Frank Signs New Five-year Contract...

Butch
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

how great will this be? we'll get to see him make 400 appearances this season, then surely get to 500 and possibly 600, to see him get further up the all time goalscorers chart... he'll pass 10 seasons with the club.

amazing, particularly for us, to have this kind of continuity.

p.s. from his comments I think he inferred he took less money than he wanted to get a 5 year deal.

Edited by gullit4

excellent news. i was wondering how lampard would play with doubts hanging over him, now he can get his head down and get stuck into winning us trophys again....

Kudos to the management. An under-performing player who is already thirty gets a five year extension. Looks like Frank's drawn out war with board has finally come to fruition.

It'll be interesting to find how many more midfielder we're able to fit into the squad before the season gets under way

Edited by nofizzleforshizzle

I would really like to hear the last word on whether or not he took less to get an extra year. If so, its really exciting news because it means his heart is really here.

Its win win for the club because if Frank decides, eventually, that he does want to look for a new challenge abroad, he can easily be sold for a much higher fee. I would like to know, however, why the hell we called a presser like that. Kenyon? :scouser:

I would really like to hear the last word on whether or not he took less to get an extra year. If so, its really exciting news because it means his heart is really here.

Its win win for the club because if Frank decides, eventually, that he does want to look for a new challenge abroad, he can easily be sold for a much higher fee. I would like to know, however, why the hell we called a presser like that. Kenyon? :scouser:

making out it was a major announcement was a bit ott...sure i am happy about frank signing a new contract, but the club had built it up to be something amazing...a la kaka or something even though i'm sure if a deal like that was in the offing it would have come out in the italian media first...it just felt a bit of triumphalism in front of the cameras

To answer your question point 1, I think we called the press conference to shout ourselves from the roof-tops in a PK sort of way, but it was a positive move, we weren't having to explain ourselves for a change. Frank gaves the public blessing to the new manager and it gave out good vibes, it was also a parting shot to Jose to say 'He's Chelsea, not Jose's''.

Frank said only good things about JM and said he still had a good replationship with him because of what he'd done for Franks Career, and also said he could see himself wroking with hin in the future.

So on to your 2nd point, yes we've now tied up Lamp's on a deal longer than our current manager who's is 4 years, so it either means Jose's coming back, or if they/jose want him they'll have to pay right up, with the money not going to Frank, but back to Roman's Chelsea, another gesture toward waving the special one away. (perhaps Frank get's a slice if he leave's?) Frank did mention stalling on the signature down to event's happening over the previous year and needing time to think about thing's, sometimes a clean start can be a blessing. But from what I saw he knew where he belonged and is why he's put pen to paper. It's probably the last contract of his career and he wanted time to make the right decision, good luck to him.

But if further down the line he does want to leave, we must command a decent fee.

Great news, and a great point for him to make...he is a Chelsea player, not a Jose player. Plus if we were to sell him in the future, we'd be able to ask for more. I'd have been gutted if he left next year on a free!

The other thing, is this will send great vibes throughout the dressing room. He's one of Terry's best mates, so I am sure JT was anxious to know if his mate would still be around. Now, this is a boost for teh team and JT and you know JT will start riling the boys up now that Frank is on board.

It will be interesteing to see how we will play. I think with him, essien, Ballack and Deco it kinda loans itself to the diamond formation. I just hope we don't completely neglect Mikel, and to a certain extent Malouda. Will we play more of a rotational policy with some of the fringe midfielders now? Where will Malouda, Joey, Sweepy and Kalou all fit in?

I can't wait for the season to start now

Great, great news. Hoped he'd stay and he did- couldn't be happier. Bet you the media pundits will be disappointed. Jose would'nt be too chuffed either. Anyway, I'm now not too sure whether we should pursue Kaka and Robinhio - at least not until next year perhaps.

Sure it's good news, and very refreshing to see Chelsea show some kind of, for want of a better word, loyalty.... however i do think that from a financial perspective, it lacks sense.

Thats alot of money to hand over to a thirty year old.

On the issue of his contract, from what i gathered, Frank took a slight decrease in wages, whilst Chelsea then offered the extra year, so i think both sides of the negotiations met half way.

Lets hope he has a cracking season, and propels us to the title.