50 million for Torres

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

There is more of a chance for us to sign someone like Messi than this guy and the chance of getting Messi is near impossible.

Fernando Torres will be staying at Liverpool for a long time and it's a shame we didn't go get him before they did.

This will never happen, just another stupid story.

Hypothetically, if we are going to spend 50 million on a player, then we would be about 100 million times better off giving that kind of money to the likes of Barcelona or Madrid than to any one of our direct rivals - Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool.

For those with short memories, when Roman first took over, we were very quick to throw 15 million at a then-cash strapped Man United for Juan Veron.

Fergie spent the exact same 15 million on a promising young portugese winger, who was previously out of his price range.

Now, i'm not a Benitez fan, but he is one of the better managers in the transfer market. Giving him a 50-million squad rebuilding fund, and watching him sign Villa and Aguerro and having money left over is not good business if you ask me.

Hypothetically, if we are going to spend 50 million on a player, then we would be about 100 million times better off giving that kind of money to the likes of Barcelona or Madrid than to any one of our direct rivals - Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool.

For those with short memories, when Roman first took over, we were very quick to throw 15 million at a then-cash strapped Man United for Juan Veron.

Fergie spent the exact same 15 million on a promising young portugese winger, who was previously out of his price range.

Now, i'm not a Benitez fan, but he is one of the better managers in the transfer market. Giving him a 50-million squad rebuilding fund, and watching him sign Villa and Aguerro and having money left over is not good business if you ask me.

Exactly clap2.gif

Arsene isn't that bad in transfer market either. Though he has the advantage on French players and Arfican/French players.

I totally agree that we should never buy guys from other top english teams if they are not totally necessary or cheap. We should also avoid buying african players too much. ACN was one of the reasons we are second this year. Not that we lost points during the tournament but our players were utter sh*t when they came back.

IMO the story is somewhat mischievous. On the one hand Chels have an owner who seems to have a liking for "classical" strikers with an excellent reputation (ie. Sheva) and also seemingly has a penchant for paying over the top prices for same. And with Drogba jetting off the story might have some foundation. Equally, however, and given everybody knows all of the above, perhaps the story might just be a "plant" in an attempt to shore up the reputation of a certain manager whose season has ended and who is keen to loosen the purse strings of the owners he has to deal in so far as the coming transfer period is concerned. I mean, let's face it, when Torres was secured by the filth no one round here doubted his quality and pedigree - the only real question being whether he would adapt to the EPL. Surely that question has been answered on all counts. And surely Torres has "saved" a certain manager's season I would have thought. As far as I'm concerned, Torres has probably singlehandedly added some 12 to 15 points to the filth's overall total this year. Without him I reckon that they would have been some 25 points off the pace in the final wash up and it would've been line ball (again) as to whether they would've secured 4th and hence a CL spot for next year. Given that, and if I was a certain manager who, it must be said, has squandered a lot of money in the last 3 years on rubbish but, equally, has Torres to hold up as his last major purchase wouldn't it make sense when dealing with the owners to use Torres as your prime example of why you need to spend say 60 to 80 and be really competitive in the market for two or three really good players in order to really give the comp a shake next year? By "planting" a story like this it just footnotes that "Look what a difference really world class players can make to our team - now even Chelsea want him" rhetoric & the fact that you bought him in the first place only lends support to your argument. All speculative I know but I can see the angles.

IMO the story is somewhat mischievous. On the one hand Chels have an owner who seems to have a liking for "classical" strikers with an excellent reputation (ie. Sheva) and also seemingly has a penchant for paying over the top prices for same. And with Drogba jetting off the story might have some foundation. Equally, however, and given everybody knows all of the above, perhaps the story might just be a "plant" in an attempt to shore up the reputation of a certain manager whose season has ended and who is keen to loosen the purse strings of the owners he has to deal in so far as the coming transfer period is concerned. I mean, let's face it, when Torres was secured by the filth no one round here doubted his quality and pedigree - the only real question being whether he would adapt to the EPL. Surely that question has been answered on all counts. And surely Torres has "saved" a certain manager's season I would have thought. As far as I'm concerned, Torres has probably singlehandedly added some 12 to 15 points to the filth's overall total this year. Without him I reckon that they would have been some 25 points off the pace in the final wash up and it would've been line ball (again) as to whether they would've secured 4th and hence a CL spot for next year. Given that, and if I was a certain manager who, it must be said, has squandered a lot of money in the last 3 years on rubbish but, equally, has Torres to hold up as his last major purchase wouldn't it make sense when dealing with the owners to use Torres as your prime example of why you need to spend say 60 to 80 and be really competitive in the market for two or three really good players in order to really give the comp a shake next year? By "planting" a story like this it just footnotes that "Look what a difference really world class players can make to our team - now even Chelsea want him" rhetoric & the fact that you bought him in the first place only lends support to your argument. All speculative I know but I can see the angles.

Spot on. Grant is much much better Manager than Rafa who bribed that spanish paper to write that article so that he can get more money from Owners to buy new players and all this by projecting that chelsea the are interested in a medicore player.

Frankly, I think that sort of thing just makes us look desperate and a little stupid.

If true then I agree totally.

Furthermore, Torres has said in the past that he has always been a Liverpool fan (doesn't he have some sort of Liverpool tattoo on his ankle) and had always dreamt of playing for them. Therefore there's zero chance of him leaving to join us.

The only thing that could change that is if he gets burgled by the Scouse vermin...he says hopefully! icon_lol.gif

Redforfilth (or whatever your name is) I didn't even mention our manager in my last post vis a vis your manager, nor did I call Torres "mediocre" and nor did I accuse anyone of bribing anyone. And they wonder (or do they?!?) why we're so fond of them.

The only thing that could change that is if he gets burgled by the Scouse vermin...he says hopefully!

lets be honest, its only a matter of time isnt it.... whens their next champions league game? oh thats right, qualifiers AGAIN for the dippers.....

• 2 weeks later...

To begin with, I'm a Liverpool fan, and completely agree with you. If we were ever to sell El Nino, which will hopefully be many years away, I pray he'd leave the Premiership.

You happen to say that you'd be giving £50 million to a rival team. It's not really that which you'd be handing us. You have to consider that we'd have to gamble possibly a good £30 million on another top class striker. If that doesn't work out, then the other £20 million doesn't matter. As much as I hate Hicks, even he wouldn't be that daft to sell our prised asset. A guy who has literally slipped into the Premiership and taken it by storm. Someone, whose already reaping the club rewards on the merchandising side and out stripping for the first time, Gerrard for shirt sales.

I know first seasons can deceive. The more difficult second season faces him, as managers have had more of a chance to analyse his style of play. Mind you, saying that, his variation of goals this past season gives me great hope.

As for Ronaldo, he was nothing to do with Rafa. Our scouts looked at him, but for some unknown reason, he went for Diouf instead. We bid some miserly amount for him. Then United came along with the stupid money that they could afford. End of story.

As much as I hate Hicks, even he wouldn't be that daft to sell our prised asset.

Well, you lot were quite happy to accept a 30 million bid for Gerrard from us a couple of years ago. Or is he not classed as a prised asset?

From what I have read about Hicks/Gillet's financial position, they may well not be in the position to turn down 50 million quid, no matter how good a player is. I'm not a financial expert, but if the WHOLE CLUB is valued at just over 200 million, then a bid for 1/4 of that CASH for a player is not likely to be knocked back in my opinon.