The 86 Game Unbeaten Home Record

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Yes its gone, and yes its we are gutted that it has gone to them but thats for the official match thread.

April 2004 seems a long time ago , so much has changed, within football and outside of football too.

I just thought id say what a fantastic achievement it was - better than any other club has ever come anywhere near and it took a huge deflection to end it. Whilst it wouldve been nice to get to three figures lets not be churlish, its a huge thing to have done and we should all have been very proud to have been part of if. I doubt we will see its like again.

We are gutted about the result today and records are simply records, not trophies but we should all lift a beer tonight to all the players involved from Kezman to Pidgely and Lampard to Drogba but most of all thanks to Raneri, Grant, Scolari and of course mostly Mourinho,for the part they played in seeing it through.

Well done everyone , it was a great achievement.

Lets move onwards now.

Edited by bjd

Yes its gone, and yes its we are gutted that it has gone to them but thats for the official match thread.

April 2004 seems a long time ago , so much has changed, within football and outside of football too.

I just thought id say what a fantastic achievement it was - better than any other club has ever come anywhere near and it took a huge deflection to end it. Whilst it wouldve been nice to get to three figures lets not be churlish, its a huge thing to have done and we should all have been very proud to have been part of if. I doubt we will see its like again.

We are gutted about the result today and records are simply records, not trophies but we should all lift a beer tonight to all the players involved from Kezman to Pidgely and Lampard to Drogba but most of all thanks to Raneri, Grant, Scolari and of course mostly Mourinho,for the part they played in seeing it through.

Lets move onwards now.

That's a great post, BJD. I watched the match with a mate and we both said that we would have put up with it if we'd lost to United or the Arse, or even bloody Hull at home to end the record. The fact that it was them.... and of course we'll not hear the last of it for months.

But yeah - me and my mate became quite philosophical as the game trickled on into the 88th minute and the writing was well and truly on the wall. The record we had was magnificent, and it had to end one day. Let's just hope that the Fool are famous for being the first team to break that unbeaten record at the Bridge in Chelsea's third Premiership winning season. I'd happily allow them their glory then.

As you say, BJD - onwards, ever onwards...

Edited by Lady Diehard

Good post. Well said. One of the most disappointing things about today was seeing the crowd streaming out with 5 or 10 minutes to play. Even though we lost the players should have been acknowledged for what is a quite phenomenal unbeaten run.

Thats a disgrace !

So there it is then, Jose is the only manager to be unbeaten at the bridge !

At times it was getting to feel like a burden, and I can imagine it was starting to get to some of the players.

86 games is amazing record, we should take as much positives from it as possible.

Funnily enough, the only time it felt like a burden was as we were approaching Liverpool's old record. Once we were past that I don't think it really mattered all that much. It was nice but irrelevant. I'm sorry it's gone, but only because it means we lost a match and dropped 3 valuable points.

Lets move onwards now.

Great post bjd. hey fellas dont worrying to much, here comes another long run unbeaten, we might just need that to give us that extra kick,,,,,,,, THANKS CHELSEA F.C. LOVED THE RIDE.. TILL I DIE

Fantastic record that is unlikely to get beaten.

P 86 W 62 D 24 L 0 F 175 A 44 Pts 210

I'm afraid the end of the run was all my fault.

Four and a half years ago I spent a Sunday afternoon at my brother's house. He and his son are regulars at the Bridge but for some reason couldn't get tickets for the game against Arsenal. Despite taking an early lead we went down to a 2-1 defeat. A sickener, and hardly unexpected at the time, but it was the start of an unbelievable, record-breaking undefeated run.

I haven't been to his house since that day, but as he or I didn't get tickets for today's game - and as it was my birthday today - we decided to have a rare get-together at his house. We planned this a couple of weeks ago, but have joked how we'd already jinxed our home record just by agreeing to watch the game together at his place (we live 150 miles apart). Obviously deep down we were both fairly confident that Liverpool were just too crap to even threaten the record, but I have to admit that both of us felt that something too creepy for words was about to happen.

It's a sad confession to have to make, but, contrary to all the evidence that fielding a forward line of Malouda, Kalou and Anelka sowed the seeds of our downfall and played into Liverpool's hands, the person responsible for ending the run was me. Sorry, everyone. I am truly gutted.

from the moment I got up today I felt this feeling of despondancy and it wasn't just cos of the weather in London...it just felt from the outset that today was the day and the sponny nature of their goal just said it all...i think it would have been another 0-0, as bad as last season's, but for their fortune...no doubt they will be priased in the press etc for the way they played, but it was the same as always, physical, kuyt harrying our midfield rather than playing as a striker etc...to be fair it works for them, but it's horrible to watch...my one consolation about today was that their luck will have to run out and I still don't think they will win the league

A fantastic achievement, one that I can not see be overtaken for a few decades, even by us.Unfortunately all good things must come to an end, made it even worse it was undone by those scums. I do feel for a number of occasions in the last couple of years, we were playing for the unbetean record at home rather than going out there to win the games. Now this is out of the way, we should go all guns blazing and try to build a wining streak (wont be 86 games of course) at home.

Brilliant achievement.

It was obvious that in some games (Villa last year, Utd this year, Spurs in the cup a few years back) that teh record spured us on when we were behind. The sheer arrogance that it gave some of our players when we were behind, "how dare you start beating us", was something that I took great pride in.

However I'm kind of glad that it has finished now. The record was definetly something of the Mourinho era, (carried on by Grant admirably) and now that it's over I feel that the club can move on. I don't think we will loose our air of invincibility at all, on the contary it should give us a wakeupcall.

I would be worried about next week if I were a Hull fan.

its a great achievment for chelsea fc and all the players that took part in it

i cant see it been beaten for a very long time, and its a piece of history that we took off the scousers

i'm kind of glad its gone because now we wont be frightened to lose at home now, which i think is what it had boiled down to. the unbeaten record was begining to be more important than the 3 points as the players didnt want to be the players that give it away

a big big well done to all those who took part in it

its a great achievment for chelsea fc and all the players that took part in it

i cant see it been beaten for a very long time, and its a piece of history that we took off the scousers

From the Guardian:

One of the great records in the history of English football came to an end yesterday, but you would never have known it when the final whistle sounded at Stamford Bridge. The look of utter desolation on the face of John Terry required a fitting response from Chelsea's fans, who should have consoled their captain and the other stalwarts of the 86-match unbeaten home record in the Premier League - notably Petr Cech, Frank Lampard and Ricardo Carvalho - with resounding acclaim for their superlative achievement.

Those 86 matches will stand among the great monuments of the English game, alongside Herbert Chapman's four league titles with Huddersfield and Arsenal between the world wars, Tottenham Hotspur's Cup-and-League double season of 1960-61, Bob Paisley's three European Cups (and 18 other trophies) at Liverpool between 1974 and 1983, Nottingham Forest's unbeaten 42 league matches under Brian Clough between November 1977 and December of the following year, Manchester United's treble of 1998-99, Arsenal's "invincible" season of 2003-04, and Sir Alex Ferguson's 10 league titles in 22 seasons at Old Trafford.

For that record Chelsea should salute Claudio Ranieri, who was in charge for the first half-dozen matches; Jose Mourinho, who supervised the next 57 over three complete seasons; Avram Grant, unbeaten at home in 19; and Luiz Felipe Scolari, with two wins and two draws before the walls came tumbling down yesterday. The team that began the run with a 2-1 win over Fulham on March 20 2004 went like this: Ambrosio, Gallas, Desailly, Terry, Bridge, Gronkjaer, Geremi, Lampard, Duff, Crespo and Gudjohnsen, with subs Joe Cole and Scott Parker.