Champions League - Last 16

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

The draw is made a week on Friday but by the end of this evening we will know who we could be drawn against.

At the moment Liverpool, Roma, Panathinaikos and Barcelona are confirmed as group winners. From the other groups it's almost certain Man U will finish top. Arsenal need to avoid defeat at Porto to win. Juventus need a point at home to Bate and Lyon need a point at home to Bayern.

That leaves possible opponents as:

Panathinaikos

Barcalona

Juventus

Lyon

I don't fancy either Barca or Juve.

If we had won the group we would have been looking at Inter, Sporting, Atletico, Villarreal, Bayern, Porto or Madrid.

this is my local newspaper online, i think they forgot to do the pixelating, and its pretty clear whats on the wall. :D

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/1.282588

dammit. theyve realised and pixelated the name now. useless sods.

the thing is every team will be saying they want any of the runners up other than chelsea. and after the way weve played at home lately, having the second leg away might work out better for us.

The draw is made a week on Friday but by the end of this evening we will know who we could be drawn against.

At the moment Liverpool, Roma, Panathinaikos and Barcelona are confirmed as group winners. From the other groups it's almost certain Man U will finish top. Arsenal need to avoid defeat at Porto to win. Juventus need a point at home to Bate and Lyon need a point at home to Bayern.

That leaves possible opponents as:

Panathinaikos

Barcalona

Juventus

Lyon

I don't fancy either Barca or Juve.

If we had won the group we would have been looking at Inter, Sporting, Atletico, Villarreal, Bayern, Porto or Madrid.

Looking at the options I honestly don't see a huge difference. The likes of Inter, Real Madrid, Villareal, and Athletico could be very difficult ties. Of our likely options I'd prefer not to play Barca but if that is the way it works out so be it. Bring them on! If all the English clubs make it past the last 16 I guarantee UEFA will match at least a couple of them up as they probably want to avoid another all English final. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if most of the English teams get tough draws.

Looking at the options I honestly don't see a huge difference. The likes of Inter, Real Madrid, Villareal, and Athletico could be very difficult ties. Of our likely options I'd prefer not to play Barca but if that is the way it works out so be it. Bring them on! If all the English clubs make it past the last 16 I guarantee UEFA will match at least a couple of them up as they probably want to avoid another all English final. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if most of the English teams get tough draws.

I love it! It's been a while since we had a good conspiracy theory.

:D

Now that we are in the draw for the last 16 who do we want to play.

I am not sure but i don't think that we can't draw an english side in the first knock out round.

That leaves us ( as results are now) with the following options:

Panathinaikos( coached bij henk ten cate)

Barcelona

Bayern Munich( 3-0 up at lyon after 45 min)

Juventus( with good old claudio)

Porto ( 1-0 up after 45 min)

I would prefer the Greeks or porto again, but the second leg is away this time.

And a lot can happen in the january sales!!!!

Everything concluded now and our possible opponents in February are:

Panathinaikos

Barcelona,

Bayern Munich

Porto

Juventus

In order of preference (opting for what I would consider to be the easiest first) I would go for

Panathinaikos

Porto

Juventus

Bayern Munich

Barcelona

It's 11 weeks until the next match - 24th/25th Feb.

Essien could be back by then, fingers crossed for no more injuries between now and then.

Bring on Barca...

-----------------Cech----------------

-Bosingwa-----Alex----Terry----A.Cole-

----------------Mikel--------------

----Essien------Lampard----Ballack----

-------------Anelka--------------------

---------------------Drogba-----------

Bench: Carlo, Carvalho, Ivanovic, Belletti, J.Cole, Deco, Kalou.

On a strange twist, the teams that Barcelona can play are :

Inter

Chelsea

Arsenal

Lyon

Exactly who said finishing first is always a good thing ? :P

I would love to see another thriller with Barca, but it should be easier with Panathinaikos or Porto.

Anyway, if we want to be the best, we have to beat the best.

Edited by Virosh

If we play the way we can considering the talent we have on the pitch then we can beat anyone, including Barcelona.

But at the moment I would be very scared if we faced anyone but Panathinaikos or Porto. Those are the two I feel that we might beat at the moment.

However, I see us playing much better in 2009 (atleast I hope so) so I wouldn't mind facing Bayern Munich. But the easier the better.

I just hope we won't have to play against Barcelona or Juventus.

Barcelona simply because they look extremely good at the moment. Their highest lever are miles ahead of anyone else. It's scary.

Juventus simply because I support them and I don't want to have to chose between them and Chelsea. :P

And I wouldn't mind if Barcelona got Arsenal. That could be two great games.

I don't think Barca really have to fear anyone if they can field their best players. We SHOULDN'T have to fear anyone with the players we have, but we really need to clean up our act if we want to have any hope of going to the quarter finals. I do hope we will look like a different team when the knock out phase starts and it will be a good start when we start getting some of those injured players back to fitness and in good form. I've never been so glad that there's such a long break between the end of the group stage and the start of the knock out phase. Just keep the faith!

Everyone forgot ManU? We could face them right? They won their group. So my list starts with most favourable opponent:

1. Porto - lot of portugese players and Scolari should know the team we are just class above in quality

2. Panathinaikos - surprise to be top of their group. Henk is the coach and I think we would face the parked bus

3. Juventus - Ranieri is not CL mastermind, remember the Monaco game?

4. Barcelona - Lot of recent history between us and them. Would be really tight the two rounds, as usual.

5. Bayern Munich - In good form and their strikeduo scares me to be honest and Ribery would go round Bosingwa more than once.

6. Manchester United - No need to explain. Want to meet them in the final if possible.

Everyone forgot ManU? We could face them right? They won their group. So my list starts with most favourable opponent:

1. Porto - lot of portugese players and Scolari should know the team we are just class above in quality

2. Panathinaikos - surprise to be top of their group. Henk is the coach and I think we would face the parked bus

3. Juventus - Ranieri is not CL mastermind, remember the Monaco game?

4. Barcelona - Lot of recent history between us and them. Would be really tight the two rounds, as usual.

5. Bayern Munich - In good form and their strikeduo scares me to be honest and Ribery would go round Bosingwa more than once.

6. Manchester United - No need to explain. Want to meet them in the final if possible.

No we cannot meet Utd, or indeed anyone else from England untill the quarter finals.

Overall, Arsenal losing last night was good for us. It decreases our chances of being drawn against Barca which would be my least favourite opponent. I'm not sure there would be much to choose between Juve and Bayern. Panathinaikos or Porto would be best.

Where does this "beat the best to be the best" come from? I say let them all play each other and we'll just play the last one standing!

On a strange twist, the teams that Barcelona can play are :

Inter

Chelsea

Arsenal

Lyon

Exactly who said finishing first is always a good thing ? :lol:

I would love to see another thriller with Barca, but it should be easier with Panathinaikos or Porto.

Anyway, if we want to be the best, we have to beat the best.

If they draw Lyon, they're gonna explode them. No way that french team can compete with Barça.