Who is our most important player...

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

There are a few I would say are very important. Lamps and Mikel of course, but also Alex and Bosingwa.

While JT hasn't been as great as he can be I think Alex has played really well. He'ls looked really strong at the back.

And though I think Bosingwa hasn't been perfect (he needs to let go of the ball sometimes) he's still really important right now when we don't have any good wingers. Without him we would look really weak up front and I'm sure Anelka wouldn't have scored half as many goals as he has.

Well, at the moment, the one player we would certainly miss the most is Anelka.

There is probably a joke inside that, but I just don't get it. ;)

Back to the original question, I don't think there is any single player that can make or break the team and the fact that we have been doing quite well without any single one of them proves that.

However, if I were to choose, I'd say Essien.

Lampard for me. He has been at the heart of all good things Chelsea for half a decade now. When he plays well, so do the team. His goals record is stunning and he is our ultimate big game player.

We are not the same without him and he deserves all the praise he gets.

There is probably a joke inside that, but I just don't get it. ;)

Not sure about the joke, but I think he's referring to the 15 goals in 19 appearances. Not sure how many of those have been match winning goals, though.

Edited by Maksimov

Not sure about the joke, but I think he's referring to the 15 goals in 19 appearances. Not sure how many of those have been match winning goals, though.

Ohhh, yes, yes, now I get it. No joke, just my brain signing off there. I thought he meant " The player we miss the most IS Anelka", while he actually probably meant "The player we WOULD miss (had he been unavailable) is Anelka."

Sorry for all the spam.

Well every time he's scored in the league we've won so technically you could say all of his league goals have been winning goals.

Can't see Mikel as "Most Imprtant Player" - not by a long stretch.

In recent seasons the important players have been Cech, JT, Lamps and Drogba. The spine of the team and players who we miss big time when they are not playing. Both Cech and JT have suffered indifferent form of late and Drogba has gone AWOL so it has to be Lamps for me.

For me it would be Petr Cech. There have been some games where I have been thinking what the final score would have been if we were without him. Though I don't like the thought of the best player very much as many of them are important and the team need them all.

Well every time he's scored in the league we've won so technically you could say all of his league goals have been winning goals.

Technically speaking only one goal can be the match winning goal.

Yours truly,

a petty pedant. ;)

At the moment (last few matches) or of the current squad?

If of the moment, it must be Anelka for his goals (not much else). Close second would be Bosingwa and Ash for differing reasons - Bosingwa for his his attacking threat and crosses, while Ash has been solid on the left. The likes of Lamps and JT, even Cech, are all well below par (particularly the latter two). I'm actually quite surprised how sloppy JT and Petr have been of late.

If of our current squad, well, I'd have to say Lamps and JT (difficult to pick between the two though I'm leaning towards the former as always), closely followed by Carvalho and Cech.

Cheers,

Butch

At the moment, i think we miss Riccy desperately, so i would have to say him.

Over the last few years though, i dont think we are the same team without Lamps.

What about when he was missing for the Man Ure game and we played them off the park last season?

Lampard for me. He has been at the heart of all good things Chelsea for half a decade now. When he plays well, so do the team. His goals record is stunning and he is our ultimate big game player.

We are not the same without him and he deserves all the praise he gets.

Aye, seconded.

you forgot to wedge "Obi" in there somewhere

for me it comes down to

At the moment: Anelka. We would be nowhere without his goals

Current, fully fit team: Essien. No doubt in my mind, we dont look the same without him

The last five season: Lamps. He has scored some amazing goals for us and been an inspiration. I will never forget his pen last year