Comedy films - they aint what they used to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh- little miss sunshine came out recently- forgot about that. and there was being john malkovich a few years ago...

p.s.

Take off the blinkers of age and walk outside your viewing comfort zone with them 'y'ong-uns' for a while. You'll be amazed what you can find out there in the wild blue yonder if you're brave enough to look.
what does that mean?

 
I thought American Beauty was hilarious. Surely it wasn't inadvertent.

 
Take off the blinkers of age and walk outside your viewing comfort zone with them 'y'ong-uns' for a while. You'll be amazed what you can find out there in the wild blue yonder if you're brave enough to look.
I think it's supposed to be "wide blue yonder". I can't remember where it comes from, but I think it's a quote from a film. Brian would probably know which film. I can't remember.

 
I think it's supposed to be "wide blue yonder". I can't remember where it comes from, but I think it's a quote from a film. Brian would probably know which film. I can't remember.
It can be used either way Jane:

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/into+the+wide+blue+yonderhttp://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/int ... lue+yonder

But, it's a good spot. I meant to use Wide, but was caught thinking about the Herzog Film.

PS: I love being pulled up on this sort of stuff by the way! (quite honestly). It's the anal retentive writer in me. And, almost masochistically, look forward to getting rapped across the knuckles for making a mistake. (which helps me get it right the next time). English is such a wonderful language. An almost living thing, its uses ebb and flow with the tide of acceptability. What was in, is now out. What was out, is now in, but with a different usage and meaning. After all, if I'm 'gay' today, will I be as 'happy' as back in the 1930s?
icon_wink.gif


English: it's such a simple language to use. Yet so very hard to use well.

 
Speaking of the Coen brothers has anyone seen 'Blood Simple' - haven't seen it myself but keep meaning to get hold of it. I thought 'The Man Who Wasn't There' was a superb film and Miller's Crossing was also excellent and hence I would really like to see BLood Simple to see how it compares.
It compares very favourably Loz in that it is better than both of those. Watch it.
Got it for Christmas and finally got round to watching it on Monday night Liam. Excellent film, not, in my opinion, on a par with 'The Man Who Wasn't There' but excellent nevertheless.

 
was close to watching fargo last weekend- at a friends and we rented it, but ended up watching airplane...

 
The American Pie franchise are terrible. High School/ Frat Boy humor, but there is a market for that. In fact, Animal house could be classed in the same bracket. However, I feel that comedies that are "in your face" leave little up to interpretation; whereas, the likes of caddyshack, animal house, airplane, naked gun, monty python etc. all leave some of the humour up to individual interpretation.

It's a bit like reading a book, then watching the film based on the book. The film never really lives up to your interpretation. Todays' society loves the more apparent humour, but thankfully you get little joys that come along like "little Miss Sunshine" or "Life Acquatic" and many others that leave the humour up to the individual. The shock comedy of many movies are usually as intelligent as the actors appearing in them

Scott

 
was close to watching fargo last weekend- at a friends and we rented it, but ended up watching airplane...
Fargo, now there's a good movie. You even get some swedish cursing in it. Peter Stormare plays Gaear Grimsrud and on one occasion he says "Jävla fitta" which in english would be "f*cking c*nt".
happy0034.gif


 
Airplane is my favourite comedy film, makes me laugh everytime
icon_lol.gif


Shaun of the Dead was mentioned - probably my favourite 'modern' funny flick. Also I loooove Mean Girls, but that could just be a girl thing?
icon_wink.gif


Pink Panther was the worst film I have ever seen, no contest... and I've seen Freddy vs. Jason..!
nono.gif


 
Old School and Anchorman are my all time favorites. Will Ferrel's the funniest guy. Hot Fuzz is a great movie too.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top