Salomon Kalou will be missed during the ACN..

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

..as will all our African players. We can't emphasise too much how we need Drogs and Essien but no one seems to notice Salomon.

He have scored in both of our last games in crucial time and his contribution has been good otherwise also. He isn't everyone's favorite, me included, but we will be missing his goals and his runs on the left flank during that time.

We just have to hope our january signings are up to the task and if Malouda gets well he will show us what he is made of.

Salomon Kalou: The only player born offside.

But seriously, he is a good player and if he can work on his erratic finishing and the timing of his runs then he can become a great player for us. His dribbling skills are good and he has a fair amount of upper-body strength which allows him to hold defenders off and keep the ball well.

I'm hoping Kalou and Drogba's absence over the next month or so will give Sinclair a chance to show people what he can do, because from what I've seen on him in both the first team and youth/reserves games, he looks like a quality player and his pace can be a real asset for us.

If we were to sign Anelka and Berbatov then I really don't think we will miss Kalou at all.

At the moment for me he is a squad player and shouldn't be starting as many games as he has.

What I am saying ES, is that IMO, Kalou is not of the standard to start week in week out for a team of our standing. We should not be in the position where we are having to rely on a squad type player. He would not be starting games for Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal.

That's why I hope we do sign Anelka and Berbatov (although I too will be surprised if we do), so we can compete with our main rivals again and let Kalou develop when he gets his chance but not rely on him week in week out when he isn't good enough yet - nowhere near.

What I am saying ES, is that IMO, Kalou is not of the standard to start week in week out for a team of our standing. We should not be in the position where we are having to rely on a squad type player. He would not be starting games for Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal.

That's why I hope we do sign Anelka and Berbatov (although I too will be surprised if we do), so we can compete with our main rivals again and let Kalou develop when he gets his chance but not rely on him week in week out when he isn't good enough yet - nowhere near.

I'm sort of in agreement in that Kalou is a long way from the finished article, but at the same time if he doesn't get to play then how will he ever develop? If I had the choice of a fully fit Robben or even, dare I say it, Ronaldo then of course I'd take that any day.

But I read a lot about giving Sinclair his chance when the same thing would apply to him - raw, inexperienced, not really at a level to be starting for a top european team.

I had a look at Kalou's stats and I don't reckon they are that bad:

Last year he started 25 matches and came on as sub in a further 33(!!) and scored 9 goals

This year he has started 18 matches (and 10 as sub) and already scored 7 goals

Could he have scored more if he showed better composure? Absolutely. But in some ways that is a positive. I can see that if he settles down and develops that he could easily contribute in the high teens in terms of goals - a bit like Ronaldo is now doing at Utd. ( No, I don't think he is as good, or even will be as good as Ronaldo - before you ask! icon_lol.gif )

Incidentally, I think he would get some starts for Utd and Arsenal, particularly if they had some injuries. As for Liverpool - well he is far too good for them!

Edited to say:

You could easily make a good argument that his contribution to the team this season has been a lot more then a certain Mr J. Cole. icon_wink.gif

Kalou hails fighting spirit

Chelsea ace happy with festive grit

While The Blues were ruling themselves out of the title race last season with draws against Reading, Fulham and Aston Villa, they have dug out results this time around.

Chelsea left it late before securing a fortunate 2-1 win over Newcastle at Stamford Bridge while they also came from a goal down to secure a 2-1 win at Fulham.

Kalou acknowledges Chelsea's football has not been the slick free-flowing football people have come to expect, but he does not care as long as they are grinding out results.

"Last year over the same period we dropped points and lost the title," explained Kalou in the Daily Mirror.

"This year we have had the spirit of survival.

"It has not always been beautiful to watch, but during this difficult period, it was important to fight."

If we were to sign Anelka and Berbatov then I really don't think we will miss Kalou at all.

At the moment for me he is a squad player and shouldn't be starting as many games as he has.

Agreed - Lets ship in Anelka. Everything Kalou wants to be when he grows up. Anelka short term solution, Kalou gets a few more years

I think that all of our players will be missed during the ACN, Kalou included. Please remember that the kid is only 21 years old. I think playing at the international level will be great for him, and us. Same for Mikel. The more exposure they get to competitions at such levels of the ACN the better player they will become.

He is starting to score, starting to get better in the air, and starting to get more confidence. Plus, knock on wood, he doesn't spend a whole lot of time in Arjen Robben's locker room (I mean the treatment room). I think in a few years he could become our version of Christiano Ronaldo

Scott

I think calling Kalou our future C.Ronaldo is going a bit far (though that said, who thought Drogba was going to be the player he is for us after his first season at Chelsea?), but I do think he gets a bums rap sometimes and its a little unfair on the guy. His clearly got alot of talent and his one of those players i'd really not like to see us lose anytime soon.

ok, I might have gone a bit over board there, but i don't think C Ronaldo hit the ground running at Man U. And, Drogba never did for us. Kalou has time and youth on his side, and I agree with Qaz that he gets an unnecessary bum wrap

I don't see Kalou as a ronaldo-like superstar who is loved by the crowd. He will never be that since he seems to be quiet and humble guy. His skills on the pitch will improve and I think he will be regular starter for us at least. He will be 15-20 goal man for us and really important.

Psychologially he will not be a Ronaldo-type figure. I think C.R. is mentally really strong and really cool when needed(portugal-england penalties..).

• 2 weeks later...

Someone on another forum pointed out an interesting statistic:

Most assists in the Premier League this season so far:

1) Ashley Young(Aston Villa).........12

2) Francesc Fabregas(Arsenal)......10

3) Dimitar Berbatov(Tottenham).....9

4) Kenwyne Jones(Sunderland).......8

5) Salomon Kalou(Chelsea)............8

Click here for the full list.

Well he can't hit the net so he might as well assist someone else icon_wink.gif

Well he can't hit the net so he might as well assist someone else icon_wink.gif

our top goal scorer this season with what addmitadly is a humble 7 but still better than the rest!! oh should point out he's what 20....

that tab;e shows that he is doing his job. he was brought in as a support striker, so he's obviously putting himself about to get into the right places to either have a shot or lay it off to others (which sometimes, to his own fault, could be his shortcomming

Scott