Ronaldinho

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Apparently the negotiations between Barca and AC Milan broke off with Galliani citing unreasonable money tag the Spaniards slapped on the player. I have read that Laporta quoted that Ronnie won't leave for anything less than 40 million Euros ( about £31.5 million ). It sounds like Barca are trying to cash in on him and who can blame them but based on the form he has produced during the last two seasons no team would pay that much.

Which brings me to this. We have had this discussion before and there are serious arguments against buying Ronaldinho(poor recent form,doesn't defend,huge wages,South Americans not adjusting well to English culture,climate and style of football,etc) but the possible upside to the deal is tremendous.

Kaka and Messi are unrealistic targets,Van Der Vaart is an interesting option but certainly a risk, Modric has gone to Spuds. Arsenal have Fabregas,mancs have Ronaldo. Unless we have secretly uncovered an unknown gem that will take the footballing world by storm i don't see us playing much different football next season.

There are only 4-5 clubs in Europe that can realistically land Ronaldinho. Barcelona already announced he's leaving so there's no way back. Real aren't interested, that leaves AC Milan, Inter, mancs and us. The golden days of Serie A giants spending huge money on superstars are long gone and i don't see either spending anything like the quoted fee. MU have been seriously interested several years ago and almost signed him but that was a different MU team and i don't see them going after Ronaldinho now.

So how about testing waters with an offer in a region of 24-25 million? He is still one of the best natural talents in the world football and on the right side of 30.

On his day, that's true. But those day's have been just recently, very few and far apart..

You're saying it like he's on his deathbed. The man is 28. Sometimes a change of place and a new challenge is all you need.

and franco was 30.

absolutely worth the risk IMO. or we could sign david bentley for half the price. this would be where the eye rolling smiley would come in.

increasingly though, I also like the idea of ribery.

There are only 4-5 clubs in Europe that can realistically land Ronaldinho.

. . .

So how about testing waters with an offer in a region of 24-25 million? He is still one of the best natural talents in the world football and on the right side of 30.

here's the flaw in your theory, my friend. you start off with the premise that only a few clubs can afford his price tag, thereby limiting his pool of destinations. but then you say that since we might be the only realistic landing spot, we should be able to get him on the cheap (or at least, relatively on the cheap).

but once we arrive at a valuation that dips below the megamoney that only a few clubs can afford, the pool of potential destinations will increase. there are only 5 landing spots for him at the 40 million range, but if you drop into the 20 million range, you double the potential destinations. hell, at that price, why wouldn't he end up in the States with the MLS?

There are only 4-5 clubs in Europe that can realistically land Ronaldinho.

. . .

here's the flaw in your theory, my friend. you start off with the premise that only a few clubs can afford his price tag, thereby limiting his pool of destinations. but then you say that since we might be the only realistic landing spot, we should be able to get him on the cheap (or at least, relatively on the cheap).

but once we arrive at a valuation that dips below the megamoney that only a few clubs can afford, the pool of potential destinations will increase. there are only 5 landing spots for him at the 40 million range, but if you drop into the 20 million range, you double the potential destinations. hell, at that price, why wouldn't he end up in the States with the MLS?

I think you're getting confused with various currencies.

The price Laporta quoted was 40 million Euros which equals approximately 31 million pounds, i was talking about offering about 25 million pounds, which sounds reasonable since i doubt Italians would offer more.

There's also an issue of the clubs being able to afford Ronaldinho's wages. Rumour has it his personal terms with AC Milan included wages of around 8 million Euros(!) per year, even if it's bollocks that should tell you that only a handful of clubs can seriously consider going after him.

It would be great to see someone like him at the club, however there has been many reports that he has become a bit of a party animal. Many say he's just lost his confidence at Barcelona. I still believe he's going to end up at AC Milan because that is where he wants to go. I personally believe a player like Ronaldinho doesn't just lose form and his ability within a season, he is something special and it would be great to see him at the club.

It would be extremely sad to see him fail at the club though.

Until such time as he actually moves he is always going to be linked with us and will be for two reasons.

1. We can afford whatever we like

2. Henk Ten Cate - Cate is widely credited as being the man who sorted him out last time he started going 'off the rails' and it is said that they are great friends and that Roniie was gutted when Cate left Barcelona.

absolutely worth the risk IMO. or we could sign david bentley for half the price. this would be where the eye rolling smiley would come in.

Actually i wouldn't be surprised if we'd have to cough up something closer to £20 mil if we were to bid for Bentley. English players are ridiculously overpriced, just look at how much we have paid for SWP.

I am still to see why anyone is all that impressed by Bentley. Before he was selected for England I would have said he was an above average team player but nothing more than that. Since breaking into the England reckoning he has started to believe the hype and now approaches games as if he is a wing wizard and has forgotten all about the idea of there being a team around him and, therefore, has lost the few things he had going for him.

I would hate to see us sign him.

Ronnie's career has not been one of rise and fall, but always uneven. Apparently he used to party in Paris when he first moved to Europe. I think it would be a major risk but if it worked it could be the move that sets us up for the next three years. Ironically, I think Mourinho would be the right manager for him, discipline/self-belief - I reckon Rijkaard's laissez faire attitude is precisely the wrong one to take. I'm sure he'd be very happy to move to London, but then that's problem isn't it?

That is exactly right, and a point that is quickly forgotten by all the people who don't want to see us pay "over the odds" for players.

The fact that we can pay well "over the odds" is the reason why we are in the position we are in now - i.e. first club mentioned when any good player becomes available.

When we buy players for "over the odds" prices, it means we have no competition.

Look at the Bosingwa transfer - aparantly it was either us or Man U, and Man U would have baulked at paying 16.5 million for a right back. We can afford it, so he comes to us.

To be honest, whether he is "worth" 16.5 million is pretty much irrelavent - the important thing is that we got our man. It would be very relavent if finances at the club were tight. But there not.

When we bought Drogba and Essien, they weren't "worth" 25 million each. They were good players in a 2nd rate league. But does anyone regret paying over the odds for them?

If we spend big money on Ronaldinho and he rediscovers 3/4 of his form from 18 months ago, then he will be in the same category. 18 months ago, he was at least as good as Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, or Messi is now. And we wouldn't be able to sign any of them for anything less than 60-70 million in my opinion.

What's the worst that could happen? He might turn into another Sheva. But that's the risk you take signing any player.

The whole situation reminds me of when we pick up Zola all those years ago. A truely gifted player stuck in a rut at a club that was heading in the wrong direction. All he needed was a change of scenery, and he rediscovered his magic.

2. Henk Ten Cate - Cate is widely credited as being the man who sorted him out last time he started going 'off the rails' and it is said that they are great friends and that Roniie was gutted when Cate left Barcelona.

He had two mentors 'upstairs'- former director Sandro Rosell (family friend who convinced him to join Barcelona instead of Man U) and ten Cate, who was a footballing mentor.

I'd absolutely love for us to land him. What's the saying about form is temporary, class is permanent. I've been a massive fan of his since he lobbed Seaman in THAT world cup game (obviously not that day or the weeks after). I just think the bloke is a massive massive player and although he can look a bit relaxed and putting in no effort whatsoever at times he can also win you a game in the blink of an eye. He is a unique player, and let's be honest if we were to land him it would be a massive plus on our attacking capabilities/creative play and we can afford to have that baring in mind the defensive capabilities of the back four and midfield.

I expect to be shot down for that post but it's just my humble ChElSea2.gifChElSea2.gif

I'd absolutely love for us to land him. What's the saying about form is temporary, class is permanent. I've been a massive fan of his since he lobbed Seaman in THAT world cup game (obviously not that day or the weeks after). I just think the bloke is a massive massive player and although he can look a bit relaxed and putting in no effort whatsoever at times he can also win you a game in the blink of an eye. He is a unique player, and let's be honest if we were to land him it would be a massive plus on our attacking capabilities/creative play and we can afford to have that baring in mind the defensive capabilities of the back four and midfield.

I expect to be shot down for that post but it's just my humble ChElSea2.gifChElSea2.gif

Ronny is a gamble,but a good gamble,he might be blinded by the lights of "party city" but JT would keep him in check happy0034.gif ,he is undoubtedly a phenomenal player,who could forget that goal that made a monkey out of us in the CL,if he is available he got to be worth a punt,and the creativity he would bring to the side would be huge,and give us and Roman the "sexy" footie he craves.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=699109

Galliani: Never Offered Barcelona €25m For 'Dinho

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani reveals that his club never offered Barcelona €25 million for Ronaldinho and he insists that they are not desperate to sign a striker.

The Rossoneri have been following the Blaugrana star for the last few seasons and he was one of their top transfer targets for the summer.

However, the deal collapsed as the Camp Nou side were asking for too much money. Galliani insists that his side never even came close to offering what was being asked for - around €30 million.

“Milan never offered Barcelona €25 million,” said Galliani.

“I don’t think Barcelona have lowered the price for Ronaldinho to €25 million, in any case this is not what we offered them.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like Barca are running out of options, come on Roman, take the wallet out, Ten Cate can whip Ronnie back into his best form.

No and a million times no. Have we not learned our lesson from Sheva? Comparisons with Zola are not worth making. He is a totally different character to "dihno. And we are not the club we were when Zola signed for us. Signing 'dinho would I fear just add more grist to the mill that we are nothing but a circus.

it really depends on why we want sign him. if we want to sign him to generate money then it will go badly wrong. if we want to sign him as the best player in the world then it should go really well. but it all depends on his attitude. if hes got to a point where football is a job then he might as well give up and retire. if he still enjoys his football then he is still a great footballer and i wouldnt mind him coming.

No and a million times no. Have we not learned our lesson from Sheva? Comparisons with Zola are not worth making. He is a totally different character to "dihno. And we are not the club we were when Zola signed for us. Signing 'dinho would I fear just add more grist to the mill that we are nothing but a circus.

Do you consider AC Milan a circus? Because they're in serious negotiations to sign him.

By their standards they're about to spend a whole lot of money on his transfer fee and wages, so they must believe he's worth it.

Unless, of course, like some of us, they know nothing about football.

Do you consider AC Milan a circus? Because they're in serious negotiations to sign him.

By their standards they're about to spend a whole lot of money on his transfer fee and wages, so they must believe he's worth it.

Unless, of course, like some of us, they know nothing about football.

You of course, know everything.

Two words ... advertising revenue.