• Bridge
    • Mutuuuu
    • Kalou
    • Sheva
    • Sidwell
    • Belleti
    • Ben
    • Veron

I went with Cech, Carvalho and Maka. If I had had 4 votes then Drogba would have got it but he lost out because of the season and a half he spent rolling around on the floor crying.

Cech, Maka and Essien for me.

Cech because he's...you know...the best keeper in the world (apart from Buffon). He's saved us loads of times and with him gone you really can notice a huge difference in the defence.

Makelele because he's given us experience and he's also the best defensive midfielder in the history of football. Besides he's a really funny bloke.

Essien because he's been really useful. He has played in almost every position and done it really well. He's a midfielder but also one of our best defenders icon_wink.gif

Would liked to have said Riccy too because he's been huge this past few seasons and he has really stepped up when JT's been out. He complained a bit when he got here but since then he's been nice and quite icon_wink.gif

Drogba had a tough first year without enough goals and some whining and also alot of diving which wasn't nice. Then he changed his attitude and stayed on his feet more and also started scoring goals. Alot of them too.

Don't quite like him opening his mouth too often though. Keep it shut and talk to the management instead of the media. nono.gif

I went with Cech, Carvalho and Maka. If I had had 4 votes then Drogba would have got it but he lost out because of the season and a half he spent rolling around on the floor crying.

Rolling around on the floor, but still playing a vital part in us winning two titles!

Makelele, Cech, Drogba

Rolling around on the floor, but still playing a vital part in us winning two titles!

Makelele, Cech, Drogba

As did Carvalho. To be honest if it was based on the first title win then neither Drogba or Carvalho would have got my vote however over the three seasons all together I don't think there is much to choose between them and thus I gave Carvalho the nod as Drogba did make a pillock of himself too many times.

Cech, essien and Crespo for me. I know Crespo is an outside shot, but had he been settled at the club I think he would have been amazing for us. He genuinely looked like he loved football regardless of what club he played for, and that was a characteristic I admired about him most.

Other than Crespo, it has to be Ricci for me

To be honest I don't know how anyone can leave out Drogba. I wrote a piece a long time back stating the reasons why we would never have won the league with a striker like JFH leading the front line.

We desperately needed a centre-forward who could:

1. Hold the ball up, wait for midfield players to support him and then lay it off.

2. Who was willing to tackle and be our first line of defence when the opposition had possesion in their half.

3. Gave us a genuine aerial threat.

4. Had movement across the line and a good work rate, both going forward and back.

5. Score some goals.

Now, even in those days when he hit the deck too easily and whined to the ref, Drogba still gave us all those things. Much was made of his touch and control in that first season. All greatly exaggerated IMO. Yes, his touch was not at the level it is today, (confidence my friends), but for every ball he missed controlled and pass he mis-placed, he had a dozen that came off. And he never gave defenders a moments peace.

Note number 5 on the list. Score some goals. Not loads of goals, some goals. He didn't have to get a hatfull. Provided he did all those other things he would make it easier for midfield players to get forward and pose a threat. Goals would come from all over the pitch, and they did.

Drogba's role become even more important when Jose played the 4-3-3 with a lone central striker. He was one of the very few strikers around who had the workaholic mentality and physical assets to make it work. Without Drogba we would never have won the titles. He was every bit as important as JT and Lamps. Carvalho we could afford to be without. We had Gallas.

Much was made of his touch and control in that first season. All greatly exaggerated IMO. Yes, his touch was not at the level it is today, (confidence my friends), but for every ball he missed controlled and pass he mis-placed, he had a dozen that came off. .

Now who is exaggerating? icon_wink.gif

Good question and Thread !

For me

Maka - His contribution has been amazing, the man with a position named after him, wish he was played more now, he never has an awful game for me, the odd stray pass yes but one of the few people I have watched and made my jaw drop... The way he can tackle and turn away from someone in a tight midfield spot and turn it into attack is brilliant.

Drogba - As Just said

And I am amazed that no one has given more of a shout for Joey. Still not in his prime, the season before last he was brilliant, the important goals, the quarter final against Munich as good as Keane did for Utd in the Champions League... Deceptivley quicker and stronger than he looks. Wish he would cut out a little of the diving but no way near as bad as some. And as I have said in another thread, the only Shed boy in the squad as far as I know icon_wink.gif

::Scalf::