BlueBeard
First Team Regular
- Messages
- 6,073
- Reaction score
- 169
In the 'what is going on?' thread, Loud And Proud commented that Frank Lampard was possibly the best player signed by a Chelsea manager. Got me thinking about the transfer signings we've made over the years - who do you think is/was the best, and for what reason?
To my mind, the following players were among the best transfer signings we've made, mostly because they were virtual unknowns at the time, and became Chelsea heroes.
Charlie Cooke - bought for ?72,500 from Dundee in April 1966 by Tommy Docherty.
Ian Hutchinson - bought from Cambridge Utd. (then in the Southern League) for just ?2,500 in July 1968 by Dave Sexton.
David Webb - bought for ?40,000 from Southampton (part-exchange with Joe Kirkup) in February 1968 by Dave Sexton.
John Dempsey - bought for ?70,000 from Fulham (part-exchange with Barry Lloyd) in January 1969 by Dave Sexton. Not exactly an unknown, but a great signing nonetheless!
Eddie Niedzwiecki - bought for just ?45,000 from Wrexham in June 1983 by Johnny Neal.
Pat Nevin - bought for ?95,000 from Clyde in July 1983 by Johnny Neal.
Kerry Dixon - bought from Reading for just ?150,000 (plus ?25,000 later) in August 1983 by Johnny Neal.
But obviously there have been loads of other great signings over the years, including the likes of Gullit, Zola, Desailly, Vialli, Hughes, Flo, Petrescu, Di Matteo, Lampard, Cech etc......far too many to think of, let alone mention (I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this now, I'm getting a headache)
So, who do you think is/are the best?
On the other hand, who would you say was the worst transfer signing we've made? Gawd knows, there's been a few!
Could include Robert Fleck, Enrique De Lucas, Mark Bosnich, Juan Sebastian Veron.....though I've got a feeling Winston Bogarde will get quite a few mentions
It's up to you, but I don't think it would be fair to include any players who are still in their first season at the club
To my mind, the following players were among the best transfer signings we've made, mostly because they were virtual unknowns at the time, and became Chelsea heroes.
Charlie Cooke - bought for ?72,500 from Dundee in April 1966 by Tommy Docherty.
Ian Hutchinson - bought from Cambridge Utd. (then in the Southern League) for just ?2,500 in July 1968 by Dave Sexton.
David Webb - bought for ?40,000 from Southampton (part-exchange with Joe Kirkup) in February 1968 by Dave Sexton.
John Dempsey - bought for ?70,000 from Fulham (part-exchange with Barry Lloyd) in January 1969 by Dave Sexton. Not exactly an unknown, but a great signing nonetheless!
Eddie Niedzwiecki - bought for just ?45,000 from Wrexham in June 1983 by Johnny Neal.
Pat Nevin - bought for ?95,000 from Clyde in July 1983 by Johnny Neal.
Kerry Dixon - bought from Reading for just ?150,000 (plus ?25,000 later) in August 1983 by Johnny Neal.
But obviously there have been loads of other great signings over the years, including the likes of Gullit, Zola, Desailly, Vialli, Hughes, Flo, Petrescu, Di Matteo, Lampard, Cech etc......far too many to think of, let alone mention (I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this now, I'm getting a headache)
So, who do you think is/are the best?
On the other hand, who would you say was the worst transfer signing we've made? Gawd knows, there's been a few!
Could include Robert Fleck, Enrique De Lucas, Mark Bosnich, Juan Sebastian Veron.....though I've got a feeling Winston Bogarde will get quite a few mentions
It's up to you, but I don't think it would be fair to include any players who are still in their first season at the club