• Mario Gomez
    • Karim Benzema
    • Mamadou Niang
    • Klas-Jas Huntelaar
    • Blaise N'Kufo
    • Robbie Keane
    • Samuel E'to
    • Others, please state

It is worrying that Drogba is maintaining his ambition away from the Bridge at the end of the season.

Since his indifferent first season start in '04-05 where he still managed 16 goals out of 30 starts and 11 substitution,

he has scored 77 goals for Chelsea in all competition. He is becoming what Zola/Hasselbaink have done for us.

Is he too big a player to replace if he teams up with Jose?

Anelka is not my preferred option because they are different types of players. Drogs is physical, strong technically and a target man while Anelka creates, scores and draws away defenders.

I have compiled a list of the top European target man. Take your pick, or include others if not here.

The short answer is... no one.

I think there are a lot of good centre forwards out there. You could stick most of those players mentioned into our squad (and others not mentioned - Anelka, anyone?) and they would do quite well.

But, I would very much doubt if anyone would be an improvement on Drogba.

Most lone strikers (even good ones) can be fairly easily marked out of the game when they are as isolated as Drogba is most of the time. Drogs manages to win most balls (and just about everything in the air) despite being constantly in 1 on 2 situations. When he gets into 1 on 1 situations, he just murders his opponents, no matter how big/strong/good in the air/good on the ground they are.

If you look at the Arsenal match - you won't find a pair of centrebacks as good as Toure and Gallas. They are both good technical defenders, both strong and good in the air, and both a lot quicker than Drogs. But they couldn't handle him. If he was a bit better finisher, could have had 4 goals against them.

The more you think about it, the more he will be a massive loss if we lose him at the end of the season. It will hurt us a lot more than Lamps leaving, and I can see us having to completely change our style of play to cope with his loss.

It's funny how with Drogba's brace his the flavour of the month again. I've stuck up for Drogba alot since he first joined the club as posters such as G4 will surely attest, I beleive him to now be one of the very very top footballers on the planet and is irreplacable. Of course there will be positives of him leaving (it will force us to play more possession build up football), but losing a guy who is probably the best centre forward in world football currently is a big loss. It's kinda sad that a big club like Chelsea can lose a player like Gallas just after he was probably the best player the club had in his last season and now we are probably about to lose a player like Drogba who I stand by has been one of Chelsea's best players this season.

Daft indeed.

We don't need to replace Drogba. Man United didn't "replace" Ruud van Nistelrooy, Arsenal didn't "replace" Thierry Henry. They bought solid players that could work together to all chip-in to replace then. Drogba may score us 30 goals a season, but if (for arguments sake) he was replaced by a more creative, supportive player such as Eidur Gudjohnsen, who scored 10 and helped Joe Cole and Anelka net 10, what difference does it make?

It all depends on what formation our future manager (be that Grant or someone else) wants us to play next season. If we play a lone striker it would be a target man like Zlatan, Eto'o, or Huntelaar. If it were a 2 man attack, then a pairing of Villa and Benzema would be good, Villa and HUntelaar...you could pick a lot of combinations....

Anyway, I am an advocate for Huntelaar. A good work ethic, and not the ego or dressing room disruptions that you associate with Zlatan (he's been bad mouthing Inter in their poor run lately) or Eto'o

Scott

Daft indeed.

We don't need to replace Drogba. Man United didn't "replace" Ruud van Nistelrooy, Arsenal didn't "replace" Thierry Henry. They bought solid players that could work together to all chip-in to replace then.

Man United replaced RVN with Rooney and Wenger had faith in adeybayor to fill the void left by henrys exit. While they weren't like-for-like replacements, they still were replacements.

Drogba may score us 30 goals a season, but if (for arguments sake) he was replaced by a more creative, supportive player such as Eidur Gudjohnsen, who scored 10 and helped Joe Cole and Anelka net 10, what difference does it make?

I think great teams NEED star players. Barca won the champs league with ronaldinho, Milan won it with Kaka, Liverpool won it with Gerarrd, etc etc. Look at manchester united now, they have Ronaldo, and they are probably going to win the league this year. Clubs need these big players with their big attitudes because they want to win, and they weren't afraid of being called c**ts to do it.

Drogba is irreplaceable. He'll be a big loss.

The closest one on the list for me is Zlatan, simply because he's a one-man strike force. His footwork and ball skills are what this team need make up for the loss of DD's brute force. Also has good shooting range and awareness.

Man United replaced RVN with Rooney and Wenger had faith in adeybayor to fill the void left by henrys exit. While they weren't like-for-like replacements, they still were replacements.

Err- that's exactly my point- we don't need a Drogba clone. We just need a good player.

I think great teams NEED star players. Barca won the champs league with ronaldinho, Milan won it with Kaka, Liverpool won it with Gerarrd, etc etc. Look at manchester united now, they have Ronaldo, and they are probably going to win the league this year. Clubs need these big players with their big attitudes because they want to win, and they weren't afraid of being called c***s to do it.

...yes, but the point is, Drogba isn't the only star out there, and being nearly 30, is fading. We might still be able to sell him for a fantastic profit that could be used to strengthen other parts of the team.

This idea, such as the post above mine, that we need a super-star all-in-one package to replace Drogba isn't the right idea. By staying away from such a mentality it's probably how Ferguson has managed to compensate for losing the likes of Cantona, Cole, van Nistelrooy, Keane and so on.

I think we could see a major change of tack in the summer...while our football isn't as bad as the media make out, I think with drogba going and who knows even lamps, that there will be a greater emphasis on getting zola type players....it could also be the end of 4-3-3, with anelka filling one of the striker positions and the club going for a more creative striker to play off him...whether it be grant or someone else, i think roman is ready to get his chequebook out big style again and go the galactico route, which jose tried to fight him over..

oh robbie keane should be replaced by berbatov on that list, far more likely than the irritating twerp

There is only one Drogba in the world so we need to change the style of our play if he leaves. But it is not as simple as SydneyChelsea said. It is not as easy as getting Guddy type player and let his passing skill create those missing goals. Drogba is such a character on the pitch and his presence and defending skills are simply irreplaceable. In tight games he is just the best(Arse, ManU, Barca...).

But if and when we need to change the style of our play I'm all for that. I like the pace we have when we are at our best but with blinding speed you tend to lose control and accuracy. For example Zola and Guddy didn't run as fast as Robben, Duff and J.Cole at counter attacks but when they executed their pass at comfortable speed it tended to reach JFH or TAF foot/head with goal as the result.

If we are forced to change our tactics, formation it will take time to make it work and could cost us the league much earlier in the season.

I honestly think people here don't realise what a huge loss Drogba really will be. I understand why people don't like him, but he has been one of our best players this season and definately the best last season when he practically carried the side at times.

I honestly think people here don't realise what a huge loss Drogba really will be. I understand why people don't like him, but he has been one of our best players this season and definately the best last season when he practically carried the side at times.

Irrelivent. He wants to go, and keeps saying that he has wanted to for a while...byyyeeeeeeeeee!

In the poll I voted other, I do not think that we will play with a Drogba type.

Irrelivent. He wants to go, and keeps saying that he has wanted to for a while...byyyeeeeeeeeee!

We were were reportedly interested in whats his name at Sunderland, even sent a scout out to look at him during a game.

We were were reportedly interested in whats his name at Sunderland, even sent a scout out to look at him during a game.

What Kenwin Jones icon_eek.gif

Though I voted for Mario Gomez, I firmly believe that 'The Drog' is irreplacable.

And in two separate news articles today, the president and manager of Palermo and Vfb respectively have stated that their prized possessions(Amauri and Gomez) won't be leaving the next season.

Amauri : http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=632995

Gomez : http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=632867

Couldn't agree with you more Qaz. Just because someone is high maintenance shouldn't count against them as long as they are putting in the effort and producing the goods on the pitch.

Certainly not fading - at the peak of his abilities (dribbling/1st touch sometimes aside) and has never looked fitter. Agree with Qaz. Irreplaceable. If he does go (when's his contract term up? Anyone?) I'll even miss his attitude and workrate and couldn't give a sh*t if he mouths off every other week (He's a bloody star after all and seems to be keeping the Chelsea Shop meeting budget singlehandely!) Agree with everyone else that it'll mean changes in our formation. Now what would be nice if he leaves would be if Guddy was 5 years younger - if he was I'd have him back in a flash.