Movies and all it includes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen Actors Guild Awards 2008

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series

"Sopranos, The" (1999) - Edie Falco

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series

"Sopranos, The" (1999) - James Gandolfini

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

There Will Be Blood (2007) - Daniel Day-Lewis

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series

"30 Rock" (2006) - Tina Fey

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series

"30 Rock" (2006) - Alec Baldwin

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

Away from Her (2006) - Julie Christie

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

American Gangster (2007) - Ruby Dee

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

No Country for Old Men (2007) - Javier Bardem

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

No Country for Old Men (2007) - Javier Bardem; Josh Brolin; Garret Dillahunt; Tess Harper; Woody Harrelson; Tommy Lee Jones; Kelly Macdonald

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series

"Office, The" (2005) - Leslie David Baker; Brian Baumgartner; Creed Bratton; Steve Carell; Jenna Fischer; Kate Flannery; Melora Hardin; Ed Helms; Mindy Kaling; Angela Kinsey; John Krasinski; Paul Lieberstein; B.J. Novak; Oscar Nuñez; Phyllis Smith; Rainn Wilson

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

"Sopranos, The" (1999) - Greg Antonacci; Lorraine Bracco; Edie Falco; James Gandolfini; Dan Grimaldi; Robert Iler; Michael Imperioli; Arthur J. Nascarella; Steve Schirripa; Matt Servitto; Jamie-Lynn Sigler; Tony Sirico; Aida Turturro; Steve Van Zandt; Frank Vincent

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries

Life Support (2007) (TV) - Queen Latifah

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries

As You Like It (2006) - Kevin Kline

Life Achievement Award

Charles Durning

 
I think giving Ruby Dee awards or even nominate her is ridiculous. She had a very small part in American Gangster. This is just one of those "she's nice and old let's give her some glory" kind of things.

I'm not saying that she was bad in American Gangster. Actually, she was really good, but her part wasn't a supporting role. It was smaller than that.

Having said that Dame Judy Dench got an Oscar for like 8 minutes in Shakespear In Love so...

I feel a bit sorry for the guys nominated for "best actor" alongside Daniel Day-Lewis. He has already won the Golden Globe and the SAG award and he will also win the Oscar. No question about it.

 
of course, hopkins won his oscar for literally about 20 minutes of screen time.

 
Well I have seen the movie and read about 80 pages of the book so I will give it a try.I first read the book. Well, the first 80 pages or so anyway. But I didn't like it. Nothing happened. Well, okay, some things happened but not any major things. I just kept reading about the characters (which can be interesting) and about Brionys fantasies.

In the end I gave up. My mother too, though she gave up earlier.

As for the different sections I'm not sure exactly what you mean, Loz, as I haven't read the entire book. But I think I can guess what you mean and I would then say that the movie handles it well.
Sorry Moos only just noticed this.

(WARNING – if you plan to read the book or see the film best not read on)

The book is split into four distinct parts (long time since I read it but if I recall it is simply called Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 – can’t remember tf the parts are actually named) with those parts being

1. Predominantly focused on the day from the fountain incident to the rape with a bit of build up over Briony’s play etc and obviously introducing the central characters and the class element

2. Robbie during WWII and his journey toward Dunkirk with the two …err was it Corporals?

3. Briony as a nurse spelling out the whole fact that this is her attempting to make some kind of amends for what she did (hence the title of the novel)

4. Briony as an old lady and the realisation that much of the book is a work of Briony’s fiction and that Robbie and Cecilia were never reunited as both were killed by the war and you realise that all Briony’s attempts to forgive herself for what she did are entirely fictional and an attempt to rid herself of her guilt, which she never could do.

In essence it is a pretty straight forward start to end story with a bit of a time jump whilst Robbie is in prison and then obviously between the third and fourth parts. You could argue that the ending is a little unsatisfying and I had to read the last part a couple of times to pick up on what actually happened (not really a problem as it is short) however it is stunningly well written. Ian McEwan has a phenomenal grasp of language and I am very surprised you found it hard going – did you read it in English or a translation? If it was a translation maybe a little of the quality of the language was lost (which is always possible). How can you say nothing major happened in the first 80 pages!

It was actually the language more than anything that I enjoyed about the book which is why I was a tad wary about the film.

 
Well I have seen the movie and read about 80 pages of the book so I will give it a try.

I first read the book. Well, the first 80 pages or so anyway. But I didn't like it. Nothing happened. Well, okay, some things happened but not any major things. I just kept reading about the characters (which can be interesting) and about Brionys fantasies.

In the end I gave up. My mother too, though she gave up earlier.

As for the different sections I'm not sure exactly what you mean, Loz, as I haven't read the entire book. But I think I can guess what you mean and I would then say that the movie handles it well.
Sorry Moos only just noticed this.

(WARNING – if you plan to read the book or see the film best not read on)

The book is split into four distinct parts (long time since I read it but if I recall it is simply called Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 – can’t remember tf the parts are actually named) with those parts being

1. Predominantly focused on the day from the fountain incident to the rape with a bit of build up over Briony’s play etc and obviously introducing the central characters and the class element

2. Robbie during WWII and his journey toward Dunkirk with the two …err was it Corporals?

3. Briony as a nurse spelling out the whole fact that this is her attempting to make some kind of amends for what she did (hence the title of the novel)

4. Briony as an old lady and the realisation that much of the book is a work of Briony’s fiction and that Robbie and Cecilia were never reunited as both were killed by the war and you realise that all Briony’s attempts to forgive herself for what she did are entirely fictional and an attempt to rid herself of her guilt, which she never could do.

In essence it is a pretty straight forward start to end story with a bit of a time jump whilst Robbie is in prison and then obviously between the third and fourth parts. You could argue that the ending is a little unsatisfying and I had to read the last part a couple of times to pick up on what actually happened (not really a problem as it is short) however it is stunningly well written. Ian McEwan has a phenomenal grasp of language and I am very surprised you found it hard going – did you read it in English or a translation? If it was a translation maybe a little of the quality of the language was lost (which is always possible). How can you say nothing major happened in the first 80 pages!

It was actually the language more than anything that I enjoyed about the book which is why I was a tad wary about the film.
I read it in english. I always read in english (unless it's a swedish book of course).

And I can't really say that much has happened. Leon (the brother) has returned but I can't remember if that situation with the vase has happened yet.

And it's like 30 pages left until the incident with the letter happens.

 
just a little heads up about a belting little film i got last week. its called shark v eagle, got one of the blokes out of flight of the concords on it and its very, very good. similar to napolean dynamite. not action packed but excellent.

 
just a little heads up about a belting little film i got last week. its called shark v eagle, got one of the blokes out of flight of the concords on it and its very, very good. similar to napolean dynamite. not action packed but excellent.
If it's anything like Napoleon Dynamite then I'll stay way clear of it. I hated Napoleon. One of the worst movies I've ever seen (and I've seen some crap ones)
icon_mad.gif


 
Atonement is one of the best books I've ever read, the second part describing the Dunkirk retreat is quite stunning in it's (so I'm told) accuracy and detail. I leant the book to my father who leant it to someone else, and I haven't seen it since. Not to worry. The last Ian McKewen book I read was called "Saturday", very different from "Atonement", in scope and subject matter, but is still an excellent book, well worth checking out.

 
Atonement is one of the best books I've ever read, the second part describing the Dunkirk retreat is quite stunning in it's (so I'm told) accuracy and detail. I leant the book to my father who leant it to someone else, and I haven't seen it since. Not to worry. The last Ian McKewen book I read was called "Saturday", very different from "Atonement", in scope and subject matter, but is still an excellent book, well worth checking out.
Have you read "Cement Garden"? I've bought it but haven't read it yet. Do you know if it's any good?

 
Atonement is one of the best books I've ever read, the second part describing the Dunkirk retreat is quite stunning in it's (so I'm told) accuracy and detail. I leant the book to my father who leant it to someone else, and I haven't seen it since. Not to worry. The last Ian McKewen book I read was called "Saturday", very different from "Atonement", in scope and subject matter, but is still an excellent book, well worth checking out.
Agreed Lofty - the section on the retreat is superb and like you I have heard it is very close to the truth. That doesn't really surprise me as McEwan is known for his attention to detail and the phenominal amount of research he does to make sure he does portray key things in their truest light.

McEwan is simply a superb writer and even when he writes something which is maybe not on a par with his very best you can always guarantee the language will be excellent. 'Enduring Love' is a stunning book (for me his very best) and the opening chapter is as good as any opening chapter in any book you will ever read.

 
Atonement is one of the best books I've ever read, the second part describing the Dunkirk retreat is quite stunning in it's (so I'm told) accuracy and detail. I leant the book to my father who leant it to someone else, and I haven't seen it since. Not to worry. The last Ian McKewen book I read was called "Saturday", very different from "Atonement", in scope and subject matter, but is still an excellent book, well worth checking out.
Have you read "Cement Garden"? I've bought it but haven't read it yet. Do you know if it's any good?
I haven't but I've seen the film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106535/

Very strange, another one of those films that takes place in it's own little self-contained universe. To be watched with an open mind.

McEwan is simply a superb writer and even when he writes something which is maybe not on a par with his very best you can always guarantee the language will be excellent. 'Enduring Love' is a stunning book (for me his very best) and the opening chapter is as good as any opening chapter in any book you will ever read.
Coincidentally, this is another film I've seen based on another Ian McEwan book I haven't read:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375735/

This is from the same director as Notting Hill, unless I'm mistaken, but a romantic comedy it ain't. More of a black comedy, it features a very strong cast, including Daniel Craig, Samantha Morton, Bill Nighy and Rhys Ifans.

Well worth checking out.

 
The film comes across as more of a black comedy than the book with both genre's being well worth experiencing. Must admit I had never heard of Clerambault's syndrome before reading the book. Now that I have I can start to understand what Moos is going through
icon_wink.gif


 
Hmmm...just read it on Empire's website that apparently not only Johnny Depp, but also Jude Law and Colin Farrell have been hired to play the character that Heath Ledger was supposed to play in Terry Gilliam's new movie(The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus). I remember reading that Ledger had already started filming his scenes, so it will be interesting to see how Gilliam will handle this character that will be played by four different actors. If the news about Depp, Law, and Farrell are true, that is, and if any of Ledger's footage will be used. Very interesting...I hope it's not just some gimmick.

 
Anyone seen The Darjeeling Limited?

[youtube:sikwp3w5]

[/youtube:sikwp3w5]I went to see it yesterday and I really liked it. I warn you though, that if you haven't liked Wes Anderson's earlier movies, I you're probably not gonna like this one, but I think it may even be his best yet.

 
I like the Darjeerling, thought it was pretty funny, but didn't like it as a film quite as much as the Life Acquatic with Steve Zissou

Well worth seeing, and I think that all 3 of the main actors perform really well

 
Hmmm...I liked Life Aquatic, but at the moment it's probably my least favourite Wes Anderson movie. Then again, I've liked them all so far. I haven't seen Bottle Rocket, though. Did you see Hotel Chevalier before The Darjeeling Limited? I've understood it wasn't always shown before the main feature in USA.

 
yeah I did see it, and great reference back to it later in the movie

 
Saw Iron Man on Friday. As superhero movies go... I think this might be the coolest one ever. When I first heard of Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark I thought 'really? him?'. It's not like I have any preferences in mind and I quite like Downey Jr. I think he pulls it off surprisingly well. Will definitely get the DVD for this.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top