The Wire

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I know it's been mentioned before (thanks G4), but this series really is a bit special, so much so that it deserves it's own thread.

I only started watching it a few week back, and already I'm getting towards the end. This is very possibly the most amazingly compulsive, undeniably high-quality TV series I have ever seen. Did I say addictive? I'm just watched episodes 6 and 7 from series 5 more or less back, and it's a very fair bet that I'll be watching episode 8 in a little while. Which only leaves another couple of episodes, and I'll have seen the lot ... sadly I've got to sleep sometimes (and I've got to be out tomorrow, for a checkup), so I'll leave those til tomorrow.

The Wire: If you haven't started watching ti yet .. START NOW.

what is really great is as you watch the fifth season, the second really snaps into place in your mind... although just as great, it was almost like a spin off, detached from the other seasons, and then you realise (well, maybe you already had) the sheer scope of the programme.

not seen it whats it about???

Set in Baltimore, The Wire of the title refers to wire taps; it's about Baltimore police, drug dealers, drug smugglers, bent politicians, crooked lawyers, etc and how they interact. I actually stayed up last night and watched the rest of series 5, including the 90 minute series finale (episode 10).

This summary of the first series barely scratches the surface:

Set in Baltimore, this show centers around the city's inner-city drug scene. It starts as mid-level drug dealer, D'Angelo Barksdale beats a murder rap. After a conversation with a judge, Det. James McNulty has been assigned to lead a joint homicide and narcotics team, in order to bring down drug kingpin Avon Barksdale. Avon Barksdale, accompanied by his right-hand man Stringer Bell, enforcer Wee-Bey and many lieutenants (including his own nephew, D'Angelo Barksdale), has to deal with law enforcement, informants in his own camp, and competition with a local rival, Omar, who's been robbing Barksdale's dealers and reselling the drugs. The supervisor of the investigation, Lt. Cedric Daniels, has to deal with his own problems, such as a corrupt bureaucracy, some of his detectives beating suspects, hard-headed but determined Det. McNulty, and a blackmailing deputy. The show depicts the lives of every part of the drug "food chain", from junkies to dealers, and from cops to politicians

What can I say? Stunning, absolutely stunning. More info here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/

• 2 weeks later...