Graham "3 Cards" Poll has another go at JT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Notice yet another idiot comment from yet another idiot Scouse git.

I think Poll would have voted for Stevie as a first choice without hesistation

I'm sure he would. Once he'd managed to remove his tongue from Saint Stevie's arse.

Guest Brian M
Anyone know where I can hire someone who breaks legs for money? icon_rolleyes.gif

http://mafia.cheats4us.org/faq.php icon_wink.gif

PS:

We all know that Jose Mourinho's a brilliant coach and leader, but as a human being . . .

Britain's former top referee Graham Poll tells his own story

With his abilities as a motivator, organiser and tactician, Jose Mourinho does not need to target referees - to use them as a diversion when his team does not win and to put them under pressure to try to affect their decision-making.

He had some success doing just that when he was working in Portugal - so he imported the tactic with him to England.

I also believe, fervently, that he made Chelsea players think it was acceptable - desirable even - to blame referees for their own failings. Jose Mario dos Santos Mourinho Felix is a truly great coach but, as a human being, his methods are open to question.

I haven't always thought that. Three summers ago I was invited along to Chelsea's training ground to brief the players about changes in the laws of the game and some new interpretations.

Mourinho welcomed me into his office and we talked about the two European ties I had refereed when he was coach of FC Porto in Portugal.

He said: "I want you to tell us what we need to do and how we can get through the season without upsetting referees."

Mourinho even brought forward the players' meeting as I had a flight to catch to Switzerland and said: "Chelsea want to be the best so we wanted the best referee here."

It went very well, I thought, but in December 2004 at a fixture between Chelsea and Arsenal, Mourinho ceased to think I was "the best referee" and my opinion of him changed.

Thierry Henry scored direct from a quickly-taken free kick and Chelsea went potty.

"In pre-season, we had a top referee at our training ground who showed us all the rules. So I have no doubts about it. One of the things he explained to us was walls, distance, whistle - everything was clear."

Mourinho did not bother to tell anyone that the "top referee" who had explained the laws to Chelsea was Mr Poll.

If he honestly thought I had talked about "walls, distance, whistle" at that briefing, then he was not listening.

I did not deal with the subject of taking free-kicks because nothing had changed and I was only dealing with new laws and new interpretations.

Mourinho's version suited his message, but it was not accurate.

As my friend, the Swedish referee Anders Frisk, was soon to discover, it was not the last time Mourinho's version failed to tally with the facts.

Anders sent off Chelsea's Didier Drogba in the second half of a Champions League match against Barcelona at the Nou Camp.

Afterwards, Mourinho claimed that he had seen Barca coach Frank Rijkaard enter the referee's room at half-time.

The irrefutable truth is that Rijkaard did not enter the ref's room. We know that for certain because Pascal Fratellia, of UEFA, was in the room with Anders. But Mourinho had a version which suited his purposes.

The next time I saw Chelsea's indiscipline at first hand was at Tottenham in November 2006. I had already been told to "f*** off" by Ashley Cole for asking him to retreat 10 yards at a free-kick and had booked John Terry.

Then, at a corner, Terry grappled with Ledley King; I called him over, showed him the yellow and then the red card and he left the field without a mutter of complaint.

No other Chelsea players protested - although they had complained about nearly every other decision throughout the game and Cole swore at me again as we left the field.

A bizarre exchange followed with Terry in the officials' changing room. Terry said: "I need to know why you sent me off."

In theory, he was not meant to be in my room. Only managers were permitted to go to the referee's room and then only 30 minutes after the game. But I like to sort things out face-to-face and I had got on well enough with Terry for several years.

So I said: "You had already been cautioned and then, in my view, you grabbed Ledley King and pulled him to the floor in an aggressive fashion."

He said: "Oh. It wasn't a straight red then."

I confirmed: "No, John. It was a second yellow card."

"Fine - that's fine then," said Terry. He left, looking relieved.

I did not have an inkling that a firestorm of controversy was about to erupt, when Chelsea attacked me from three directions.

First - and I probably should have seen this one coming - Mourinho purported to be mystified by Terry's sending-off.

Then Cole made a much more damaging allegation about me. He said I had told Chelsea: "You need to be taught a lesson."

He said that Frank Lampard had told him I'd said that. The implication was that I was deliberately harsh on Chelsea.

There was only one problem with that theory. I had not said anything about teaching Chelsea a lesson.

I'd said to Lampard: "Your team are losing their discipline. You need to get it sorted out or I will have to."

There is a profound difference between what I said and how Cole reported Lampard's version of what I'd said.

I had urged Lampard to calm down his team-mates. I'd not implied some sort of vendetta on my part.

Then came attack No 3, launched by Terry himself in an interview with Chelsea's own television channel, where he made the clear and utterly unfounded allegation that I had changed my story and had produced a deliberately falsified account of his red card.

Perhaps Cole and Terry had simply forgotten that all the match officials were wearing microphones and earpieces throughout the game. Doh!

I was outraged by Cole and Terry's accusations, appalled that newspapers took them at face value and devastated that the FA investigated me!

Finally, 25 days after the Spurs-Chelsea game, the FA published a statement on their website.

It said that John Terry had been charged with improper conduct for making his allegation that I had changed my story about his sending-off.

Although Chelsea indicated that Terry would request a personal hearing - more than two months after the match - he contacted the FA to admit the charge.

The England captain's admission was an acceptance that his version was inaccurate.

The next day the FA held their hearing, using only written submissions. Terry was fined ?10,000 - about a morning's wages. That was telling him!

The FA issued this unprecedented statement: "We were extremely disappointed the integrity of Poll was questioned.

We note the late admission to the charge and the excellent previous disciplinary record of John Terry. But we are also disappointed that no public apology had been forthcoming for his admitted improper conduct."

It was a limp, puny condemnation. But it was still a condemnation of the England captain by the FA.

Terry did not apologise for his account, even though it questioned the integrity of a referee and added to the corrosive criticism of officials which erodes the entire game.

David Beckham, Terry's predecessor as England captain, demonstrated privately to me that he is a decent, caring human being by sending me a message of support at the World Cup. He behaved as I think an England captain should.

Terry had his version of events proven false and then was not big enough to apologise or even acknowledge publicly what he had done.

You will make your own judgment about whether that behaviour befits an England captain. I know what I think.

My last Chelsea game, in May, was against Manchester United. It would be a big match for two of my children as well. Gemma wanders around the house in a Manchester United shirt and Harry is always wearing his Chelsea shirt with 'Lampard 8' on the back.

Mourinho decided it would be a night for me to remember although, sadly, not with fondness.

FIFA referee Peter Prendergast, my mate from Jamaica, came over and we were in the ref's room before the game when JT came in. It was the John Terry I knew from a few years back: friendly, polite, jokey.

Once the game kicked off, he was snarling and swearing at me at every opportunity. When I started a bit of banter with Joe Cole, JT said to his team-mate, "F*** him off, Coley. Don't talk to him."

When Chris Eagles, the United midfielder, put in a bad tackle on Shaun Wright-Phillips, Mourinho was up and looking apoplectic.

The Chelsea manager hurled abuse so I approached him in the technical area. Before I could say anything at all, he leant his head into me and produced a foul tirade which included a disgraceful personal comment about me and Sir Alex Ferguson. I was stunned. I was appalled.

Immediately after his despicable outburst, before I could respond, he climbed into the seating behind the dug-out, as if he had been sent off.

As I stood there, still in shock at the verbal assault I had suffered and looking on as Mourinho clambered into the seats behind the dugout, I thought to myself: I do not need this hassle - I have got three games left after this.

I do not want to spend possibly months after that waiting for a disciplinary hearing for Mourinho, at which he will get the equivalent of a slap on the wrist.

So I did not send him off. If that was a dereliction of my responsibility, then I apologise. The actions of JT and JM were unforgivable, but I have no doubt that they were encouraged to behave as they did by the contemptibly timid FA.

Was it right that he was confident that he would get away with it - that any sanction imposed by the FA would not seriously inconvenience him or his club?

I think it is a terrible indictment of the FA that a referee suffered that filthy defilement and yet concluded there was no point in responding.

Penalties for managers who make personal comments have to be sufficient to act as deterrents. And that means the deduction of points.

Instead, I used my lip-microphone to say to the fourth official, Mark Clattenburg: "Make it clear to Mr Mourinho that he has not been sent away from the technical area."

I also told John Terry that I had not sent off his manager but at this stage he wasn't prepared to listen to anything I had to say.

Mourinho said after the game: "I was telling Mr Poll a couple of things I have had in my heart since the Tottenham game. But it was nothing special.

"I was cleansing my soul. I think he [Poll] was what he is always. Do we jump with happiness when Mr Poll comes? No, I don't."

There we are then. His noxious outburst was nothing special. It was just Mourinho cleansing his soul.

When I read what Mourinho had said and considered how Steve Clarke, Terry and the Chelsea manager had delivered the same "key message" at different times in the game, I did wonder whether it was all premeditated.

Mourinho did not like the fact that I stood up to Chelsea and that I refused to be intimidated.

As far as I was concerned, in the course of six days I had experienced the exhilaration of performing at the peak of my powers - chosen to referee in the UEFA Cup semi-final in Seville - and the degradation of being foully derided at Chelsea.

Both matches confirmed my view that it was time for me to finish refereeing.

For somebody who's become the most disliked man within the game , he's certainly doing all he can to keep that reputation in full flow.

He's so concerned about his own profile he'll do anything to get media attention .

The man is an arse wipe , nothing less and a baseball bat wouldn't do him any harm.

Prick

At least his vitriolic bile has put one disgusting rumour to bed once and for all, the rumour that he is a Chelsea fan that appeared on here briefly a while ago. it also proves beyond doubt what a poisonous biased little reptile he was any time he took charge of our games.

I really hope JT (and Chelsea) sue the miserable sour little runt for every penny they can, and as a further punishment he should be made to present JT with the next trophy that we win whilst dressed in a Liverscum kit.

The w**k2.gif

Guest Brian M

More of the same...

Poll: The truth behind the battle of Highbury

Headbutts, threats and *&@! Wayne

It was the 'unrefereeable' game ? and both Manchester United and Arsenal wanted me to take charge.

Not for the first, or last, time I used some advice from my friend, the Italian referee Pierluigi Collina, who always refused to speak to coaches or players before a game because it might suggest a lack of confidence, a weakness.

When I pressed the bell for the teams to leave their dressing-rooms on February 1, 2005, neither team emerged; neither wanted to be first. Each wanted to leave the other standing about in the corridor. I pressed the bell a second time. Again nothing happened. Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson were keeping watch by their dressing-room doors, each waiting for the other to blink first in this stand-off.

I then decided on a personal approach. I walked to the Arsenal dressing-room. As I passed United's room, Sir Alex let me know in three chilling words what he expected of the game. He looked me in the eyes and said: 'Good luck tonight.'

I asked Arsene, politely, to let his team out and he did. I walked along the tunnel, next to Arsenal's Patrick Vieira and tried to lighten the atmosphere. I said to Patrick: 'Remember this fixture last year when we made Roy Keane laugh as we waited to go out on to the pitch?' Patrick replied: 'That will not happen tonight.' I asked Sir Alex to send out his team. He answered: 'Roy's not ready.' I said: 'OK. No problem. He can join us in a minute.'

So the Arsenal line of players and the four match officials made their way towards the end of the Highbury tunnel. I then heard raised voices further back in the tunnel. Patrick and Gary Neville were in each other's faces. Patrick was saying that he wanted to break the England defender's legs. At that moment, Roy arrived. He said: 'Pick on someone your own size.' Patrick said: 'I'll break your legs as well.' Roy replied: 'If you were that good, you'd be playing for Real Madrid.'

It was a clever riposte ? Patrick had been courted by Real the previous summer.

I could have 'sent them off', some disciplinarians will tell you that is what I should have done. But I needed them on the pitch.

Keane to make a point

I knew if I could manage them during the game ? and I felt sure I could ? the two influential captains could help me control a volatile match.

So I split them up and we went out on to the Highbury pitch. When the time came for the toss of the coin they refused to shake hands and neither was willing to call 'heads' or 'tails' so I assigned the sides of the coin for them.

The testosterone was still coursing through the players' veins when they kicked off. Tackles went flying in. I awarded six free-kicks in the opening two minutes as I stuck to my game plan of keeping a lid on everything at the start.

Ashley Cole claimed an early penalty after going down with what looked to me like a comically unconvincing dive. I clamped down on anything looking like a foul and Roy came over and said: 'You're making it worse.' I replied: 'Give me two more minutes and the game's yours.' I hoped that my rigorous opening gambit would tell the players I was in charge and after that they would have confidence in me and not try to settle their own feuds.

And it worked. The 'unrefereeable' game was an absolute epic, with some magnificent, hightempo football.

I handed out six cautions and one red card to Mikael Silvestre for headbutting Freddie Ljungberg. As Silvestre left the field, Sir Alex, who had not seen the off-the-ball incident, asked him what had happened. Mikael replied: 'He pissed me off so I butted him.'

The other contentious issue was the outburst of profanities from Wayne Rooney. I can't remember precisely what caused it but someone worked out that he used the f-word 27 times, mostly at me.

It was, apparently, an impressive demonstration of rapid-fire swearing. Despite what so-called experts keep writing and broadcasting, using 'foul language' is no longer an offence, because people swear all the time.

In Rooney's case there were also other considerations. If I had sent him off, a volatile game might well have exploded. So I called Keane, Rooney's captain, over to us as a witness and told Rooney: 'There will be no more of this or else you will be sent off.'

Rooney has a f-word

Whether Sir Alex reinforced my message at half-time, I do not know, but Rooney gave me no more trouble and kept his mouth more or less under control.

From my point of view, I had successfully man-managed him and had helped the game.

If I had let the game explode it could have done terrible damage to the image of football and the English Premiership.

Instead, we had a fixture which enhanced the reputation of both.

Rumour has it that Graham Poll, the hottest property in the Chat Show marketplace since his retirement from top class refereeing, has landed the job as stand in for Jonathan Ross on his Friday Night extravaganza. Despite strong competition from another extrovert called Graham, the one surnamed Norton, the football fans? flouncing favourite got the nod as it was felt that he courted more controversy and the opportunity to also sign up his best mate, Anders ?Cheeky Boy? Frisk, proved just too good to be true.

Apparently the programme will be entitled ?Polly and Frisky Untamed? and the BBC have lost no time in confirming that both are, for want of a better word, booked. The Corporation have already released a Polly Podcast and Video Clip, during which the dapper diva proves to be quite a card, filmed as he is in the midst of a make-up session before rehearsals. The cameraman breezes in and intrudes on a jovial little scene with Graham treating the make-up girl to a few chortled lines from his long time favourite Musical, the ever popular ?ANNIE??

The Sun ?ll come out?tomorrow

Bet your bottom dollar that?tomorrow

I?ll be in?

The merry twosome fall about laughing and Graham reveals all as he turns to the camera and, with hushed sincerity, addresses his adoring public? ?I?ve always loved that song, you know, ever since I was a young thing from Tring and used to sing it to anyone I could find who was stupid enough to listen. I?m hoping my great buddy Pierluigi Collina will put in a cameo performance for me on the new show, as he would make a great Daddy Warbucks, even if he is a tad frightening for the kiddies. That thought sums up my appeal, I suppose, a sort of universal, multi-talented, soft hearted individual who always thinks of others and who decided to go on the biggest stage of all and wow audiences worldwide?with refereeing.

Anyone as good at their job as I was would have done the same and my co-presenter on the show is such a man. However, whilst I will actually be sitting on the sofa talking to you all, Anders is just as likely to be behind it, due to the scandalous death threats he received from a mindless minority of over three thousand Chelsea fans at one point during his last European Tour - Barcelona I think it was - and you know they really loved him out there in Spain, they just loved him to bits. So, you may not see much of the Bouffant One in the early episodes, but when he does put in an appearance please, I beg you, don?t throw coins, just notes.

Moving on, I simply must tell you about our first guest, Thierry Henry, who will be flying in from - Barcelona I think it is - and we will be recreating that ?quickie? I gave him while playing against those scandalous Chelsea boys a few seasons ago. Always goes down an awful lot better than a ?ceremonial?, which I find is nowhere near as exciting, albeit legal. Titi, as I am allowed to call him, will be bringing his own goalposts with him, along with Willy Gallas, who I kinda like now that he?s joined those lovely Gunners. Such a pity we can?t all get together on a pitch once again and muck about like mates do, vying to be the centre of attraction. Ah, good times!?

Graham shakes his head wistfully, wipes a tear from his eye, and blinks through the lights festooning his dressing room mirror. The cameraman retreats through the doorway and we listen once again to the dulcet tones of a prettied Polly as he looks at himself in the glass?

Tomorrow, tomorrow

I?ll love you, tomorrow

It?s only a day away!

all his rants have done is confirm we were rant to sing: "oh graham poll, is a fu*king arsehole, is a fu*king arsehole, is a fu*king arsehole." I think we should continue to do so even though he's quit

Well as long as he keeps opening his mouth about old stuff that he's wrong about then I see no reason for us to stop singing that delightful tune.

After all, we're only speaking the truth. icon_razz.gif