v Man City (PL) Sat 25th Sep 2021 12:30 GMT

coco

42 minutes ago, Faisal said:

So you argument is because Pep knows mason is injured we are at a disadvantage because he suspects we’ll play with a 352. If that’s the case then in 2020 every team should have found a way to beat Liverpool because they basically played the same formation throughout the entire PL campaign, yet they steamrolled everyone to win the title. 

Your analogy doesn't even come close. Liverpool were a well oiled machine and were masters of their formation. Right now we play 2 formations the 3421 and the 352. Sometimes you don't have to show all your cards. The media are all waxing lyrical about how Tuchel is a breath of fresh air and how they love his press conferences because he is so engaging and open with them. These same wolves will be sticking the knife into him when the pressure mounts because we all know it isn't always going to be rosy. 

20 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

Your analogy doesn't even come close. Liverpool were a well oiled machine and were masters of their formation. Right now we play 2 formations the 3421 and the 352. Sometimes you don't have to show all your cards. The media are all waxing lyrical about how Tuchel is a breath of fresh air and how they love his press conferences because he is so engaging and open with them. These same wolves will be sticking the knife into him when the pressure mounts because we all know it isn't always going to be rosy. 

Pep historically doesn't have the best record against us in general. 1.35 points per match in 20 games played, he has a better record against Man United and Real Madrid at this point and the one team that comes close is Liverpool that he played 7 times less (1.38ppm). Against Tuchel he won 3 times with Bayern when Tuchel was at Mainz and Borussia but that's all, 3 wins and 2 draws and now 3 loses since Tuchel has been here.

It might seem on the surface that Tuchel isn't playing any mind games, he said that it's not about him vs Pep but about their teams, he then went on saying that all 3 previous matches were 50-50.
But if Pep is also casual about this rivarly as Tuchel apparently wants it to be, we might win again. Pep commented in an interview Tuchel's tactic prior to the CL final and some hailed Pep as he seemed to have nailed Chelsea down, he "knew everything", yet when all was said and done Pep was powerless and he lost again.

Maybe, just maybe Tuchel is the type of person that Pep doesn't know how to deal with since he loves to be in this very comfortable environment as the manager and Tuchel is granting him that. "Here is my team, this is how we play, you are so great Pep I learned from you so much" - so Pep might overlook or undermine some details here and there and Tuchel can once again end up winning, all with a smile on his face. Let's hope that's the case.

1 hour ago, The Don Antonio said:

Actually it does, you implied we’re at a disadvantage because Tuchel indirectly revealed our formation to the press and Guardiola, and I gave you an example about a team that used the same formation for two seasons and almost succeeded in 2019 and succeeded in 2020. Now let’s assume you’re right and we play with two formations are you telling me pep would not be prepared for either formation. Finally regarding the press, I agree with you they’re unbearable and there main objective is only creating stories and drama. They did the same thing with pep and Klopp in there earlier seasons and the same with Jose so I have no love for the British press. 
Anyway I’m optimistic let’s hope we beat them and make a statement to the rest of the league. 

No Pulisic again - going on three weeks now. Don't have a good feeling about this. Tuchel barely mentioned his name today. Think he is  buried deep on the depth chart. Really hope Chelsea sells him. He needs to go to a place where he is going to get playing time when healthy.

Edited by USATim

6 hours ago, Valpo said:

So who starts in Mason's place?  Werner or Ziyech?  

I am thinking Werner.  

It will be a 50/50 call for Thomas but if you ask me it would be Ziyech. He was arguably our best player in pre-season and now after that injury he's surely eager to prove himself. If he starts I think that with his left foot we could cause havoc in their defence. Not to mention he already scored twice against City. 

1 hour ago, USATim said:

No Pulisic again - going on three weeks now. Don't have a good feeling about this. Tuchel barely mentioned his name today. Think he is  buried deep on the depth chart. Really hope Chelsea sells him. He needs to go to a place where he is going to get playing time when healthy.

Think you will find it was playing for the US national side thar has put him out injured this time around.

True. But three weeks on a sprained ankle is highly suspicious - kind of frees up Tuchel from having to explain why he isn't playing, now doesn't it? With Chelsea winning and playing well, don't see this changing anytime soon. Again, really hope Chelsea sells him soon as he will be buried  three to four deep when he is "finally healthy." 

Edited by USATim

7 minutes ago, Mod Stark said:

I hope so too if it stops people consistently watching his every move when he isn’t even playing.

Never has there been so much attention towards a mostly mediocre player that I’ve seen.

This is what happens when you have people follow a team because of a particular player. 

Personally don't understand it but to each their own I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

This is what happens when you have people follow a team because of a particular player. 

Personally don't understand it but to each their own I suppose. 

You really don't get why Americans would follow Chelsea because of Pulisic? Uhhhh...ok. 

Fair to say we will be the favorite going into the game based on form and points, unlike last season. Tuchel's team show up for the big games, I don't expect anything different this time. Lukaku will be heavily marked like last week and the Liverpool game, the likes of of Havetz, Mount, Werner need to take their chances. A win regardless of the score will be huge even it's only September.

1 hour ago, USATim said:

You really don't get why Americans would follow Chelsea because of Pulisic? Uhhhh...ok. 

Speak for yourself bro. I am an American and I have been supporting since 2001. Chelsea has come on many pre season tours to the States and the Chelsea fan base in America has grown exponentially. It was one of the targets of Peter Kenyon when he worked for us.

Concerning Pulisic and his lack of playing time you obviously haven't been following us this season. He started and scored in our first game of the season but got covid and missed our next 2 matches. He then went for the concacaf world cup qualifiers injured his ankle and returned on crutches. 

If he had been healthy he would definitely have been given a chance to play behind Lukaku and probably would taken it because Mount havertz and ziyech have been inconsistent this season. 

I actually feel like he is our best foil to Lukaku due to his skillset but Captain America needs to stay healthy

1 minute ago, The Don Antonio said:

Speak for yourself bro. I am an American and I have been supporting since 2001. Chelsea has come on many pre season tours to the States and the Chelsea fan base in America has grown exponentially. It was one of the targets of Peter Kenyon when he worked for us.

Concerning Pulisic and his lack of playing time you obviously haven't been following us this season. He started and scored in our first game of the season but got covid and missed our next 2 matches. He then went for the concacaf world cup qualifiers injured his ankle and returned on crutches. 

If he had been healthy he would definitely have been given a chance to play behind Lukaku and probably would taken it because Mount havertz and ziyech have been inconsistent this season. 

I actually feel like he is our best foil to Lukaku due to his skillset but Captain America needs to stay healthy

Amen to that.

37 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

I have followed Chelsea religiously for the past five years.  I have followed every step that Pulisic has made at Chelsea. He is not a favorite of Tuchel's at all. You can think Pulisic is going to be given a fair chance to play. I say he languishes in a sub role for most of the season. We will see who is correct.

Edited by USATim

24 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

A few rumours that Peps side will be:

Ederson

Walker

Stones

Diaz

Cancelo

Rodri

Gundogan

Mahrez

KDB

Grealish

Torres

I think laporte will replace stones and silva will replace gundogoan ..

I am just glad we have a coach like  Tuchel for the big games . I never worry when we play the 6 . His record in the big games for us is f**king unreal.

If we win the league this season it will be because of our performance in the games against the weaker teams because we have a tendency to drop our guard in those games. Hopefully we have lost that habit

2 minutes ago, USATim said:

I have followed Chelsea religiously for the past five years.  I have followed every step that Pulisic has made at Chelsea. He is not a favorite of Tuchel's at all. Tuchel thought so much of Pulisic he didn't even start him the first game in which Pulisic scored. He came on for an injury. You can think Pulisic is going to be given a fair chance to play. I say he languishes in a sub role for most of the season. We will see who is correct.

Let's be honest Tim the biggest thing stopping pulisic is pulisic . His injuries are the reason why he doesn't get a run of games. He has had big starts for us like the game in Real but to think that Tuchel has a bias against pulisic is absurd. If pulisic can get healthy and regain the form and consistency he had after lockdown which single handedly got us top 4 , Thomas would have no choice but to play him. 

6 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

I think laporte will replace stones and silva will replace gundogoan ..

I am just glad we have a coach like  Tuchel for the big games . I never worry when we play the 6 . His record in the big games for us is f**king unreal.

If we win the league this season it will be because of our performance in the games against the weaker teams because we have a tendency to drop our guard in those games. Hopefully we have lost that habit

Never confident when we have an early kick off. Don't have the stats to back it up but we always seem to play poor in them.

1 minute ago, axman2526 said:

Never confident when we have an early kick off. Don't have the stats to back it up but we always seem to play poor in them.

I agree but it is usually after a champions League game  on a Wednesday or against a small team were we think we will just show up and beat them but the players turn up like they just woke up 30 mins earlier.

Luckily this is a big game and we should be fresh since we made 10 changes for the league cup game.

33 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

Let's be honest Tim the biggest thing stopping pulisic is pulisic . His injuries are the reason why he doesn't get a run of games. He has had big starts for us like the game in Real but to think that Tuchel has a bias against pulisic is absurd. If pulisic can get healthy and regain the form and consistency he had after lockdown which single handedly got us top 4 , Thomas would have no choice but to play him. 

Fair enough. Let's see how this plays out.

This is a big but not vital game, either side could lose and still go on to win the premiership. Unless pep makes the same mistake as in prior games and over extends in attack, it may well be low scoring. 

With mount out most likely it’s most likely Kante, kova and Jorginho but I think there’s a case for playing Werner instead of say kova. Our attacking options limited  right now.  Werner, ziyech, cho. Pulisic is very important to the bench and will be missed.