Portland Timbers get some love from FourFourTwo magazine!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

my local club, the Portland Timbers (in the US equivalent of the Championship, one rung below MLS, though the States don't have promotion/relegation) is getting some love from FourFourTwo magazine. check out page 20 for an article about our own chainsaw-wielding mascot, Timber Jim, who is retiring after our match on April 17 after almost 30 years of supporting the club.

Portland Rose City, represent!!

2008seasonkickoff004-1.jpg

(by the way, to Scott and a few others I believe might be in the Pacific NW, you should swing down Portland way for a match this season...they are unbelievable. closest thing to a European experience you can find in the States. witnesseth:

[youtube:1nrcb12e]

[/youtube:1nrcb12e]

[youtube:1nrcb12e]

[/youtube:1nrcb12e]

Manny, if you have a cell phone PM me your number. My good mate from Spokane has recently moved to Portland and his girlfriend is seemingly an avid Timbers fan. Me and another mate are planning on coming down for a weekend and taking in a match, for sure.

My two gripes about the Timbers...Green and White???? And they sing a song to the tune of "Blue is the Colour" entitled "Green is the Colour"

Scott

Manny

We are well aware of the Timbers down here in Monkey town. Your guys will be down here twice this summer once in June and again in July. Maybe I can get the guys to sing.............Mann-y Jel-lo

• 3 weeks later...

the good news, Max, is that Timber Jim still comes to all the matches and sits right in the middle of the scrum with the rest of us. he helps lead cheers and shakes hands and acts just like a regular supporter. we have a series of new lumberjacks (real ones) who rotate in as our new "mascot," but certainly not the same. Timber Jim = legend.

Manny...do they sell Timbers' replica shirts in shops over there? I've had friends and relatives bringing me footy shirts from their trips around the world...some of them as gifts and sometimes I've given them money to bring me some local club's shirt.

Now a friend of mine is going on a little tour of USA next month and although I don't know the exact route he's taking yet, I thought about giving him some money to buy a shirt for me. I mean, with the cheap dollar and all icon_wink.gif

I like the look of the Timbers shirt and even though even MLS clubs aren't very well known over here, it'd be fun to have a shirt of a more obscure club. Although I figure it might be hopeless for my friend to find one unless he goes to Portland, given that football(I refuse to type the S-word) is such a small sport over there and we're not even talking about an MLS club. Do you think my friend has any chance of finding one?

I'd wear a Timbers top, if it just weren't green and white...what colour is their away top?

Also, Manny, couldn't quite make out what they were singing but I assume it's something to do with Seattle? Also, with Seattle getting the MLS expansion team this next season, will that spell the end of their smaller team, or do you think it will attract more people to football in the Seattle area?