Enrique or Nagelsmann?

dansubrosa
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Enrique or Nagelsmann?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Enrique
    • Nagelsmann

I prefer Enrique but the squad is 100% equipped for Nagelsmann. 

Regarding Chilwell and James, I prefer them as wingbacks vs fullbacks. I never rated Chilwell in the 1st phase of the build up (actually rate Cucurella higher there) and James doesn't have the durability to be running up and down the pitch. His influence is greatest in the opposition end. There is then Gusto who is very much like them where he thrives further down the pitch. 

We then have 3 very talented CBs which would be an utter crime to not utilize them simultaneously.  Fofana/Badiashile/Colwill

Enzo looks tailor made in this system, and along side Kante we could genuinely see some security. Add Kova, Santos, and another CM.

Our attackers are much better when they are closer together to link up vs in a back 4 when the wingers are coached to hug the touchline. There is then Nkunku who Nagelsmann has already brought the best out of.

If both Havertz and Mount get sold there will be more opportunity for tactical flexibility and expansion which would include the likes of Mudryk and Madueke. 

Edited by Sconnie Blue

In the original thread I voted Enrique, over the past week I've started to drift more towards Nagelsmann. I remain positive that as long as its one of these two men we are probably in safe hands in the long term. I wouldn't mind Pochettino as 3rd choice but I think the other two are 'bigger names'. 

If we approach the debate purely from an objective perspective based on where we are as a club right now Nagelsmann is probably the best appointment for us. The squad makeup is built more towards his style he will be a lot more flexible in his lineups and formation.

Enrique wants 433 tiki taka prime continental football which I used to dream of at the bridge.

The problem is it will require a much bigger turnover in squad players than Nagelsmann who you would assume would pick up the 3atb system and tweak us slightly to his liking. 

Fofana, Chalobah, Silva, James, Chilwell and even Koulibaly to an extent all look better in the 3atb system. Attackers or hybrid midfielder forwards like Mount and Havertz also look much better there. It will suit the incoming Nkunku who Nagelsmann has worked with and that could be a huge factor in his potential successful integration. 

Nagelsmann is rumoured to just want a DM, CF and a GK potentially, if these reports are to be believed this shouldn't be too much hassle. Whereas Enrique wants new wingers, a DM, a mobile CF and a GK too. With the outlay on wide attackers already above £150m from our first two windows under Boehly I find it unlikely they sanction more wingers. 

Both coaches represent good opportunities, Enrique I just worry may have us playing false 9, which used to be the most exciting thing in world football, but right now I think I speak for most Chelsea fans when I say we just want a proper number 9 who will stick the ball in the back of the net.

Whether reports are to be believed or not Enrique could have come in right away, whereas Nagelsmann will wait til the summer. Interesting we have decided to wait until the summer too, could be a more through vetting process. Could be the excuse until Nagelsmann is ready.

My biggest fear is Madrid come calling, I think he would turn PSG down for us genuinely because that's not a long-term project which allows coaches like him to truly flourish. The Madrid job however may prove too tempting. That being said its been reported Nagelsmann wants his next job to be in the prem, so either we need Spurs to bottle top 4 or hope our RB Leipzig connections plus our elite (former) stature enough to convince him of our appeal over Spurs.

As BILD learned, Nagelsmann should now have the opportunity to introduce himself personally to the bosses and present his ideas. Just over a week ago, Luis Enrique (52/formerly Barcelona and Spanish national team) also got this chance. The Spaniard is said to have made a good impression, with some media already speculating about an imminent agreement. So far, however, this has not happened. Because the bosses want to get to know Nagelsmann first?

He would not be completely unknown at Chelsea anyway! At the end of last year, Christopher Vivell (36) joined the Londoners as Technical Director. Vivell was previously a squad planner at RB Leipzig. From 2020 to 2021 he worked there together with Nagelsmann (from 2019 to 2021 coach at RB), before that they were colleagues in Hoffenheim (from 2015 to 2020).

Nagelsmann was linked with Tottenham immediately after his departure, but quickly turned down the job. He should favor getting a little break, also to be able to reflect on his two Bayern seasons and to recharge his batteries. He would therefore prefer not to take on a new job until the summer. Chelsea could accommodate him. Because Lampard can continue until the end of the season.

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/bayern-muenchen/julian-nagelsmann-chelsea-laedt-ex-bayern-trainer-zum-bewerbungsgespraech-83540504.bild.html?t_ref=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.talkchelsea.net%2F

9 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Nagelsmann is the right choice for a long term project. Enrique wouldn't last much.

And how long did Nagelsmann last at Bayern? The last thing Chelsea needs is another hot headed youngster who will fall out quickly with the players. Enrique will command a lot more respect with the dressing room and will crack the whip if they fall out of line. 

17 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

It's what we already knew but reinforces the validity of this thread. Unless someone comes from left field, realistically we're looking at one of these two gentleman to lead us into our next era.

They’re the best on the market imo. Both are league winners and one has won the champions league. They are the type of managers we’d hire under Roman.

Edited by Frankie8Lampard

I wouldn't be against Enrique being our next manager but I do have concerns that he's basically achieved nothing outside of Barcelona where he had arguably the best midfield of all time with Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets and best attack of all time with Neymar, Suarez and Messi playing together. If you're a coach and don't succeed with that team you're probably better off finding a new career.

1 minute ago, timetowaste said:

I wouldn't be against Enrique being our next manager but I do have concerns that he's basically achieved nothing outside of Barcelona where he had arguably the best midfield of all time with Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets and best attack of all time with Neymar, Suarez and Messi playing together. If you're a coach and don't succeed with that team you're probably better off finding a new career.

Tbf he took Celta in Spain from 17th to 9th I believe, with a 12 point swing. I think that's fairly respectable. Aside from that he only spent one season at Roma and it wasn't the best.

I feel like I get where you're coming from, but maybe we should embrace the fact that he's attempted to manage smaller teams compared to say Pep. Managers like these two you would assume need a certain calibre of player to play their specific style whilst achieving the level of success they have gained throughout their career.

I do think your concerns are valid though that outside of Barca in which he had a ridiculously talented squad he hasn't done too much, but due to his relative small sample size of I believe 3 clubs (not including his stint at Barcelona b) I think that probably plays a factor as well.

1 hour ago, Edjmendy said:

And how long did Nagelsmann last at Bayern? The last thing Chelsea needs is another hot headed youngster who will fall out quickly with the players. Enrique will command a lot more respect with the dressing room and will crack the whip if they fall out of line. 

We're not Bayern though, we're like this totally new club with new people that want to find a person for a long-term project. Mourinho has always been a bit arrogant and hot-headed and when he came from Porto after a couple of seasons, it really was a perfect fit.

Luis Enrique hasn't been involved in club football in 5 years.

Both of them would offer me a bit of hope, and hope is what I am desperate for. On the other hand, both have flaws. There is no obvious option on the market now, so I don’t know. The more I think about it, the more I come to realize that any new manager will have a very very difficult mission.

Edited by Raskolnikov

Nagelsmann is the German Potter, in that he adopts a similar style of possession play and changes his ideas, and like Potter, his personality is someone who wants to be ‘friendly’ and Mr nice guy with everyone as reported from Bayern insiders. 

Enrique leans towards a compact squad with a fixed first 11, he’d have players with clear outlined roles benefitting from the consistency of those around them (great coach for the impending fire sale); he only messed around a bit at Spain due to the transitional period they’re in as a national team. Enrique would utilise our big assets down to the ground, like Mudryk, as he needs to be a touchline winger in a 433, there is no other way he can play.

Like with Sarri, I’m convinced we would see his ideas implemented almost instantly in terms of sequences of play. We lack identity (Nagelsmann likes to tinker), Enrique has the nous to implement discernible patterns of play from the offset, he’s an elite coach but with an imperfect CV, of which doesn’t tell the whole story, the time spent outside club football can only add to his hunger and ambition… Nagelsmann is a wounded animal right now. 

You can see why the board need time to think this one over as the market has arguably never been worse for managers, or at least ‘clear’ in regards to absolute standouts; the waters are muddy.. question marks over everyone. We definitely need to forget about this whole ‘Project’ manger thing though, especially as UCL football will be ‘do or die’ financially next season.

I'm not sure about either, but if I had to pick, then I would go with Enrique. I just don't think now is the time for Nagelsmann, he's too young and I am not sure he is the manager to snap us out of this mess. Enrique has been at the top level for a while now, I would like to think that he could at least steady us and not let us turn into a disaster that we can't return from.

4 hours ago, Term_X said:

Nagelsmann is the German Potter, in that he adopts a similar style of possession play and changes his ideas, and like Potter, his personality is someone who wants to be ‘friendly’ and Mr nice guy with everyone as reported from Bayern insiders. 

Enrique leans towards a compact squad with a fixed first 11, he’d have players with clear outlined roles benefitting from the consistency of those around them (great coach for the impending fire sale); he only messed around a bit at Spain due to the transitional period they’re in as a national team. Enrique would utilise our big assets down to the ground, like Mudryk, as he needs to be a touchline winger in a 433, there is no other way he can play.

Like with Sarri, I’m convinced we would see his ideas implemented almost instantly in terms of sequences of play. We lack identity (Nagelsmann likes to tinker), Enrique has the nous to implement discernible patterns of play from the offset, he’s an elite coach but with an imperfect CV, of which doesn’t tell the whole story, the time spent outside club football can only add to his hunger and ambition… Nagelsmann is a wounded animal right now. 

You can see why the board need time to think this one over as the market has arguably never been worse for managers, or at least ‘clear’ in regards to absolute standouts; the waters are muddy.. question marks over everyone. We definitely need to forget about this whole ‘Project’ manger thing though, especially as UCL football will be ‘do or die’ financially next season.

Not sure I agree with the first two lines, Nagelsmann's style of football is far from possession. He is very much a manager that lives off the "high press" game similar to Klopp's Dortmund and Liverpool. And I've never heard anything about him being a 'nice guy', the man literally trashed another team in a press conference. Every time people criticize Nagelsmann they call him the German Potter and I fail to see any comparisons or evidence.

Enrique is more experienced, achieved more, handled large egos/names, plays an expressive and entertaining style of football. He is also, from reports I've read, eager to join us. For me it's a no brainer. Give Enrique the job, give him time, get him the players he needs (within reason) and let him build something here. City gave Pep time, this is what we would have to do with someone like Enrique. I do believe the owners will give time to the right man. I think they would have learned a hard lesson this season and they will focus on building a foundation with the right man in charge. 

Edited by enigma

4 hours ago, enigma said:

Enrique is more experienced, achieved more, handled large egos/names, plays an expressive and entertaining style of football. He is also, from reports I've read, eager to join us. For me it's a no brainer. Give Enrique the job, give him time, get him the players he needs (within reason) and let him build something here. City gave Pep time, this is what we would have to do with someone like Enrique. I do believe the owners will give time to the right man. I think they would have learned a hard lesson this season and they will focus on building a foundation with the right man in charge. 

Issue with Enrique is that the team is currently ready made for Nagelsmann. (Wingbacks, attacking mids/CFs, no traditional DMs,). Enrique would likely need a good overhaul to establish the team to his image. Players like Chilwell and Nkunku I struggle to see where they will fit also. 

It's by no means an easy decision which is why I feel a little more comfortable it isn't being rushed. Both have their positives and I will ultimately respect who they bring in after a lot of forethought.