One hard run over, now we see if we are title material

axman2526

When the fixtures came out a few said it was our hardest start to the league in a long time, possibly ever.

While it is disappointing that run of 6 ended in a loss, how many of us would have been happy before a ball was kicked with 13 points out of 18, level with United and City, 1 point off table topping Liverpool?

Hand on heart I would have been.

So 2 title contenders, 3 London Derbies and a home game against the only side to beat us under TT away all in the book. Who's is next in the league?

Saints (H)

Brentford (A)

Norwich (H)

Newcastle (A)

Burnley (H)

Leicester (A)

If we are serious about the title then that is a run of 6 games where, IF we turn up with the right attitude and desire to win the title, we really do need to claim all 18 points from. Hard working sides, some good individual quality in them too. No excuses though. If we want the title badly enough, if the players really want it, they will find a way to win these games as that is what Champions do. And we are champions of Europe, one bad game does not change that.

Next game after that is United at home, let's take some momentum in to it, hope Taylor is not the ref and smash them.

Come on Chelsea!

I am a bit more concerned after seeing how well City played against us yesterday, we were under the cosh for big parts of the game.

It is one game, many factors and I don't think we are near our best yet, its still a fresh season. It definitely won't be a walk competing at the level we are at now and will be a tough season.

The next six games look easier than the last, but these are the ones you need to win comfortably.

1 hour ago, Mod Stark said:

I am a bit more concerned after seeing how well City played against us yesterday, we were under the cosh for big parts of the game.

It is one game, many factors and I don't think we are near our best yet, its still a fresh season. It definitely won't be a walk competing at the level we are at now and will be a tough season.

The next six games look easier than the last, but these are the ones you need to win comfortably.

Exactly. It may well be decisive that, against the elite of the PL who we have 4 games against, we only have 1 point from 6 so far.

However we can certainly be in the race and keep ourselves close to the top by improving against the other 17 sides where we dropped far too many points against. We know City and pool are capable of mass winning runs burying the rest of the league sides, as title winners/contenders have to do. We will see how much we have progress, or not, in these 6 games.

I think 18 points is a big big ask in the current EPL and probably a bit unrealistic. Take this past week and our main challengers all dropped points to so called lesser teams.

City draw at home to Southampton. Man U loose at home to Villa. Liverpool draw away to Brentford.

I'd be very happy with 14+.

2 hours ago, goose said:

I think 18 points is a big big ask in the current EPL and probably a bit unrealistic. Take this past week and our main challengers all dropped points to so called lesser teams.

City draw at home to Southampton. Man U loose at home to Villa. Liverpool draw away to Brentford.

I'd be very happy with 14+.

It is but just last season City bulldozed their way to 45 points out of 45, 15 wins on the Trott. If our aim is the title, we need to be able to put on long winning runs.

I would love to see us put together a huge winning run, however, the team tends to operate in little spells of negative/positive performances. There's no consistency in them from back to front IMO. Last season we performed exceptionally in the cup competitions but were terrible in the league for reliability in performance. Winning the league this year is a huge ask; we've got this weird label of favourites from the media which I think is totally unjustifiable and that goes down to having Tuchel as manager. If we look at it logically, we've also gone from one pole to the other, from creating endless chances and missing them all, to having a composed finisher but completely lacking any creativity. You can't make it up, we've been cursed. If we finish top 3, it's a huge achievement and don't let anyone say differently. I think in terms of XI's we're 4th on the list. Each of the other teams have a couple of absolute game-changers whereas we REALISTICALLY have Lukaku. Our top performers aren't the kind who will pull an Eden Hazard solo-run out of the bag or a Fernandes rocket in to the top bin; they're workhorses who keep the ball out of our net; it's just when they do their job and the forwards don't create anything, it's tedious.

Let's just see how it goes, we have to be modest but optimistic. Hopefully not one of the lads in the changing room actually believes we're favourites though, that would be a blessing for complacency.

9 hours ago, axman2526 said:

It is but just last season City bulldozed their way to 45 points out of 45, 15 wins on the Trott. If our aim is the title, we need to be able to put on long winning runs.

Exactly this. In fact, we might even be to blame - four of the top six winning streaks in the EPL happened after Conte's Chelsea in 2016/17, all of which resulted in a title

• Man City - 18 wins - 2017/18
  • Man City  - 15 wins - 2018/19
  • Liverpool - 17 wins - 2019/20
  • Man City - 15 wins - 2020/21

Unlike the early and mid 2000s where a plucky point up north to Newcastle or Blackburn was a cause to be celebrated, it simply won't do now - we have to go there and win.

1 hour ago, coco said:

Has a team ever won a EPL title without  stringing at least six wins together ? i doubt it.

We did, actually! In 2014-15, Chelsea never managed more than 4 wins in a row, although we had two lengthy unbeaten streaks and managed to string together 3-4 wins multiple times that season.

Leicester managed just two 5-game winning streaks in 2015/16. Even so, each five-win streak was part of a larger unbeaten run consisting of at least 7 games, with an 11-game unbeaten run to finish the season. 

However it's fair to say the competition has fundamentally changed since then, with 4 teams legitimately capable of challenging for a title with extended runs. It's marathon to see whose run will last the longest.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

1 minute ago, SydneyChelsea said:

We did, actually! In 2014-15, Chelsea never managed more than 4 wins in a row, although we had two lengthy unbeaten streaks and managed to string together 3-4 wins multiple times that season.

Leicester managed just two 5-game winning streaks in 2015/16. Even so, each five-win streak was part of a larger unbeaten run consisting of at least 7 games, with an 11-game unbeaten run to finish the season. 

You got the stat job ::clap2::

2 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Exactly this. In fact, we might even be to blame - four of the top six winning streaks in the EPL happened after Conte's Chelsea in 2016/17, all of which resulted in a title

• Man City - 18 wins - 2017/18
  • Man City  - 15 wins - 2018/19
  • Liverpool - 17 wins - 2019/20
  • Man City - 15 wins - 2020/21

Unlike the early and mid 2000s where a plucky point up north to Newcastle or Blackburn was a cause to be celebrated, it simply won't do now - we have to go there and win.

Great why are we always to blame lol. 

Really impressive runs, if that is what it will take I honestly don't feel we are at that standard yet.

1 hour ago, coco said:

@Gol15 you got some serious competition buddy 😅

I agree with the OP.  If we're realistically going to stay in title contention we have to take all 18 points here.  We could MAYBE get away with one draw. 

Man City and Liverpool are just that dominate that they are not going to drop many points.  They will occasionally here and there but for the most part they are going to win the vast majority of their matches.

We have to do the same thing to keep up.  

Honestly anything more than one draw and I'm pretty sure we're going to be going from playing for the title to playing for Champion's league qualification.  

Edited by Valpo

I think we need to consider reverting to a back four against the type of opponents we have coming up.

Apart from an on form Alonso (and at a push on form Callum) we simply don't have any player that is good enough at the wingback position.

Failing to get Hakimi in is a massive miss, and failing that we should have offered Livramento the place.

On 26/09/2021 at 10:18, axman2526 said:

When the fixtures came out a few said it was our hardest start to the league in a long time, possibly ever.

While it is disappointing that run of 6 ended in a loss, how many of us would have been happy before a ball was kicked with 13 points out of 18, level with United and City, 1 point off table topping Liverpool?

Hand on heart I would have been.

So 2 title contenders, 3 London Derbies and a home game against the only side to beat us under TT away all in the book. Who's is next in the league?

Saints (H)

Brentford (A)

Norwich (H)

Newcastle (A)

Burnley (H)

Leicester (A)

If we are serious about the title then that is a run of 6 games where, IF we turn up with the right attitude and desire to win the title, we really do need to claim all 18 points from. Hard working sides, some good individual quality in them too. No excuses though. If we want the title badly enough, if the players really want it, they will find a way to win these games as that is what Champions do. And we are champions of Europe, one bad game does not change that.

Next game after that is United at home, let's take some momentum in to it, hope Taylor is not the ref and smash them.

Come on Chelsea!

When the schedule came out, I would have taken 13 out of 18 all-day, every day -- was hoping for 15/16 pts, but will take the 13. Do need 16+ for the next 6 to make a title reasonable. 

9 hours ago, coco said:

We're all locked down here in Sydney too, so it's not like I've got anywhere to be on a Monday night!

8 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Really impressive runs, if that is what it will take I honestly don't feel we are at that standard yet.

I can see us putting together a run of 14-15 games unbeaten but that's meaningless when the other title challengers are capable of putting together 15 wins. It means they have less to fear from the head-to-head match ups as the strength of their teams means they can run down challengers in the long run.

In any title-chasing season, every team expects to have one difficult run that they need to conquer, and in that context our recent run would be excellent but for the fact we have to do it all over again!

As it turns out, we have to do the entire reverse run of these fixtures after Christmas. Based on likely form (and Chelsea's historical predilection to stutter over Christmas/NY), this run is potentially harder:

Aston Villa (A)

Brighton (H)

Liverpool (H)

Man City (A)

Tottenham (H)

Brighton (A)

Arsenal (H)

Crystal Palace (A)

Leicester (H)

While the one saving grace is that the majority of the fixtures are at home, unless we fix our attacking plays every single one of those teams bar Man City will be happy to come to Stamford Bridge, sit deep and play for the draw on the counter. Neither City nor Liverpool have anything difficult in the lead up to our New Year fixtures against them, and will likely coast into them with momentum.

The run home from there is quite easy on paper with just Leeds (A) and Manchester United (A) looming, as the remaining London derbies are at home. However, again neither City nor Liverpool have much to worry about their on their run home, so there will be intense pressure on an inexperienced squad (and coach, to an extent) to pick up what should be a relatively straightforward 33 points.

I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that if Chelsea won it, it would be one of the most difficult title runs ever.

With the mentality that Tuchel brings I doubt the players and himself will be even looking past Juventus let alone the 6 games we have coming in the league. Treat every game like a cup final that's our game plan and since Tuchel has took over its worked even that game we lost this past weekend despite the onslaught was only a defeat by a slim margin.

As dull as our games can be sometimes I will always take these tight games over the wildness like Brentford vs Liverpool. I don't think I could handle that as a fan 😂 jokes aside keeping the game tight always means we have a chance to nick a win or salvage a draw. 

I have no doubt at least 1 team will go on a good run. Can you imagine how exciting it would be if for once there was at least 2 other teams that could match them....

1 hour ago, KonaKai Blue said:

For anyone saying 6 out of 6 is unrealistic, you're hope of winning the league is unrealistic with that mentality also. Winning streaks make champions.

Don’t think we are competing for the title, top 3 will be fair. Like someone pointed out taking 1pt from Liverpool & Man City shows we are still far away from bridging the gap. The game v Brentford is what interests me the most, as they have been impressive.

What worries me is that regardless of the final scores, we haven't looked particularly convincing in any of our fixtures so far this season, especially those since the international break. 

Once agian our forward players aren't looking in form with Hazertz, Mount and Ziyech all turning in pretty dire performances. 

We need those players to start showing a bit more form and taking a lot more responsibility in winning us games.  

2 hours ago, ducavis said:

Don’t think we are competing for the title, top 3 will be fair. Like someone pointed out taking 1pt from Liverpool & Man City shows we are still far away from bridging the gap. The game v Brentford is what interests me the most, as they have been impressive.

We should be competing for the title. There are zero excuses to not compete. City have no out and out striker and Liverpool lack depth. We are European Champions. 

After the Pool game people were praising how resilient and prepared this team was, and now after one lousy defeat against City we're suddenly just not ready to compete against them both.

Come on, guys... We can surely take those pts back in the reverse fixtures, especially that 1 pt against Pool in which we played 11vs10 for a whole half. Btw, the one silver lining in what Sidney had posted about fixtures after Christmas is that we get rid of Pool, City and Spurs before the knockout rounds of CL, so no resting required. 

Yes, it will take major effort to lift the title (as it always does, no matter the pts difference between teams) and our upfront players gotta step up, but I do think we'll be pushing anyone to the title.