Jump to content

Will we, or any team, ever be able to overthrow Guardiola's City?


Drogba1
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Recommended Posts

They look unstoppable at the moment. It feels like we're heading into an era similar to Fergie's United, except City are far more dominant. They're most likely on course for their 5th title in 6 years.

 

The worst part is Guardiola seems to be getting even better as a manager. Looking at the Bayern City games, they look far better set up tactically than they did against us in 2021.

 

They have unlimited resources, spend those resources very well (Haaland for 60m is a steal), and have the best manager in the world to set them up. Aside from the odd bad season, can they actually be stopped?

 

It used to be 85 points would usually guarantee a title, yet they've broken 90 3 times already, and will most likely do it again this season.

 

In contrast, we have less spending power (especially if Todd's ruined our finances), spend terribly, and coaches that can compete with Pep are few and far between. The chances of us winning another title are pretty much impossible when you really look at it.

 

The only teams that can really match City's spending are Newcastle and Man United. United's recruitment is generally terrible as well, so the team most likely to compete in the long run are Newcastle. 

 

As for us, do we just have to settle for being a top 4 team from now on, even with a new coach? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Much like United in the 90s where they benefited in winning at the right time (TV revenue/sponsors) they are just too far ahead in terms of operations. They’ve perfected almost everything. Aside the fraudulent activity, efficient planning has got them to where they are, which has resulted in a lot of things falling in their favor. Haaland signing a prime example. 

It will take either Pep leaving or the Premier League punishing City. Which ever comes first. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Drogba1 said:

They look unstoppable at the moment. It feels like we're heading into an era similar to Fergie's United, except City are far more dominant. They're most likely on course for their 5th title in 6 years.

 

The worst part is Guardiola seems to be getting even better as a manager. Looking at the Bayern City games, they look far better set up tactically than they did against us in 2021.

 

They have unlimited resources, spend those resources very well (Haaland for 60m is a steal), and have the best manager in the world to set them up. Aside from the odd bad season, can they actually be stopped?

 

It used to be 85 points would usually guarantee a title, yet they've broken 90 3 times already, and will most likely do it again this season.

 

In contrast, we have less spending power (especially if Todd's ruined our finances), spend terribly, and coaches that can compete with Pep are few and far between. The chances of us winning another title are pretty much impossible when you really look at it.

 

The only teams that can really match City's spending are Newcastle and Man United. United's recruitment is generally terrible as well, so the team most likely to compete in the long run are Newcastle. 

 

As for us, do we just have to settle for being a top 4 team from now on, even with a new coach? 

Hang on Drogba. As you and others said, Bayern are absolutely nailed on to win the CL now that Tuchel is manager.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



2 minutes ago, just said:

Hang on Drogba. As you and others said, Bayern are absolutely nailed on to win the CL now that Tuchel is manager.

 

Turns out I was wrong.

 

The fact still remains though, that Tuchel is an infintely better manager than Potter, and that managerial switch was one of the stupidest decisions we have ever made as a club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The trick is to formulate a system that matches their consistency and catch them in a period of relative transition, which there will be a few given how Pep changes things about, the City of 2018 and now are totally different teams.

Liverpool got them in a period of crossroads and Arsenal still may take advantage of a period they were trying to adjust to Haaland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Yes, because as much as people hate the guy here, Guardiola is what makes City "work" and he, by his own admission, has a limited shelf life there. For all the money they have spent and the infrastructure they have developed, they have also been fortunate to have taken advantage of historically weak rivals and been a non-factor in the Champions League until very recently.

Guardiola has repeatedly said that he will not renew his contract at City after it runs down, so there is a hard time limit on their current success. Given there are a bunch of big clubs going through instability right now, it also means City's eventual replacement will come from slim pickings, most likely a hope that Arteta or Kompany can take over. 

Despite the media hype, Man City's season is precariouisly poised. They are two bad games (CL SF and Arsenal match) away from having a disaster of season. Guardiola doesn't have another European heartbreak in him after 2021, and I'm almost certain he'll walk away early if City fail this season.

The problem for other clubs is actually that Chelsea have set a much higher standard for winning the league, and created a template that City and Liverpool improved upon. Whereas Conte's Chelsea were lauded for our 13 game winning streak as being unprecedented, every title winner since then has managed a 15+ game winning streak - this season being an exception. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, although they are in great form right now, City's season be ended up being nothing if they failed to beat Arsenal to the league, and winning the CL. Another FA cup does nothing for Pep and City. Having Haland gives them a huge boost in CL, if it doesn't happy this season Pep will get lots of heat, rightly or wrongly. I think he paced the season by saving players for the last couple of months of the season, usually his team be a couple of points clear at the top comes April. Once Pep leaves, whoever comes in will have a tough team to match that standard, and Pep may even pick his successor like Fergie did.

It will take us at least couple of years to be around their level, and that's being optimistic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things are going to go in cycles .. always have done always will. 

They will struggle to replace De Bruyne when he is done (he's already 31 now), and probably only got 5 years max of Haaland before he decides he wants a fresh challenge at Real Madrid. That's an awful lot of goals and assists to try and replace, and both players are kind of unique in world football at the moment. Mahrez is also 32 as well, so his output (12 goals 8 assists this season so far) will also need replacing at some point soon.

And who knows what will happen if they are found guilt of financial misconduct ? or if Pep leaves ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites



City have lost 4 and drawn 4 in the league this season so I would not say they are omnipotent though definitely in a good place right now.

There does not seem to be a challenger next season unless Arsenal can maintain or improve their game rather than it being a one-off.

I think they will be ok without De Bruyne when that time comes as long as they keep a number of others that can play. I notice that both Mahrez and Grealish have delivered for them at times this season. Even Ake seems to have nailed down a starting place.  This might be the Pep coaching effect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Things are going to go in cycles .. always have done always will. 

They will struggle to replace De Bruyne when he is done (he's already 31 now), and probably only got 5 years max of Haaland before he decides he wants a fresh challenge at Real Madrid. That's an awful lot of goals and assists to try and replace, and both players are kind of unique in world football at the moment. Mahrez is also 32 as well, so his output (12 goals 8 assists this season so far) will also need replacing at some point soon.

And who knows what will happen if they are found guilt of financial misconduct ? or if Pep leaves ?

So true that these things go in cycles. Man Utd had their time of success in the Fergie era and Arsenal with Wenger. Then we have had a decent run during the Abramovic era and should have won more trophies but for some poor decisions from the board and the continual conveyor belt of managers. 

With City it is all about Pep. There is talk that if he pulls off the treble this season, he may see that as job done and look for a fresh challenge and is known to want to coach an international side (possibly Brazil). He's been at City coming up 7 years now which is a long time in modern football. Even if he does stay on, I can't see it being for much longer and he will be one hell of a hard act to follow, with huge pressure on the next man - just as they found out at Utd following Fergie.

As much as I hate the gooners, fair play to them for making a decent go of it this season as there is nothing so damaging to football as a one team league. The sooner we can sort out our problems and get back up there, the better, but so much will depend on the next appointment and how strong he is at dealing with a load of highly paid prima donna's and getting that squad down to something more manageable and move on the deadwood. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



22 hours ago, just said:

Hang on Drogba. As you and others said, Bayern are absolutely nailed on to win the CL now that Tuchel is manager.

 

Surprisedly they are in a mess at the moment with Kahn supposedly about to be let go. I only had a look on their forums to see what they think of Tuchel but they’re angry with the board more than anything. Seems like they’re in a similar situation as us, terrible board and no striker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

City were going nowhere before their UAE owners took over and pumped money into the club (a bit like us with Roman, tbh, although were going through quite an exciting and positive period before he took over). There's a similar process happening at Newcastle with their Saudi owners. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually overtake City if they can use the cash well and continue to improve, possibly combined with City eventually parting ways with Pep and declining. Fortunes come and go. When I was a kid, Liverpool were the dominant force, then it become Man Utd. That's why I grew up in SE England surrounded by so many Man Utd and Liverpool supporting twats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



As others have mentioned, football goes in cycles. A couple of decades ago we were in a similar position as them when Mourinho won us back-to-back titles. Everyone thought this was the beginning of a dominance from us and no one would ever be able to catch us. United ended up winning the next PL title and over the next few years, it went back and forth between us and them before City came into the picture. There are a lot of clubs that could potentially come into the picture over the next five years so yeah I think they can be overthrown. Whether we can do it really comes down to our next manager appointment and which players we sell and bring in this summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, Break Out The FM2023 Or FIFA Career Mode Stick It On Easy And Watch Us Breeze Past City

Of Course Not, Well Not Currently Or Next Few Seasons, We Need To Go In A New Direction, Someone With A Plan That'll Stop Todd N All Making These Decisions On Transfers

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Haaland cost way more than 60m. 

It is possible as Pool has overthrown city and went toe to toe with City for many years. 

But as long as city owner kept pumping the money in, they will always be one of the best team. Their transfer so far has been riddiculously spot on. Spent big on big gun, spent little on supporting player. 

The funny part about pep is that most people think Pep is  about all fluid offensive football whereas he is always been very pragmatic/defensive in his approach. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/04/2023 at 08:28, SydneyChelsea said:

Yes, because as much as people hate the guy here, Guardiola is what makes City "work" and he, by his own admission, has a limited shelf life there. For all the money they have spent and the infrastructure they have developed, they have also been fortunate to have taken advantage of historically weak rivals and been a non-factor in the Champions League until very recently.

Guardiola has repeatedly said that he will not renew his contract at City after it runs down, so there is a hard time limit on their current success. Given there are a bunch of big clubs going through instability right now, it also means City's eventual replacement will come from slim pickings, most likely a hope that Arteta or Kompany can take over. 

Despite the media hype, Man City's season is precariouisly poised. They are two bad games (CL SF and Arsenal match) away from having a disaster of season. Guardiola doesn't have another European heartbreak in him after 2021, and I'm almost certain he'll walk away early if City fail this season.

The problem for other clubs is actually that Chelsea have set a much higher standard for winning the league, and created a template that City and Liverpool improved upon. Whereas Conte's Chelsea were lauded for our 13 game winning streak as being unprecedented, every title winner since then has managed a 15+ game winning streak - this season being an exception. 

I don't think they have a disaster season. In fact it kinda went the way most people expected. 

They signed a big player who doesn't fit the way they played last year hence there was adaptation period. You can see pep tinkered his team slowly to find the best solution (kinda similar to last season though, pep said he wanted his team to play slower, this season it is the other way around) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


17 hours ago, coco said:

Yeah of course it's possible to overthrow them, history books show us it happens to the best, and we should know, the same thing was said in 03/04 about Arsenal Invincibles, so in 04/05 we went and found the right manager and brought in a dozen new players, and we overthrew them, and some.

 

We tried that again recently, didn’t quite work out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/04/2023 at 22:20, just said:

Hang on Drogba. As you and others said, Bayern are absolutely nailed on to win the CL now that Tuchel is manager.

 

He`s done a great job at Munich so far, just took them out of 2 of the 3 trophies they were in for. Genius.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...
Please Sign In or Sign Up

Well, this is awkward!

Happy Sunny Days GIF by Atlassian

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to show these to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum running. Over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off and whitelisting the website? Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interference with your experience on The Shed End.

If you don't want to view any adverts while logged in and using your account, consider using the Ad-Free Subscription which is renewable every year. To buy a subscription, log in to your account and click the link under the Newbies forum on the home page.

Cheers now!

Sure, let me in!