The Poster Formerly known as Lofty

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

He was a man of many names but those of us who have been around a long time always knew him as Lofty.

As many of you know he was regularly an outspoken bugger hence the reason  his name changed a few times but he was always someone who'd lock horns with you one minute but share a laugh the next so I'm guessing he wouldn't mind me bringing you the sad news of his passing by saying 'there goes one of the most foul mouthed, occasionally cantankerous, but also loyal, caring, thoughtful  and always worth listening to old buggers amongst a crowd of us old buggers!'

And now he isn't here to call me a c**t for doing it I can reveal he was called Roger, which has a childish comedy angle he would have milked if it was my name!

Goodbye mate, it was never dull and the place is less colourful without you around. 

19 minutes ago, loz said:

He was a man of many names but those of us who have been around a long time always knew him as Lofty.

As many of you know he was regularly an outspoken bugger hence the reason  his name changed a few times but he was always someone who'd lock horns with you one minute but share a laugh the next so I'm guessing he wouldn't mind me bringing you the sad news of his passing by saying 'there goes one of the most foul mouthed, occasionally cantankerous, but also loyal, caring, thoughtful  and always worth listening to old buggers amongst a crowd of us old buggers!'

And now he isn't here to call me a c**t for doing it I can reveal he was called Roger, which has a childish comedy angle he would have milked if it was my name!

Goodbye mate, it was never dull and the place is less colourful without you around. 

Was he @Upsetter ? he recently said he had stage 4 cancer poor bloke RIP.

Thank you, Loz.  Roger/Lofty would have been tickled pink by your description of  him.  He and I have been close friends on the phone for many years now. He was a very kind and gentle person who didn't suffer fools gladly.  Bit like me really.   He died of prostate cancer which spread to his bones.  He was only in hospital for three days and fell asleep last night without waking up, which is slightly comforting.  

I am posting one of his favourite songs which will always remind me of him.

31 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Ah no, that's terribly sad. I remember Lofty very well.

Thank you for letting us know @Mod

It was Loz. I was going to tag you and the older lot in a PM earlier when Moi gave the news, but thought it best to wait for Loz to post the topic.

Its f**king sad news. Lofty was always around the place since the start. Despite the cat and mouse bans in the early days, he ALWAYS fought this forums corner!

Looking at the topic he posted just last month informing people of his illness, he saw and reacted to every reply. I think he knew we cared before his final log out!

RIP Lofty fella!

22 minutes ago, Mod said:

It was Loz. I was going to tag you and the older lot in a PM earlier when Moi gave the news, but thought it best to wait for Loz to post the topic.

Its f**king sad news. Lofty was always around the place since the start. Despite the cat and mouse bans in the early days, he ALWAYS fought this forums corner!

Looking at the topic he posted just last month informing people of his illness, he saw and reacted to every reply. I think he knew we cared before his final log out!

RIP Lofty fella!

Ah yes, sorry about the mixup.

I'm reminded of Jane now, as well. Absent friends, eh.

RIP Roger

geezer's quite right. You don't see me at football any more. And from what I hear there are all too many reasons why I might not be too eager to be a regular match-goer even if I still lived in or around London and wasn't skint most of the time.

The obvious one:

All Seater Stadiums: Last match I went to was the Charity Shield at the old Wembley, and those poxy bloody seats crippled me.

Tourists: I absolutely detest the idea of football grounds being on the same tourist agenda as West End theatres.

Silence: People being asked to keep the noise down. And in a similar vein, people being told to sit down or risk being thrown out.

Packed lunches: If Bovril and a pie/hot dog/burger isn't good enough for you - f**k off back to the ballet.

JCL's leaving early in their droves to avoid the rush: Whether they be tourists, corporate customers, glory hunters or whatever, those ignorant waste of space arseholes don't rightly belong anywhere near a football ground.

https://www.theshedend.com/topic/13164-things-you-would-never-have-seen-or-heard-at-football-20-or-30-years-ago/#comment-233756

Awful news - terribly sad. Always enjoyed his posts on his various guides - I think he was Hutch before Upsetter - but he always remained Lofty, a legend on this forum. I read his recent post about his diagnosis so was worried, but this is still a real shock. He will be sadly missed.

Condolences to his family and friends - especially moi, who was a close friend over many years.

Ah f**k... I kept meaning to reply to his thread but couldn't think of the right thing to say. Sorry I didn't say goodbye mate.

Oddly I find myself quite frequently making the point that the old thumpers were surprisingly erudite. It's always Lofty I think of when I say it.

Erudite, unapologetic, and had a truly superb taste in music. You'll be missed mate.

He was also Drake, Norman the Gambler and Tommy Docherty!  And I am going to be having some stern words with the putative diety when I meet him.

P.S. Plokkers - Lofty was 9 years younger than moi!  Does that make me an old thumper?  He was always telling me he was just a common thickie (like in Ian Dury)And I would tell him he was in fact incredibly intelligent and not to argue with me because terrible thoings happened to people who argue with teachers!

At the moment I am only coping with this by trying to concentrate on the funny things that happened.  I still can't believe I will never again  hear his voice berating somone who indubitally deserved it!

Edited by moi
to rebuke Plokkers for calling me old!

39 minutes ago, moi said:

He was also Drake, Norman the Gambler and Tommy Docherty!  And I am going to be having some stern words with the putative diety when I meet him.

P.S. Plokkers - Lofty was 9 years younger than moi!  Does that make me an old thumper?  He was always telling me he was just a common thickie (like in Ian Dury)And I would tell him he was in fact incredibly intelligent and not to argue with me because terrible thoings happened to people who argue with teachers!

At the moment I am only coping with this by trying to concentrate on the funny things that happened.  I still can't believe I will never again  hear his voice berating somone who indubitally deserved it!

@moi My apologies, anything before 1990 is old to me. I keep hearing names like Bryan Robson, Geoffrey Howe and Kerry Dixon and can only assume they are auld mythical characters. (Iliad?)

P.S. 'Norman the Gambler' is further evidence of his fantastic music taste.

P.P.S. "Diety"?? If I had written that I would expect a scolding.

Edited by PloKoon13

Very sad news. I didn't know he was Upsetter though I do know I upset him a few times over the years. In those days however if you had a run in on the forum you would tell each other to f**k off and then move on. The post that @Scott put in above was typical - passionate and witty.

A true blue. May he rest in peace.

On 09/12/2022 at 18:24, loz said:

Such a shame, I remember him well. RIP Roger x