Prima Donna Berba Causing Gus Problems

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4037336,00.html

"After having a meeting he did not find himself in the right frame of mind to play. That is why he was not in the squad.

"When the player says to the manager that he does not feel in the right condition to play a full game at this level, I do not think you have any option.

"It is a difficult situation. We have been talking about it for two or three months and we have another week now."

this is the problem with guys like him, they dont just get out there and play - they agitate and frustrate to get their way, im so glad that at least didi didnt refuse to actually play footy XD

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4037336,00.html

this is the problem with guys like him, they dont just get out there and play - they agitate and frustrate to get their way, im so glad that at least didi didnt refuse to actually play footy XD

The only thing Berbatov wants is to play top football at a top club and I find it hard to believe that a lot of people don't understand that.

He is a fantastic player and he has brought a lot of success to every club he's played for (his goal for Leverkusen against the scousers helped them progress to the CL final in 2002), but there is only as high as you can go with the likes of Tottenham and this is no secret to anyone. These are not clubs who are destined to be on top and winning trophies on a regular basis - but clubs like United and ourselves are. If he wants to add more silverware to his CV, he can't do it where he is right now.

But trophies indeed he wants and as someone who wants to realize himself, I can relate to that. There is nothing wrong with a desire to prove yourself at the top. Not in my book of references.

He is 27 now, which is about the age for a striker, when you can make one last shot at it and go and prove yourself big. Its not like he has 2-3 more years to leave a mark in the history of Tottenham - strikers are usually at their best when in their 20s. When you are a 30-year old striker, you simply do not perform as well as you used to ( and don't give me the Zola argument - he was a miracle of football; just look at Sheva ). If he doesn't make his big transfer now when all is right for him to go, he may never have another chance.

The whole situation with his club is all very ugly. They don't want to let him go, despite his obvious wish to be let to join United. They just sold one half of their attacking duo, but have been sitting around with heads up their moneymakers droning about how Berbatov isnt going anywhere, when it is clear he might be, instead of finding a proper replacement.

Moreover ( and I think I maybe alone in this), I don't approve of the club behaviour on the matter. They bought Berbatov for 10 mln from Leverkusen and every figure I have heard tossed around is in the region of 25 mln that United are ready to pay for him. Thats a whopping 250 % return on investment, baybe. They are certainly not being robbed, so the main reason for what we are seeing now on both sides is the misproportionate greediness or plain stubbornness on behalf of someone in Three Points Lane.

If Berbatov wants to play for a big club, I say let him go. He clearly doesn't want to stay in Rottenham ( I mean, who of us can blame him :rolleyes: ). If he does stay, his ambition to move up maybe as good as gone (Red Nose will have to find a top striker somewhere), his play will suffer and his club along with it. Its a lose-lose-lose situation.

I may not approve of his methods of expression, but if it gets him where he wants to be, its fine by me.

I wouldn't think many people (other than Spurs fans) would say that they grudge him the opportunity to play at the highest level and clearly that isn't Spurs. However where he lets himself down is his total lack of professionalism and personal pride. Until the point that SPurs sell him he should have the decency to pull on the shirt and try his hardest to repay the hefty salary he is on, and also give as much joy he can to the fans that fork out a sum of cash that may be nothing to him but is something to them. This he doesn't do and for those reasons I wish him nothing but failure wherever he ends up.

Damn him, I had him in my fantasy team and now he is buggering around. Shame on him.

I don't think having his pic taken signing a Manu shirt have done him any favours, that's not very professional is it? I think Ramos is right to wash his hands of the petulant w*nker.

I would have liked us to get in and sign him ahead of Utd after seeing our attacking options at the weekend, but going by his off the field sulking etc I'd say were better of steering clear. When the going get's tough, he's not going to dig deep.

I wouldn't think many people (other than Spurs fans) would say that they grudge him the opportunity to play at the highest level and clearly that isn't Spurs. However where he lets himself down is his total lack of professionalism and personal pride. Until the point that SPurs sell him he should have the decency to pull on the shirt and try his hardest to repay the hefty salary he is on, and also give as much joy he can to the fans that fork out a sum of cash that may be nothing to him but is something to them. This he doesn't do and for those reasons I wish him nothing but failure wherever he ends up.

agree with this. most chelsea fans wont be happy with the way drogba has conducted himself the past year or so with regards to wanting to move, but hes never given less than 100% on the pitch. which is how it should be. but didnt essien do something similar to come to us?

Don't have a lot of sympathy for him, really.

He signed a contract that kept him at Spurs until 2010 - noone forced him into this. If he had grand plans to play for a "big club" at age 27, then he shouldn't have signed up for a lengthy contract with Spurs. Simple as that.

He is being paid very well by them, and his end of the deal is to be a professional footballer, and do the job he is employed to do, whether Spurs is his ideal club or not - which he is clearly not doing at the moment.

Spurs have invested a lot of money in him (it was about 15 mil originally, wasn't it), and are completely within their rights to demand seriously big money from Man United to break his contract, rather than a below-market-value 19 million just because Berbatov has the hump and would rather play for them. Epecially as they don't desperately need the money right now having just sold Keane, and would strugle to find another striker with only days left in the transfer window.

I completely agree with the stance that Spurs are taking on Berbatov, in the same way I agree with the same stance that Man United themselves took on Ronaldo. It should not be up to a player mid-way through a lengthy contract to demand a transfer just because they would rather play for someone else.

If that becomes the norm, then I can see an end to big money transfers altogether. Why would any club invest 20+ million pounds on a player, when the player could turn around after one or two seasons and demand a cut-price move to another club and expect to get it.

The only thing Berbatov wants is to play top football at a top club and I find it hard to believe that a lot of people don't understand that.

He is a fantastic player and he has brought a lot of success to every club he's played for (his goal for Leverkusen against the scousers helped them progress to the CL final in 2002), but there is only as high as you can go with the likes of Tottenham and this is no secret to anyone. These are not clubs who are destined to be on top and winning trophies on a regular basis - but clubs like United and ourselves are. If he wants to add more silverware to his CV, he can't do it where he is right now.

But trophies indeed he wants and as someone who wants to realize himself, I can relate to that. There is nothing wrong with a desire to prove yourself at the top. Not in my book of references.

He is 27 now, which is about the age for a striker, when you can make one last shot at it and go and prove yourself big. Its not like he has 2-3 more years to leave a mark in the history of Tottenham - strikers are usually at their best when in their 20s. When you are a 30-year old striker, you simply do not perform as well as you used to ( and don't give me the Zola argument - he was a miracle of football; just look at Sheva ). If he doesn't make his big transfer now when all is right for him to go, he may never have another chance.

The whole situation with his club is all very ugly. They don't want to let him go, despite his obvious wish to be let to join United. They just sold one half of their attacking duo, but have been sitting around with heads up their moneymakers droning about how Berbatov isnt going anywhere, when it is clear he might be, instead of finding a proper replacement.

Moreover ( and I think I maybe alone in this), I don't approve of the club behaviour on the matter. They bought Berbatov for 10 mln from Leverkusen and every figure I have heard tossed around is in the region of 25 mln that United are ready to pay for him. Thats a whopping 250 % return on investment, baybe. They are certainly not being robbed, so the main reason for what we are seeing now on both sides is the misproportionate greediness or plain stubbornness on behalf of someone in Three Points Lane.

If Berbatov wants to play for a big club, I say let him go. He clearly doesn't want to stay in Rottenham ( I mean, who of us can blame him :D ). If he does stay, his ambition to move up maybe as good as gone (Red Nose will have to find a top striker somewhere), his play will suffer and his club along with it. Its a lose-lose-lose situation.

I may not approve of his methods of expression, but if it gets him where he wants to be, its fine by me.

You know, Virosh, i dont agree with your viewpoint about player rights (not in this particular case but with player rights in general) but that is a well thought out and excellent post.

It was obvious to anyone who saw all the turnover the spuddies had that it wouldnt be easy for them. Yet the experts all picked them for a top four finish. Well, take away the top striker and the team leader, gut the midfield, and replace them with a bunch of unknown qualities for the English game like Dos Santos and Modric and this is what you get.

I cant wait to see them struggle for a few more games, and they dump Ramos like a bad habit despite the class he obviously oozes as a manager. Levy and Commoli are fools who shouldve stuck with Jol and supported him properly, and I cant wait to see them have to clean up their mess with some other sucker.

You know, Virosh, i dont agree with your viewpoint about player rights (not in this particular case but with player rights in general) but that is a well thought out and excellent post.

Many thanks !

As far as the original topic goes, I stand by what I said.

Players should only stay at a club if they want to play for it. Class shows in most games, but when you want to achieve big things in the course of a season, it comes down to motivation, commitment and individual flair, none of which I expect to come from someone, who wants to be elsewhere, wearing another team's colours.

I would be absolutely gutted if I found out one of our players wanted to go and we didn't let them. Just like I was (and I am sure all or most of you were when we read about Drogba's "revelations" concerning his transfer from Marseille and the whole affair with Gallas, who went from one of the most valued and loved members of the squad to certainly the most hated ex-player as far back as I can remember). And as I am on it, I don't agree that Drogba's determination and commitment have always been 100%. I remember many games when he looked like he couldn't be bothered and played for himself rather than the team. I love the lad when he puts his head down and works his socks off, don't get me wrong, but he is not the paragon of loyalty and discipline (just two instances I recall : him listening to his iPod and the final in Moscow, after which half the forum was ready to sent him to hell).

Players should be allowed some freedom to play for the club that they want to, and if the fee thrown on the table is reasonable (and I am sorry, 28 mln for Berbatov is more than reasonable, as is 80 mln for Ronaldo, that nasty git, as was 30 mln for Sheva, etc) they should be let go. If it is obvious their hearts are somewhere else, they are hardly of any more use - they can win games, but not trophies. Trophies require that extra bit that comes with commitment and perseverance.

Roy Keane said recently that if he were the manager of Tottenham, he would personally give Berba a drive to Manchester and right he was.

Berbatov has been known to move up for the better part of 7-8 months (he's been indirectly hinting at that in many interviews in Bulgaria), so it's not his fault Tottenham have not looked for a replacement and its not like there isn't any such around.

As for the argument that this might mean the end of long-term commitment and big money transfers, I find the suggestion hard to justify. Again, players should be only allowed to move for a reasonable fee, one that covers the costs of scouting the player, recruiting him, playing his wages and the forgone benefits for the club on top of his market value. All those being met, you just don't have the right to hold on to players. Otherwise, I go with Sepp Blater - it is a form of modern-day slavery. Hell, we are just about to make one heck of a big-money transfer as I type this - Robinho is exactly the case I defend.

Thirdly, big long-term contracts are typically signed by players, because they almost always give a pay rise to the player ( a mighty significant one, I bet, in the case of Berba ) in an exchange for some stability for the club in terms of the length of the contract. So the case that Berbatov shouldn't have signed such a long contract had he wanted to move and that he should have known better is, well, unfounded.

I do not make the case just for Berbatov here and it's not merely because we share the same home country. I hold the same views on all players. They should be given a degree of freedom and choice of where they want their careers to develop and, at present, those freedoms are more limited that I want them to be.

Archived