Bridgey

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Although i realy like Wayne Bridge (especially after the ECL win at the Library), i don't feel comfortable when he gets picked now days. His positional sense is terrible and often gets cought the wrong side of forwards or wingers (depending on whom is making runs either off the shoulder of the centre half or down the channels) and he is now being exposed a tad.

Ashley Cole is by far the better of the two and is is sorely missed when he isn't available.

That is my opinion anyhow, so give me your thoughts and reasons for them. Like i said, we all appreciate that goal and that AC is a bit of a plank on occasions, but try to keep this to footballing reasons.

Although i realy like Wayne Bridge (especially after the ECL win at the Library), i don't feel comfortable when he gets picked now days. His positional sense is terrible and often gets cought the wrong side of forwards or wingers (depending on whom is making runs either off the shoulder of the centre half or down the channels) and he is now being exposed a tad.

Ashley Cole is by far the better of the two and is is sorely missed when he isn't available.

That is my opinion anyhow, so give me your thoughts and reasons for them. Like i said, we all appreciate that goal and that AC is a bit of a plank on occasions, but try to keep this to footballing reasons.

He is not perfect, but I am happy with his play. In the Roma game, yes the first goal came from a cross from his side of the field, but you cannot blame him, because: a) Mikel decided to pass directly to an opponent on our free kick, and ;) our center halves decided to not mark anyone when the cross came in. Is Bridgey as good as AC? No, but I feel comfortable with him in there.

When Wayne gets to play he is not likely as match fit as Ash and stepping back into high quality Football is not easy even if you regularly play reserve match's,

Bridgy has to come in and be compared to one of the best left backs around and even if he plays well he knows he's out as soon as Ashley is fit.

I rate him as the best back up left back in Europe and after signing a new contract knowing what he can expect here, also the most loyal.

Edited by Chippy

When Wayne gets to play he is not likely as match fit as Ash and stepping back into high quality Football is not easy even if you regularly play reserve match's,

Absolutely, no arguments there.

I just think that he gets caught out so many times on the wrong side of the person that he is marking or was handed on to him, and it has showed on numerous occasions (not only for Chelsea) over the past 2 seasons. Then again the above reason may well be the reason for this.

I just think that he gets caught out so many times on the wrong side of the person that he is marking or was handed on to him, and it has showed on numerous occasions (not only for Chelsea) over the past 2 seasons. Then again the above reason may well be the reason for this.

I know what you're saying and I know the England game you might be thinking of but I think if Wayne ever gets an extended run in the team he will prove he is still a very good player.

He also tries hard to impress for us and England when he gets the chance and that could add to some of the nervous type mistakes he has made.

Thats how it looks to me anyway...

Dont get me wrong this is not a personal attack on Bridgey, i was just wondering what has happend to him defensively.

He has plenty of bottle (Wycombe away, Last year or the year before not sure which) plenty of pace, great crossing ability, but like i said defensively is not as good as he was a couple of years ago.

Thinking about it your playing time should not affect your positional sense, only fitness. Trying to over impress, yes granted.

Maybe Scolari should think about putting him in Malouda's position (like we did with Le Saux and Baba on numerous occsions) he can't do much worse than him.

Dont get me wrong this is not a personal attack on Bridgey, i was just wondering what has happend to him defensively.

He has plenty of bottle (Wycombe away, Last year or the year before not sure which) plenty of pace, great crossing ability, but like i said defensively is not as good as he was a couple of years ago.

Thinking about it your playing time should not affect your positional sense, only fitness. Trying to over impress, yes granted.

Maybe Scolari should think about putting him in Malouda's position (like we did with Le Saux and Baba on numerous occsions) he can't do much worse than him.

I can see the logic in that if Wayne is on the bench and Malouda happens to be having a ...well a Malouda, but actually putting a bench out with that in mind or picking Wayne ahead of him or even someone like sinclair would be a kick in the nuts for them and I dont think our options on the wing are really worse choices than playing a LB there unless injury forced it.

I think the other reason for Bridgey sometimes getting caught out is down to a certain Frenchman ahead of him who doesn't track back as well as he might which often leaves Wayne having decide to mark one of two players.

I think the other reason for Bridgey sometimes getting caught out is down to a certain Frenchman ahead of him who doesn't track back as well as he might which often leaves Wayne having decide to mark one of two players.

Saying that though Geez, you dont see Ashley Cole get caught out too often with the same winger on his side though, it comes down to key discision making.

Chippy, your proberbly right about playing Bridgy on the left wing, it would be abit of kick in the nuts.

He's great as back up to AShley, and at times he's better attacking than Cole is. I know attacking isn't what we need out of a LB, but with attacking full backs, it is certainly a great assett. also think that we will never see him play in the malouda position, but we did play a similar style with Babayarou and Le Saux, and it worked quite nicely then

Scott