Internet browser

This javascript warning came up when I went to http://asafecenter.com/

W32.Myzor.FK@yf is a virus that infects files with .exe extensions. It attempts to steal passwords

and private information from the infected computer.

Type: Virus

Infection Length: 138,293 bytes

Systems Affected: Windows 95, 98, ME, NT (all versions), 2003, Windows XP (all service packs)

Systems Not Affected: DOS, EPOC, Linux, Macintosh, Novell Netware, OS/2, UNIX

Technical details: 1. Creates files in %Windir% directory. By default, this is C:Windows.

2. Adds values to registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MNACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun

3. Scans the hard drive for .exe files and infects any executable files.

Searches for passwords/information, which it may send to a remote attacker.

Recomendations: Click "OK" to download officially approved security software.

Always keep your patch levels up-to-date.

Followed by an alert from my anti virus programme. Obviously I didn't download anything. I think you need to improve your security setup after a thorough cleanout.

I currently use this anti-virus

http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivi ... /index.adp?

it's a free version of Kaspersky provided by Aol, but don't let that put you off.

I Sygate Pro firewall, still there best there is but doesn't work with Vista and a couple of free spyware apps, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster, and Tauscan trojan scanner. I also turn off all of the unnecessary and sometimes dangerous XP Services every time I set up a system. This is what nobody tells you - Microsoft turn on all sorts of rubbish by default, many of which are potential security holes. Not that my way of doing things is foolproof - there's no such thing, but I'd feel fairly confident in saying that my machine is more secure than yours.

Archived