Kalou's Penalty

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I just wanted to point out something that was exceptional the other night that seems to a passed everyone, Salomon Kalou's penalty. He looked and took that spot kick with so much confidence that I am so proud of him. For a young guy put on that stage I think it is so commendable. Good on yer mate.

I think he and Belletti took great penalties, and Ballack was sublime too. Also, the emotion in the lad was evident when, after Anelka missed, he ran to the bench,and sobbed his heart out! Liked the player, like hima whole lot more now!!!

Just read this in the Anelka thread:

Anelka said he declined the offer to take one of Chelsea's first five penalties.

JT has predictably been slaughtered in the press for a) allegedly spitting on Tevez (total bollox - watch the video) B) being so egotistica as to put himself forward to take the pen, just to grab the glory etc.

It takes guts to take a pen,as Anelka's honesty indicates Wonder if he'll get the same vilification as JT?

I just wanted to point out something that was exceptional the other night that seems to a passed everyone, Salomon Kalou's penalty. He looked and took that spot kick with so much confidence that I am so proud of him. For a young guy put on that stage I think it is so commendable. Good on yer mate.

I think Sal has shown in his last few games that he is growing in confidence, and I fully expect him to have a big say next season.

Nice post, Aussie.

I was worried when Kalou stepped up, as he is still such a young man, and obviously wasn't expecting to take a penalty as he was not in the first 5. But as soon as the camera moved onto his face, you could see he was in complete control and was never going to miss.

That type of confidence gives me high hopes for him as a player. I think next season, he might be the one to do a Joe Cole, and make the step up into a guaranteed spot in the first team. Especially if we get a manager who is keen to play two up front, as he really looks the part as a support striker (possibly a better position for him than out on the wing).

All he needs to do is to work on his finishing, and learn to make the right decisions at the right time and he will be a great player. He's got the pace, got the physical ability and got the technique.

I have been a big fan of Kalou since he joined; for me the most promising youngster since Glen Johnson and Tiago (Essien doesn't count - even at 22 he was no youngster!). Hopefully, unlike with Glen & Tiago, our next manager will give him some serious game time. He's the kind of player that would thrive under someone like Wenger, so I hope we put our faith in him and see him rise to the top of the game, rather than either shoot his career in the foot or sell him cheap and see him thrive elsewhere.

I kinda recalled his Pen a few days later too. As you said, Aussie, he was very confident, as were Belletti and Ballack. But Kalou is but a youngster without the experience of matches like these. I too hope that he makes that next step in the coming season and becomes a regular. I think his versatility and size make him adept at being a future goalpoacher. So far it hasn't happened yet, but he has all the physical tools, no doubt, to be the guy who can partner a big striker/target man to make things happen.

Backbiter, I know the bollocks over JT's supposed spitting incident is totally absurd, but from most people in the press and other fans, I have heard mostly commendation for the fact that he stood up and took that penalty when it was clear that it was an absolutely huge moment. Im really disappointed in Anelka, and wasnt willing to castigate him before now, but jesus, if youre a striker and its a shootout, what the hell else are you going to do? Leaving a defender to take it is a copout and makes me a little upset.

When Kalou stepped up I thought "sh*t".

But his penalty was superb, the confidence and balls of the young lad was a joy to see. We need players we can rely on under pressure - all those people who stepped up to take a penalty, especially players like A.Cole [great pen], Belletti [obviously offered to take one, brilliant] and of course Kalou, I have the upmost respect for. Ballack, Lamps... we always knew wouldn't bottle it. JT? How many centre halfs step up? Lady luck wasn't on our side, but with these set of players (and a few more additions this Summer) - we will get our chance again very soon.

i feel the same way about kalou, he was quietly awesome for us this season, scoring goals when no one else was. i did think badly when he stepped up too but like a man, he just did his job and buried it. it was awesome.

i really hope theres a place for him this coming season, forget drogbas buddy malouda.

You never really know what to expect from the younger players on big nights with lots of emotion and tension in the air.. But full credit to the lad for stepping up and putting the ball away with a fair amount of cool and composure... clap2.gif