I think the film has one problem and that is the main character. Because the main character is such an introvert and outsider, he seemed very cold and distant in the movie. I know that's exactly as he's supposed to come across as, and I suppose Sam Riley does a great job in this sense, but when the character feels so distant, it's hard to feel sympathy for the character, especially when he acts the way he does towards his loved ones. It's a tragic tale, but it never really "delivered" on the emotional level. Anton Corbijn obviously knows how to create impressive imagery, but you need more than just surface to make a good movie. It's not bad, mind you, but on emotional level there aren't any real highs or lows. The movie just proceeds towards the inevitable end without ever really managing to pull you in, which I suppose is quite fitting when you consider that the movie is based on a book called "Touching from a Distance", but when the death of your main character doesn't feel any more dramatic than the rest of the movie, I think the director has done something wrong. For some reason Curtis' death felt like a "bigger deal"(so to speak) in 24 Hour Party People, although that movie was much lighter and had many comedic elements in it. If you've got it recorded, I think it's worth watching if you have two hours of spare time, but it's not a "must see" movie. Especially if Ian Curtis means nothing to you.