2012 Academy Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woody Allen isn't in Midnight in Paris, moi, so at least you won't have to look at him. It's not overly romantic either. It's one of the few nominations I really enjoyed, but I'm a sucker for Hemingway, Dali, and others of the era.

 
By the way, went to pub quiz tonight and one of the questions was what was up for the most nominations this year. We wrote "Hugo" down and were correct, so me paying too much attention to the Oscars every year paid off.

 
Trying to get through all the nominated movies as well as the ones with nominated actors in them before the Oscars.

I'll have to see these movies:

"Hugo" - Best Picture

"My Week with Marilyn" - Actor in a Supporting Role (Kenneth Branagh) & Actress in a Leading Role (Michelle Williams)

"A Better Life" - Actor in a Leading Role (Demian Bichir)

"Beginners" - Actor in a Supporting Role (Christopher Plummer)

"Albert Nobbs" - Actress in a Leading Role (Glenn Close) & Actress in a Supporting Role (Janet McTeer)

"The Iron Lady" - Actress in a Leading Role (Meryl Streep)

If I have the time I'll also watch the animated movies "A Cat in Paris" and "Chico and Rita". Seen the other three nominated movies.

Think I'll skip the movies in "Foreign Language Film".

 
Trying to get through all the nominated movies as well as the ones with nominated actors in them before the Oscars.

I'll have to see these movies:

"Hugo" - Best Picture

"My Week with Marilyn" - Actor in a Supporting Role (Kenneth Branagh) & Actress in a Leading Role (Michelle Williams)

"A Better Life" - Actor in a Leading Role (Demian Bichir)

"Beginners" - Actor in a Supporting Role (Christopher Plummer)

"Albert Nobbs" - Actress in a Leading Role (Glenn Close) & Actress in a Supporting Role (Janet McTeer)

"The Iron Lady" - Actress in a Leading Role (Meryl Streep)

If I have the time I'll also watch the animated movies "A Cat in Paris" and "Chico and Rita". Seen the other three nominated movies.

Think I'll skip the movies in "Foreign Language Film".
Replace "Beginners" with "War Horse" and that's basically what is nominated for major awards that I have yet to see. I am planning on skipping "The Iron Lady" and "Albert Nobbs" entirely though, and am only going to end up watching "War Horse" because my girlfriend's parents said it was good, hence making her want to watch it.

I know the Academy Awards are not the final word of what is good and what isn't, but it seems like this year's nominations are even more mediocre than usual.

 
I agree, ace.

Even my favorite film of the bunch, The Descendants, has a flaw that's given me writer's block. Normally if I like a movie I can write my notes very quickly. And 99.9% of The Descendants is pitch-perfect. But there's one short, key scene that is just completely off-key. Almost like a studio executive somewhere said it had to be there so they went back and reshot the thing.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
For fun, here are the picks I submitted to our Oscar Pool:

Picture: The Artist

Director: Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist)

Actor: Jean Dujardin

Actress: Viola Davis

Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer

Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer

Original Screenplay: Woody Allen (Midnight in Paris)

Adapted: Alexander Payne, Jim Rash (The Descendants) (two of my favorite people, although for very different reasons!)

Animated (tiebreaker): Rango

 
Love that Sacha Baron Cohen dumped "ashes" on Ryan Seacrest.

 
how badly did seacrest take it too? talk about humour bypass...just summed up what people at the oscars are all about, they just takemselves far too seriously...bit extremely unfunny as usual, billy crystal''s opening has been done many times before (by him) and was just tedious, as was his singing...this is why ricky gervais slagging them all off is so entertaining (though he bottled it at the globes this year)

 
Tom Cruise has the best plastic surgeon in the world.

He's 49 years old and he doesn't look a day over 35. Remarkable.

 
Adapted: Alexander Payne, Jim Rash (The Descendants) (two of my favorite people, although for very different reasons!)
Jim Rash has been one of my favourite people ever since I started watching Community, he's an absolute legend in that!

 
Jim Rash has been one of my favourite people ever since I started watching Community, he's an absolute legend in that!
Me too. He is so damn funny in that show.

Alexander Payne went to my high school, so was glad to see him pick up another trophy.

 
Typical Academy Awards nonsense.

Best Original Score is won by The Artist. Which happened to steal its most important music from Vertigo, scored by Bernard Herrmann. Being a silent film, The Artist has lots of other music. But when a film steals another film's score for its most important scenes, I can't see how it wins Best Original Score.

The Oscars are a joke.

 
The Oscars are a joke.
I watched all of it last night. Beginning to wonder why I keep doing that. I love movies but it's just hard to take these awards seriously.

 
problem is there are hardly any good movies made anymore...average ones are now billed as 'classics'...yet when the ceremony has one of its nostalgia, let's look at the past moments, all the clips are from years ago...you hardly see any, if at all, from films made in the last 10-20 years...thought last night also was one of the biggest displays of botox/plastic surgery i've ever seen...from billy crystal, to brad pitt, to tom cruise (that's just the guys) they all seemed to have had it done and it shouldn't fool anybody...they just looked weird, not young

 
problem is there are hardly any good movies made anymore...
The really good ones usually slip under the radar. I will say the Oscars at least nominated a couple of my favorites from the last year or two (Winter's Bone, Moneyball, The Descendants) but they completely miss good ones as well. I mean, The Guard is a top drawer black comedy and no-one gives it any recognition.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top